[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Whats the best printer for < $600?

billb@gdfwc3 (Bill Baumann) (05/20/91)

I'm looking for a good printer, and have somewhere less than $600 to spend.

Here's my minimal needs :

   - excellent black and white for desk top publishing
   - decent color for pictures in documents
   - speed, sometime today is fine
   - can feed envelopes
   - a decent Amiga printer driver

What technologies are the best?
   Laser   - $$$, and forget color.
   Jet     - black and white is a little smeary, lower res, and the jets get
             clogged.
   24 Pin  - the pins can be noticable, colors not sharp, or deep.

any suggestions/recommendations are much appreciated.

	thanks,
		billb (texsun!gdfwc3!teddy!billb)

jkummer@isis.cs.du.edu (James Kummer) (05/21/91)

------------- (portion deleted) ------------------

--------------- (portion deleted) -------------------------
>>What technologies are the best?
>   Laser   - $$$, and forget color.
>   Jet     - black and white is a little smeary, lower res, and the jets
get
>             clogged.
>>>
>any suggestions/recommendations are much appreciated.

I have an HP PaintJet - black and white is _never_ smeary, and I don't
believe that the jets have _ever_ clogged before running dry.  The
PaintJet II is available, so you may be able to get the original
PaintJet for around $600 - I haven't checked recently.  One drawback for
my PaintJet:  it is strongly recommended that you use the (more
expensive) clay-coated paper.

--
--- Regards ----------- Jim Kummer ----