[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Basic AmigaDOS questions

cygnus@yaya.wpi.edu (Marshall Robin) (05/22/91)

How do you create an icon for a file that doesn't have one?
what is the .info file for?

I'll probably have loads more questions, so...

Can someone refer me to a good ref manual concerning these and other
AmigaDOS questions?

thanx
marshall

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (05/23/91)

cygnus@yaya.wpi.edu (Marshall Robin) writes:

>How do you create an icon for a file that doesn't have one?
>what is the .info file for?

The .info files are the icons that the Workbench displays.
Disk.info is the icon for a given volume. (one per disk please).
They also contain other info, like the TOOLTYPEs and STACK size variables.

>I'll probably have loads more questions, so...

>Can someone refer me to a good ref manual concerning these and other
>AmigaDOS questions?

Strictly speaking AmigaDOS is only a part of the entire AmigaOS.
AmigaDOS doesn't know that #?.info files are anything special - but
the Workbench does.

The best reference is of course the ROM Kernel Manuals.

phil@phd.UUCP (H Phil Duby) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May22.191303.20169@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) writes:
> cygnus@yaya.wpi.edu (Marshall Robin) writes:
>
> >How do you create an icon for a file that doesn't have one?
> >what is the .info file for?
>
> The .info files are the icons that the Workbench displays.
> Disk.info is the icon for a given volume. (one per disk please).
> They also contain other info, like the TOOLTYPEs and STACK size variables.

Different types of files need different types of icons.  They are all
info, but have somewhat different data stored in them.  There are (at
least) project, tool, disk, drawer, garbage icon types.  The easiest way to
add an icon to a file is to copy an existing .info file <OF THE CORRECT
ICON TYPE> to the name of the file, adding a .info extension.  If you want
customized graphics, the iconed program will let you modify the graphic.
Several of the Amiga paint programs also will create/modify icons.
IconEd's only advantage is that it comes with AmigaDos.  It has nothing to
recommend it otherwise.

> >I'll probably have loads more questions, so...
>
> >Can someone refer me to a good ref manual concerning these and other
> >AmigaDOS questions?
>
> Strictly speaking AmigaDOS is only a part of the entire AmigaOS.
> AmigaDOS doesn't know that #?.info files are anything special - but
> the Workbench does.
>
> The best reference is of course the ROM Kernel Manuals.
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Fine reference <IF> you are a programmer, otherwise not.

H. Phil Duby                     uunet!keyword!calgary!ajfcal!mtroyal!phd!phil
(AMiga Users of Calgary)         AMUCexpress BBS - 650 meg PD Software
Fido net node 1:134/27     (403) 282-5137/5171/5224/5238 3/12/24/24 MNP bps

axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu (05/26/91)

In article <phil.7854@phd.UUCP>, phil@phd.UUCP (H Phil Duby) replies:

>> >I'll probably have loads more questions, so...
>>
>> >Can someone refer me to a good ref manual concerning these and other
>> >AmigaDOS questions?
>>
>> Strictly speaking AmigaDOS is only a part of the entire AmigaOS.
>> AmigaDOS doesn't know that #?.info files are anything special - but
>> the Workbench does.
>>
>> The best reference is of course the ROM Kernel Manuals.
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Fine reference <IF> you are a programmer, otherwise not.
>
> H. Phil Duby                     uunet!keyword!calgary!ajfcal!mtroyal!phd!phil
> (AMiga Users of Calgary)         AMUCexpress BBS - 650 meg PD Software
> Fido net node 1:134/27     (403) 282-5137/5171/5224/5238 3/12/24/24 MNP bps

1. Not being a programmer myself, my first thought was the same as H. Phil
Duby's - ROM kernel Manuals seem advanced.

2. If you're using wb2.0, so far I've found the AmigaWorld "Official AmigaDOS 2
companion" book quite friendly and readable.  I'm pretty sure they had
a wb1.3 book similar.  You can get it at a WALDENS bookstore or any bookstore
or through the AmigaWorld magazine itself.

Hope this helps you like it helps this beginner (beginner on Amigas not
computers by the way  :)

--
Pam Woods                              Email:  Internet: axpmw@acad2.alaska.edu
University Of Alaska Anchorage                 Bitnet:   axpmw@alaska