[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] NEED INFO: Why buy an Amiga?

janti@athena.arc.nasa.gov (Joel Antipuesto - GDP) (06/15/91)

I need some info on the Amiga.  I'm in need of a personal computer, and the
Amiga was brought to my attention by a friend.  Here's what kinds of things the
computer must do:

	* At the very least, have good word processing applications
          availalble to it and have capabilities to remotely log on
          to UNIX mainframes (just for terminal emulation).  Possibly
          be able to do C programming in a UNIX environment, but not
          essential at the moment.

       	* Music applications, MIDI.  Sound synthesis and options to
          tweak sounds at will is a must.

      	* Graphic capabilities (can't really specify much more at the
          moment).

So basically, I need a computer to do school-related work, but then I want
the option to expand on the system for music and possibly graphics.

Okay so here's some questions:

 	* Why an Amiga?  Why not a Mac or other computer?  I've
 	  heard that the Amiga can emulate a Mac or IBM PC.  How
 	  effective is this emulation?

	* Another reason I've been prompted to consider the Amiga
 	  is because of the current upgrade special Commodore is
	  having on the 3000?  If I were to get an Amiga, what would
	  be the pros and cons of 3000 vs the 2000?  For the kinds of
	  applications I want, is the 2000 enough or is there a
	  forseeable reason that a 3000 would be a better choice?

	* Music people: what kind of price range are we talking about
 	  for going MIDI?  I don't currently own a synth, so add whatever
	  price is needed for an adequate keyboard - just something
	  to interface for real-time data input, but live performance
	  isn't a priority.  Also, what kind of software is out there?

The plan is if I can afford and justify the cost and need for the 3000, go
for the upgrade plan (I have an old 64), but I'm not at all sure if I do
need something like the 3000.  Any info I would really appreciate.  Please
e-mail all responses to:

	janti@athena.arc.nasa.gov
	    or
	ajoel@cory.Berkeley.EDU

Thanks.

-Joel

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) (06/17/91)

janti@athena.arc.nasa.gov (Joel Antipuesto - GDP) writes:

> I need some info on the Amiga.  I'm in need of a personal computer, and the
> Amiga was brought to my attention by a friend.  Here's what kinds of things t
> computer must do:
        Only too happy to try and help. And, I'm glad you didn't ask this
in an IBM or MAC conference! ;-)

> 	* At the very least, have good word processing applications
>           availalble to it and have capabilities to remotely log on
>           to UNIX mainframes (just for terminal emulation).  Possibly
>           be able to do C programming in a UNIX environment, but not
>           essential at the moment.
        Yeah, it can log onto mainframes. Most computers can; it's mostly
just a matter of software. Modems are prety much standard. And, you'll
find that the Amiga's terminal programs are just wonderful; I prefer my
NCOMM over my IBM's Telix any day!

>        	* Music applications, MIDI.  Sound synthesis and options to
        You're in luck here. The built in sounds are GOOD, no matter what
anyone tells you. The numbers say that it's maybe on the low end of o.k.,
but the actual SOUND coming out says t me that it's on the upper end of
excellet for me. On the MIDI interface: You're in luck here, too. Most
computers require a seperate UART for a MIDI interface, but the Amiga has
a programmable UART on board. This means that you can build your own
interface for under $10, or buy a pre-built one for under $50. And, it has
some pretty good MIDI software out there. Also, most Amiga music programs
support at least very limited MIDI support. Can't say that about the IBM.
>           tweak sounds at will is a must.
>
>       	* Graphic capabilities (can't really specify much more at the
>           moment).

        The Amiga has good built-in graphics, and has some pretty
incredible add-on cards, and they're kinda cheap, too. Probably more than
you need for now, but the M.A.S.T. Colorburst, as soon as it passes the
FCC tests, will probably be one of the top. It's around $400, and is 24
bit RGB color. 16.8 million colors, real time 24 bit animation, just some
pretty cool stuff. Just drop a line in the comp.sys.amiga.graphics
newsgroup for more info.

