[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] PowerPacker doesn't crunch commands

GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu (Gelson Dias Santos) (06/24/91)

 IN%"amiga-introduction-relay@udel.edu",IN%"amiga-applications-relay@udel.edu"

   I have been playing a bit with the Shareware program PowerPacker 2.3b, by
Nico Francois, and I have some doubts about it's resourses. I'm trying to
crunch the commands in c: directory, but some of them seems to don't work after
crunching.
   I tryied to crunch Ed and Data but both give me an "Unable to load <command>:
insufficient free store" when I try to use them. Then I crunched List, and it
worked fine! I crunched some executable programs (Zoom!, MoviePlayer) and they
worked too.
   I don't think the problem is the file size, because List is larger than Date.
   I have an A500 1.3.2 rev 5 1Mb RAM (512K chip) New Agnus and one external
drive.
   While I'm here; is possible to crunch a DATA file and it auto-decrunch when
used? Maybe with another cruncher?

* Gelson Dias Santos  *  Bitnet/Internet: GELSON@SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR  *
* Porto Alegre - RS   *  Sorry, english is not my native language!  *
*       BRAZIL        *           (Alguem fala portugues?)          *
*  Should be working on my taxes but this is more fun... Fred Fish  *

gwing@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Geoff C Wing) (06/24/91)

GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu (Gelson Dias Santos) writes:

> IN%"amiga-introduction-relay@udel.edu",IN%"amiga-applications-relay@udel.edu"

>   I have been playing a bit with the Shareware program PowerPacker 2.3b, by
>Nico Francois, and I have some doubts about it's resourses. I'm trying to
>crunch the commands in c: directory, but some of them seems to don't work after
>crunching.
>   I tryied to crunch Ed and Data but both give me an "Unable to load <command>:
>insufficient free store" when I try to use them. Then I crunched List, and it
>worked fine! I crunched some executable programs (Zoom!, MoviePlayer) and they
>worked too.
>   I don't think the problem is the file size, because List is larger than Date.
>   I have an A500 1.3.2 rev 5 1Mb RAM (512K chip) New Agnus and one external
>drive.
The commands in the c: directory are BCPL which means that they're very strange
by any standard and Powerpacker v2.3 cannot handle them properly (If you pay
shareware fees, you can get v3.0b which handles BCPL programs). But then,
considering the size of some of these. eg 6k, there is hardly any reason to
crunch them(other than having fun). There are different versions of the c:
commands available, eg. the ARP commands(yes, I use ARP. no, we don't want
another war on the pros and cons of ARP). And other command compression
programs. One popular one in TurboImploder v3.0

>   While I'm here; is possible to crunch a DATA file and it auto-decrunch when
>used? Maybe with another cruncher?
How do you want to use it? Sure it's possible. Powerpacker even does that for
text and ILBM files. Decrunching uses powerpacker.library and PPmore and PPshow.
  |static@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au|

taak9@isuvax.iastate.edu (Steve Sheldon) (06/25/91)

In article <57050@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu (Gelson Dias Santos) writes:

> IN%"amiga-introduction-relay@udel.edu",IN%"amiga-applications-relay@udel.edu"
>
>   I have been playing a bit with the Shareware program PowerPacker 2.3b, by
>Nico Francois, and I have some doubts about it's resourses. I'm trying to
>crunch the commands in c: directory, but some of them seems to don't work after
>crunching.
>   I tryied to crunch Ed and Data but both give me an "Unable to load <command>:
>insufficient free store" when I try to use them. Then I crunched List, and it
>worked fine! I crunched some executable programs (Zoom!, MoviePlayer) and they
>worked too.
>   I don't think the problem is the file size, because List is larger than Date.
>   I have an A500 1.3.2 rev 5 1Mb RAM (512K chip) New Agnus and one external
>drive.

  I've experienced similar things.  I'm assuming it has something to do
with how the program you're trying to crunch is written.  I wouldn't
recommend crunching stuff in the C: directory.  Most of the commands
are small anyway, and crunching command files will make them unpure.
(i.e. you can't make them Resident)

 I have in the past tried using Powerpacker on utilities that I only
used occasionally.  It worked fine on Handshake, and such.

 I gave up trying to use Powerpacker when I got my harddrive.  The space
savings wasn't a big deal, and it wasn't making it slower to load programs.
In certain cases, when using a floppy it seemed to be actually faster
to load a crunched program, than to load the original program.

>   While I'm here; is possible to crunch a DATA file and it auto-decrunch when
>used? Maybe with another cruncher?

 Doubtful.  The program you are loading the data file into will need to
know how to decrunch the file.  Some programs like PPMore do this.
Depending on what you're doing, anther option might be to use Pipes.
I've never done this with AmigaDOS, but you would be taking the output
from the Decrunch program, and using it as input for your utility
program.

 This is only some ideas, I've not tried this myself.  Well, except
for using PPmore.

>* Gelson Dias Santos  *  Bitnet/Internet: GELSON@SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR  *
>* Porto Alegre - RS   *  Sorry, english is not my native language!  *
>*       BRAZIL        *           (Alguem fala portugues?)          *
>*  Should be working on my taxes but this is more fun... Fred Fish  *

Steve Sheldon               ///
taak9@ccvax.iastate.edu    ///
Iowa State University    \XX/

andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (06/25/91)

Actually, many of the commands in the C: directory have been written
in BCPL (not C) and have more than their share of quirks.  *I* don't
crunch anything on the Workbench disks.  However, I do use Imploder
for just about everything else.  I have found significant imporvements
in hard drive capacity.  I had roughly 75M of stuff on my 50M.

-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "If I spent as much time on my classes as I do reading
\X/  Andrews |  news, I'd graduate."  - Brett McCoy