[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Reading a README file online in FTP

martin@TIGGER.STCLOUD.MSUS.EDU (Jim Martin CBM Amiga Rep at St. Cloud State, MN) (06/21/91)

The ability to read a README file online is COMPLETELY dependant on which
companies version of TCP/IP your system is running, for example:

Here in St. Cloud on our VAX8550 (VMS) we are able to simply type:

	TYPE README
this allows us to dump the file to the screen, yet when I go over to

our VAX 11/785 (VMS) this command does not work because on one system
Multinet TCP is installed and on the other a differnt companies is...

so there is no "sure" way to dump a file to screen that I know of...

                                                       ////
******************************************************////********************
** Jim Martin          The Amiga CAN do it!!         //// Can that CPM      **
** CBM Student Rep      A3000T (wow) I'll take 2.   //// emulator run on my **
** St. Cloud State, MN                       \\\\  //// Apple ][ emulator on**
**                        PsIgOn MaTrIx       \\\\//// my Mac emulator on my**
** martin@tigger.stcloud.msus.edu              \\\/// Amiga?????????        **

warb@faatcrl (Dan Warburton) (06/22/91)

martin@TIGGER.STCLOUD.MSUS.EDU (Jim Martin CBM Amiga Rep at St. Cloud State, MN) writes:

>The ability to read a README file online is COMPLETELY dependant on which
>companies version of TCP/IP your system is running, for example:

Try get README |more

This usually works for me. I thine you cannot have a space between | and more.
Good luck.
--
+  Dan Warburton   Nas Simulation Support Facility (NSSF)
+                  Federal Aviation Administration Technical Center

emmonsl@athena.ecs.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (06/24/91)

In article <1484@faatcrl.UUCP> warb@faatcrl (Dan Warburton) writes:
>martin@TIGGER.STCLOUD.MSUS.EDU (Jim Martin CBM Amiga Rep at St. Cloud State, MN) writes:
>
>>The ability to read a README file online is COMPLETELY dependant on which
>>companies version of TCP/IP your system is running, for example:
>
>Try get README |more

This may not work on a VMS system...I know nothing of VMS, but I'd think that
pipes and more don't exist in VMS...If they don't, try this:

get README -

the - tells ftp to save the file to stdout. If this still doesn't do what you
need it's time to start reading the manuals...

	Good luck,
	-Scott
			L. Scott Emmons
			---------------
	emmons@csus.csus.edu  <or>  ...[ucbvax]!ucdavis!csus!emmons
		Packet: kc6nfp@kg6xx.#nocal.ca.usa.na

fletcher@netcom.COM (F. Sullivan Segal) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun21.164909.7230@s1.msi.umn.edu> martin@TIGGER.STCLOUD.MSUS.EDU writes:
>The ability to read a README file online is COMPLETELY dependant on which
>companies version of TCP/IP your system is running, for example:
>
>Here in St. Cloud on our VAX8550 (VMS) we are able to simply type:
>
>	TYPE README
>this allows us to dump the file to the screen, yet when I go over to
>
>our VAX 11/785 (VMS) this command does not work because on one system
>Multinet TCP is installed and on the other a differnt companies is...
>
>so there is no "sure" way to dump a file to screen that I know of...

The easiest way I've found to read the README files is by shelling out
of FTP (UNIX).

Type:

get README
!more README
^D

Of course you don'
t really want to waste a lot of time doing this.  I'd recommend
downloading the README files and reading them offline.  Then go
back and get the main file if you are interested.

--
                           -F. Sullivan Segall
 _

walterb@cray.com (Walter Boese) (06/25/91)

Another way to read text files while in FTP is
'get filename /dev/tty'.  Works for me.
Walter Boese
walterb@sequoia.cray.com

greg@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (06/25/91)

In <205044.2477@timbuk.cray.com> walterb@cray.com (Walter Boese) writes:

>Another way to read text files while in FTP is
>'get filename /dev/tty'.  Works for me.
>Walter Boese
>walterb@sequoia.cray.com

If you have a NeXT, there is an online reading facility in
NeXTFTP.  Available via cica.cica.indiana.edu (129.79.20.22) in
pub/Next/Binaries

greg
--
Gregory Reed Travis					C I C A