> So basically, I need a computer to do school-related work, but then I want
> the option to expand on the system for music and possibly graphics.
>
> Okay so here's some questions:
>
>  	* Why an Amiga?  Why not a Mac or other computer?  I've
>  	  heard that the Amiga can emulate a Mac or IBM PC.  How
>  	  effective is this emulation?

        Well, that's a very complex question. You would really need to be
VERY specific for me to be very specific. I origonally bought an IBM as my
first computer; it was a HUGE letdown. I returned it, and got a used 1000
for the same price <around 3 years ago; it was $700. Now, they can be had
for around  $400 or less, but I would NOT suggest geting one. Dead end.>.
I have a 2000 now. I love the Amiga because it gives me great graphics,
great sound, the best multitasking I've seen on any PERSONAL computer,
reasonable speed, even with my lowly 68000, and is just generally a great
computer. Now, if you're going to be off doing 16 bit sound, recording to
hard disk, tweaking the sounds, then setting it on a CD or DAT, you can
get card for that on an Amiga. But, it's a new section of the Amiga
market that;s bound to grow. PRoblem is, you're pretty much limited to
what software came with your card. I reccomend a <GASP!> MAC for this
work, although you'll likely spend more on it than the Amiga.

> 	* Another reason I've been prompted to consider the Amiga
>  	  is because of the current upgrade special Commodore is
> 	  having on the 3000?  If I were to get an Amiga, what would
> 	  be the pros and cons of 3000 vs the 2000?  For the kinds of
> 	  applications I want, is the 2000 enough or is there a
> 	  forseeable reason that a 3000 would be a better choice?

        If you can afford it; get the 3000. I reccomend it! I couldn't
afford it, so I didn't get it. Of course, many will tell you it's not
compatible enough, but I think that it's mostly GAMES that don't run, and
YOU won't be doing much of those, now will you? ;-) seriously, MOST
programs DO run, there is a high degree of compatibility. And, if you wish
to run something  that on't run in 2.03, you can switch to 1.3. If it
still won't run, then the program most likely won't run even on an
accelerated 2000, some games won't run with anything other than a 68000.
Actually, I think that with the Power Up! deal, the 3000 can be had for
very little more than a decent 2000; the 2000 comes with 1 meg of ram and
nothing else for around $1300 or so, and with the Power Up! deal, you can
get a 3000 for much less than $2000 with a 25 or 16 mHz 68030, 2 megs of
ram, and a 50 meg HDD. Good, solid system there. I would get it!

> 	* Music people: what kind of price range are we talking about
>  	  for going MIDI?  I don't currently own a synth, so add whatever
> 	  price is needed for an adequate keyboard - just something
> 	  to interface for real-time data input, but live performance
> 	  isn't a priority.  Also, what kind of software is out there?

        MIDI: Around $50 for the interface, and then the synth is anywhere
from $200 to $20000. It all depends on your needs; I'm going to be getting
a nice little Yamaha PSS-something for about $239 soon, and it's suitable
for me. It's also likely the ONLY MIDI instrument I'll have unless I
borrow my friends drum set/triggers/brain/sound bank, but that's not
likely <G>. Lots of software for MIDI on the Amiga, but some would say not
enough. On the low end, there's plenty, but if you're planning on being a
MIDI pro, then I have no idea....

> The plan is if I can afford and justify the cost and need for the 3000, go
> for the upgrade plan (I have an old 64), but I'm not at all sure if I do
> need something like the 3000.  Any info I would really appreciate.  Please
> e-mail all responses to:

        I think you should go the 3000 route. If I had known of the Power
Up! deal when I sold my 1000, I would have likely gone that route. I ended
up spending $1650 for a used 2000 with 3 megs of ram, a 40 meg HD, and a
mitsubishi diamond scan monitor, but I could have gotten a 3000 for just a
few hundred more, oh, that's excluding monitor, but it IS new, you know <I
hope!>.. Bye, and sorry for the H-U-G-E message, this is unlike me.. NOT!

                                        David

Now the world has gone to bed,  MoonHawk@Bluemoon.uucp          ////|all
Darkness won't engulf my head,  moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com //// |hail
I can see by infrared,                                     \\\\///__|the
How I hate the night.      Yeah, this IS an annoying SIG.   \\\\/   |miga