[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] random A3000 questions

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (05/15/91)

In article <jms.4345@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>Well, I decided to Power-Up, and I have a few questions about the 3000
>before it gets here.  I know some of these might sound stupid, but the
>local dealer doesn't have any 3000 systems on display, and in fact had to
>order one for me.

If you feel like it's a stupid question, put it on
comp.sys.amiga.introduction.

>(1)  I'm sticking with my 1084S monitor because I can't afford a 1950 and
>I really don't care about the new graphics modes anyway.  Will the A3000
>support the weight of the 1084S safely?

The non-flicker interlaced screens are really nice.  You'll want the
1950 if you don't have it.  The A3000 case is built solidly.  It
should be able to handle a heavy monitor.

>Is it magnetically safe for
>the floppy disk drive, since the 1950 is elevated a few inches but the
>1084S won't be?

The metal case should solve this problem.

>(2)  When the final 2.x ROM comes out, will it still allow booting 1.3
>(either from floppy or HD) if I need it?

CBM would be making a big mistake if they don't, but I don't see what
would stop them.

>For that matter, will I get a set
>of 1.3 and 2.0 floppies with the system?

Yes, and it comes installed on the hard drive, too.

>And why are there two sets of ROM
>sockets on the motherboard?

It takes bigger ROMS.

>And a question I don't think I've ever seen
>anywhere:  Is it possible to plug in a 1.3 ROM to save RAM?

Eeek.  You don't want to do this.  You really want the 2.0 ROM.

>(3)  Is there a manual for ARexx included, or will I want to buy one?

ARexx is described with the rest of the stuff.  I haven't looked at
that section of the manual, but the rest is pretty good.

>(4)  Did the improved speech system (announced back when it was 1.4) make
>it into 2.0 yet?  Are there any improvements to the printer drivers?

Yes.  It still stinks.  Of course, I have spent a lot of time working
at Speech Technology Laboratory, and their stuff makes most thing
sound bad.

>(5)  Is there enough memory left with Kickstart in RAM to do a one-pass
>one-drive floppy copy?

Well, let's see: 2 megs - 0.5 meg = 1.5 meg.  Assuming you don't need
880k of contiguous RAM, you should be ok.   I just copy the disk to
RAM:, then copy it back to a blank floppy.

					-Dan
           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (05/16/91)

In article <8974@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:

>If you feel like it's a stupid question, put it on
>comp.sys.amiga.introduction.

I don't get that one.

>>And why are there two sets of ROM
>>sockets on the motherboard?
>
>It takes bigger ROMS.

I don't mean two sockets, I mean two sets of sockets.  In the picture in
the June '90 AmigaWorld, there are *four* ROM sockets.  Two have EPROMs in
them, two are empty and labeled "alternate ROM sockets."

>>And a question I don't think I've ever seen
>>anywhere:  Is it possible to plug in a 1.3 ROM to save RAM?
>
>Eeek.	You don't want to do this.  You really want the 2.0 ROM.

I probably should've explained myself better.  I didn't mean getting rid of
the 2.0 ROM.  I meant plugging a 1.3 ROM into one of the empty sockets.
After all, even when the final version of 2.0 is in ROM, if I want to load
1.3 it'll still take up my fast RAM.  (I am NOT being fearful of 2.0, just
cautious!)

>>(5)  Is there enough memory left with Kickstart in RAM to do a one-pass
>>one-drive floppy copy?
>
>Well, let's see: 2 megs - 0.5 meg = 1.5 meg.  Assuming you don't need
>880k of contiguous RAM, you should be ok.   I just copy the disk to
>RAM:, then copy it back to a blank floppy.

That's one possibility, but what I was really interested in was Diskcopy.
I think that a single-drive Diskcopy (even at least some 1.3's) will copy
all 80 tracks into RAM in one pass, then write them all out.  Am I wrong?

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "You know I never knew
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | that it could be so

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (05/17/91)

In article <jms.4357@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
   >>And why are there two sets of ROM
   >>sockets on the motherboard?
   >
   >It takes bigger ROMS.

   I don't mean two sockets, I mean two sets of sockets.  In the picture in
   the June '90 AmigaWorld, there are *four* ROM sockets.  Two have EPROMs in
   them, two are empty and labeled "alternate ROM sockets."

Preproduction machines had EPROM sockets for testing. Production
machines have ROMs, and there aren't even sockets in the EPROM (at
least, that's what mine had last night). The space for the EPROMs is
waste. There are two 16 bit wide ROMS/EPROMS so you get 32 bit wide
ROM on the machine.

   >>And a question I don't think I've ever seen
   >>anywhere:  Is it possible to plug in a 1.3 ROM to save RAM?
   >
   >Eeek.	You don't want to do this.  You really want the 2.0 ROM.

   I probably should've explained myself better.  I didn't mean getting rid of
   the 2.0 ROM.  I meant plugging a 1.3 ROM into one of the empty sockets.
   After all, even when the final version of 2.0 is in ROM, if I want to load
   1.3 it'll still take up my fast RAM.  (I am NOT being fearful of 2.0, just
   cautious!)

You might be able to get 1.3 on EPROM, but why bother? If you're going
to run 1.3, you'll need a 1.3 System partition. Just put a kickstart
image on that, and run it from there. This is assuming someone comes
out with a hack to let you do that (CBM probably won't do it for you).

However, I can't see why you'd want to. I gave up on 1.3 months ago -
the bugs in it were far more annoying than the incompatabilities in
2.0. Of course, I only had one critical application that had anything
worse than cosmetic problems, and that was fixed by a free upgrade.

	<mike
--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		mwm@pa.dec.com

In article <8974@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>In article <jms.4345@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:

>>(2)  When the final 2.x ROM comes out, will it still allow booting 1.3
>>(either from floppy or HD) if I need it?

>CBM would be making a big mistake if they don't, but I don't see what
>would stop them.

If you're booting from ROM, obviously there's not 1.3 and 2.0x in the same
ROM.  However, it's always technically possible to run 1.3 on an A3000, if
you must.  I doubt you'll want to.  Anyway, I do the exact opposite on my
A2500 with my SetCPU program: I boot from the 1.3 ROM, and under 1.3 do
nothing but load 2.0x from disk.  The system reboots, 2.0x is in place, and
I take it from there.  A version of SetCPU could do just this on the A3000,
thought the current SetCPU V1.6 might get confused about an A3000; it's
never had to run ROM images on the 3000.

>>For that matter, will I get a set
>>of 1.3 and 2.0 floppies with the system?

>Yes, and it comes installed on the hard drive, too.

It does currently.  When 2.0x goes into ROM, there's no telling what they'll
do with 1.3, but I doubt it'll ship with the A3000.  2.0x in ROM is an
indication that its really time to forget about 1.3.

>>And why are there two sets of ROM
>>sockets on the motherboard?

>It takes bigger ROMS.

Well, actually, 2.0x will fit in one of those ROMs.  In order to have a
reasonably fast ROM, the A3000 uses two of them, to give you a 32 bit wide
ROM.  The two sets were for your choice of ROM or EPROM, since back when we
made the A3000, Intel didn't make any EPROMs compatible with the industry
standard 256Kx16 ROM.  Now they do, so the second set of sockets will probably
disappear some day (it's not on the A3000T motherboard, for example).

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.