[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Problem Downloading .Zoo files...

macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca (05/15/91)

I'm having a bit of a problem downloading .ZOO files from the ab20
archives and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered the the
same thing - The .Zoo file downloads fine, and unpacks on my 500 without
complaint, however, when I try to run it, I get the error
"File is not an object module" - is there anything that must be done to
the file before it's downloaded from our Vax785?  Or is there something
that needs to be done to the file once it's been transfered to the Amiga?
I haven't encountered this problem with .LZH files as of yet, so it seems
that there's something peculiar with the .ZOO files...

RM - macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca
     macausr@newton.ccs.tuns.ca

peraue@cs.vu.nl (Raue Paul Erik) (05/16/91)

macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca writes:

>I'm having a bit of a problem downloading .ZOO files from the ab20
>archives and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered the the
>same thing - The .Zoo file downloads fine, and unpacks on my 500 without
>complaint, however, when I try to run it, I get the error
>"File is not an object module" - is there anything that must be done to
>the file before it's downloaded from our Vax785?  Or is there something
>that needs to be done to the file once it's been transfered to the Amiga?
>I haven't encountered this problem with .LZH files as of yet, so it seems
>that there's something peculiar with the .ZOO files...

>RM - macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca
>     macausr@newton.ccs.tuns.ca

Try looking at the protection bits of the program itself. These should read
----rwed or --p-rwed. They are probably set to ----rw-- maybe because the
archives are packed on a different machine (I have that problem when packing
on UNIX). Use the protect program to set the protection bits to rwed and
you should have no more problems.

Good luck, Paul-Erik Raue (peraue@cs.vu.nl)

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (05/19/91)

m> I'm having a bit of a problem downloading .ZOO files from the ab20 archives
m> and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered the the same thing - The
m> .Zoo file downloads fine, and unpacks on my 500 without complaint, however,
m> when I try to run it, I get the error "File is not an object module" - is
m> there anything that must be done to the file before it's downloaded from
m> our Vax785?  Or is there something that needs to be done to the file once
m> it's been transfered to the Amiga?  I haven't encountered this problem with
m> .LZH files as of yet, so it seems that there's something peculiar with the
m> .ZOO files...

Hmmm.  Are you downloading to a VMS system first?  If you are, it may be a
problem with the file type conversion of the file on VMS.  If you are using
VMS ZOO, there should be a program called BILF to help with file types.  Check
the documentation for ZOO.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"