[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Can a 1084S be a TV?

PYC118%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Rasiel) (06/19/91)

Having recently purchased a new 500 along with a 1084S one of the first
things I did was hook up the monitor to my VCR. I was very impressed with
the picture clarity. Watching movies on it is more pleasant than on a relative-
ly new Hitachi 19 in. TV! However, when I tried to use my VCR as a tuner to
watch regular TV it pulled in the signal far too weak. Is there anything I
can do to get regular channels with this setup? I live in a dorm that has no
antenna that I know of and reception even with an antenna is still pretty
dismal. Failing that, where, what kind and how much for tuners? Finally,
since this monitor is 'stereo' does that mean that I'll get TV channels in
stereo as well?
Rasiel, Univ of RI, pyc118@uriacc

In article <56634@nigel.ee.udel.edu> PYC118%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Rasiel) writes:

>Having recently purchased a new 500 along with a 1084S one of the first
>things I did was hook up the monitor to my VCR. I was very impressed with
>the picture clarity. Watching movies on it is more pleasant than on a relative-
>ly new Hitachi 19 in. TV!

A former colleague had this as his whole private setup: An Amiga with
1084 and a VCR, using it's tuner for TV receiving.

> However, when I tried to use my VCR as a tuner to
>watch regular TV it pulled in the signal far too weak. Is there anything I
>can do to get regular channels with this setup? I live in a dorm that has no
>antenna that I know of and reception even with an antenna is still pretty
>dismal.

You need a good antenna, that's all. Also a good tuner would normally
no help if it doesn't get usable RF input. The tuners in the VCRs are
normally just as good as any tuner in any TV set.

> Finally,
>since this monitor is 'stereo' does that mean that I'll get TV channels in
>stereo as well?

If you have a stereo tuner, it must have separate audio outputs for
each channel. Then there isn't any problem.

In article <56634@nigel.ee.udel.edu> PYC118%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Rasiel) writes:
> Having recently purchased a new 500 along with a 1084S one of the first
> things I did was hook up the monitor to my VCR. I was very impressed ...

Yes, it's great, isn't it!

> TV! However, when I tried to use my VCR as a tuner to
> watch regular TV it pulled in the signal far too weak.

That's a problem with your VCR. I would suggest you check with misc.consumers
for the solution to this problem. Just ask about better TV antennas. As for
buying a tuner, I'd suggest you just get another VCR... the price will not
be too far off for a play-only version, and you can use the two boxes to edit
tapes.

> since this monitor is 'stereo' does that mean that I'll get TV channels in
> stereo as well?

Only if you have stereo output on your VCR.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

nygardm@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Michael T. Nygard) (06/21/91)

On a similar note, does anyone know if the 1950 can be used similarly?  It's
got different connections, and I have no idea how to hook up a VCR to it.

--
|                                       |    Mike Nygard                |