[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Adding Icons to executable files

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) (05/27/91)

Okay, this mite be a dumb question but...

Is it possible to generate a .info file for an executable that didn't
have one in the first place, using IconEd? I tried it once and when I double-
clicked on the icon, the computer froze up and I had to reboot.

And what's the difference between Tool, Project, Disk, etc. Icons?

AdTHANXvance yall,

Malcolm "The Capital MD" Moore
----------Amiga: The One and Only.  All the Rest Can Get the Bozack.-----------
"I ain't never got gaffled like that, I used to do the gaffilin'--
McDonald's was my spot."
"Man, what you used to do??"
"Jack them motherfuckers for them Nissan Trucks.  Right in the drive thru."

s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) (05/28/91)

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) writes:

>Okay, this mite be a dumb question but...

>Is it possible to generate a .info file for an executable that didn't
>have one in the first place, using IconEd? I tried it once and when I double-
>clicked on the icon, the computer froze up and I had to reboot.

  Well, I'll assume that the executable *can* be run from the workbench :-)
Anyway, using commodore's icon editor on the 1.3 extras disk, you load in
the icon from another executable, edit it, and save it out to the disk as
 <executable_name>.info
This should work. If you want to make a project icon, you have to load in a
project icon from another file, and use that; etc.)

>And what's the difference between Tool, Project, Disk, etc. Icons?

Disk.info   ==  The icon of the disk as it appears on the WB
tool        ==  Executable
project     ==  data file for an executable.
garbage     ==  trash icon

>AdTHANXvance yall,

>Malcolm "The Capital MD" Moore
>----------Amiga: The One and Only.  All the Rest Can Get the Bozack.-----------
>"I ain't never got gaffled like that, I used to do the gaffilin'--
>McDonald's was my spot."
>"Man, what you used to do??"
>"Jack them motherfuckers for them Nissan Trucks.  Right in the drive thru."
|                                     |                                    |
| Luke Mewburn   (Zak)                |      This side for lease...        |
| s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au        | (No disclaimer, can't afford it:-) |

jlong@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (John Long) (06/13/91)

In article <4004@ux.acs.umn.edu> mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) writes:
>Okay, this mite be a dumb question but...

There are 2 kinds of dumb questions:

	#1. A question you don't ask, because you're afraid of sounding dumb.
	#2. A question you ask, knowing that the listner doesn't know, so
	    you can give the answer, to show how smart you are.

Sorry, your question is not a dumb question ;-)

>Is it possible to generate a .info file for an executable that didn't
>have one in the first place, using IconEd?

Oui, but there better ways.

------  SIMPLE AND QUICK WAY:

From the cli point of view, an icon is a file with the extension 'info'
such as foo.info  dpaint.info  whatever.info and has the name of the object
it represents.

You gotta use cli, or shell to do this: find an icon of the type you need.
i.e. tool, project, etc. (see below on the meaning of tool, project...)

make a copy of said info file, naming it for your (tool, project) like this:

CLI_Prompt> copy existing.info to newthing.info

Presto, you now have an icon for newthing. It will not show up until you
close and reopen the disk or drawer in which it is created, and it will
be located where the existing icon is.

------- BETTER WAY:

Use a PD program called MakeIcon. It will allow you to make an icon from a
Deluxe Paint brush. It is on fishdisk #255.

>And what's the difference between Tool, Project, Disk, etc. Icons?

A tool is a program. A project is a well, project. A data file. A text
file, animation, iff picture, etc. What tools make. Every project must
be associated with some tool, usually the tool that created it.

A drawer is a directory. Place to keep tools and projects.
A disk is a disk is a disk. Place to keep drawers.

These 4 objects are different kinds of things, and so the info files associated
with them have to have different kinds of information in them.

Truely, I don't think too highly of the way icons are implemented on the
Amiga, and don't like to use them. I throw them away and eschew the
workbench. Icons on the amiga aren't as smart as mac's icons, they get
in the way, projects lose touch with their tools, they waste space on the
screen. I like the *idea* behind icons, but I find that they are a lot
more useful on the mac, where you *have* to deal with them.

I think that an alternative GUI to the workbench is a viable idea. I notice
that old-timers seldom use workbench.

Do yourself a favor and learn cli. Do yourself 2 favors and get one of the
unix like shell programs and learn unix at the same time. If you know how
to get around unix, you can use csh.xxx and you won't have to learn a thing!

Aloha,
-LongJohn

f88ho@efd.lth.se (Hans Olsson) (06/13/91)

In article <13444@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> jlong@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (John Long) writes:
>In article <4004@ux.acs.umn.edu> mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) writes:
>>Okay, this mite be a dumb question but...
[Definition of dumb question deleted]
>>Is it possible to generate a .info file for an executable that didn't
>>have one in the first place, using IconEd?

[How to copy .info files deleted]

Please note that some programs can't be started from the workbench,
and that you might get a guru if you try.
If that's the case try iconx from WB 1.3 and create a small script
that starts the program. I think it's all in the little book you get
with WB 1.3.

[Difference between project/drawer/tool deleted]
>Do yourself a favor and learn cli. Do yourself 2 favors and get one of the
>unix like shell programs and learn unix at the same time. If you know how
>to get around unix, you can use csh.xxx and you won't have to learn a thing!

I personally use sksh. No offence intended.
---
--
Hans Olsson   Email: f88ho@efd.lth.se