[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Amiga FTPing

ii9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (06/20/91)

Hello, I'm new to FTPing and have a few questions:

1) I can't seem to download some files.  I get an error message something like
"not a plain file".  How do I get these?
2) In ab20, there's a file called "FILES.Z" which according to the readme is
supposed to be an index to what files are at that site.  But it seems to be
compressed in some way I'm not familiar with.  I've tried arc, zoo, lharc, warp
, etc. but nothing works.
3) Is there any way to look at the contents of a readme file without exiting
ftp?
4) I downloaded Oberon from ab20, but it's crippleware.  Anyone know if the
full version is done yet, and how much it costs?

Please reply via E-mail, and I'll summarize.
 Brian Slesinsky
 II9Y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu (FURRY R) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun19.230107.5607@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, ii9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes...
>Hello, I'm new to FTPing and have a few questions:
>
>1) I can't seem to download some files.  I get an error message something like
>"not a plain file".  How do I get these?

Not a Plain File means that you were trying to download a directory.
If you do DIR instrad of LS, the "file" will have the d (directory)
bit set.  Do CD directory.

>2) In ab20, there's a file called "FILES.Z" which according to the readme is
>supposed to be an index to what files are at that site.  But it seems to be
>compressed in some way I'm not familiar with.  I've tried arc, zoo, lharc, warp
>, etc. but nothing works.

These files with the .Z were compressed using the UNIX "Compress".  There is
a copy on ab20 under utils/archivers called something like Compress4.0.lzh.
Download this program, and do Compress -d FILES to decompress the FILES.Z.

>3) Is there any way to look at the contents of a readme file without exiting
>ftp?

Don't think so.  If there is LET ME KNOW!!!
>4) I downloaded Oberon from ab20, but it's crippleware.  Anyone know if the
>full version is done yet, and how much it costs?
>
>Please reply via E-mail, and I'll summarize.

Sorry, my mailers being funny.  Besides, I had these questions too when I
got started with FTP.  Maybe it can help somebody else.

> Brian Slesinsky
> II9Y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
/ |CIVIR1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu| Q: Is there a UNIX FORTRAN optomizer? \
\ |    Scott Ellis          | A: Yeah, "rm *.f"    _                /
/ |_________________________|                   _ // Amiga          \
\_______________________________________________\X/_________________/

jsibley@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James Sibley) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun21.034454.1142@ucselx.sdsu.edu> civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu writes:
>In article <1991Jun19.230107.5607@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, ii9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes...
>>Hello, I'm new to FTPing and have a few questions:
>>
>>3) Is there any way to look at the contents of a readme file without exiting
>>ftp?
>
>Don't think so.  If there is LET ME KNOW!!!

    This is a funny situation, well at least for me anyway.  When I FTP
ab20 and want to read the "readme" files the command "quote xcat <filename>"
works great (also "quote stat <archive name>" will let you look at the files
contained inside the archive).  Anyway, AB20 is the only site that this seems
to work on.  I don't know why, but that's the way it is.  It's a great feature
and I wish it worked on all sites but that's life..  Anyone know what the
story is??  Be Seeing You...

--
      James Sibley                                Nous Sommes Du Soleil
      Seeking the truth about lemon curry.          We Are Of The Sun

mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Gordon) (06/21/91)

civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu (FURRY R) writes:

>In article <1991Jun19.230107.5607@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, ii9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes...
>>Hello, I'm new to FTPing and have a few questions:
>>3) Is there any way to look at the contents of a readme file without exiting
>>ftp?

>Don't think so.  If there is LET ME KNOW!!!

You don't say what sort of system you're running on.  If it's UNIX then
"get README /dev/tty" will work.  Alternatively, if you have multiple
windows up, you can send the output to one of them,
e.g. "get README /dev/ttyp1", or whatever pty your other window is using.

--
							 _   _   _    _   _
Michael Gordon - mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk OR ee.ed.ac.uk	| |_| |_| |__| |_| |

mjr@uther.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) (06/21/91)

jsibley@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James Sibley) writes:

>In article <1991Jun21.034454.1142@ucselx.sdsu.edu> civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu writes:
>>In article <1991Jun19.230107.5607@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, ii9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes...
>>>Hello, I'm new to FTPing and have a few questions:
>>>
>>>3) Is there any way to look at the contents of a readme file without exiting
>>>ftp?
>>
>>Don't think so.  If there is LET ME KNOW!!!

Sure there is.  A couple, actually.  You can always precede any
command fromthe ftp>  prompt with a !  and it will start up a new
shell and execute that command inside it.   Like...

ftp>!more readme

But you have to get the file down first.  The way I usually do it is:

ftp>get <filename> |more

Or use less if your system has it, that way you can back up if you
need to.  This also works for directories:

ftp>dir * |less

Hope this helped.
--
Matt Ranney
mjr@uther.calvin.edu

quang@CSUFRES.CSUFRESNO.EDU (Quang Ngo) (06/21/91)

| >>Don't think so.  If there is LET ME KNOW!!!
|
| Sure there is.  A couple, actually.  You can always precede any
| command fromthe ftp>  prompt with a !  and it will start up a new
| shell and execute that command inside it.   Like...
|
| ftp>!more readme
|
| But you have to get the file down first.  The way I usually do it is:
|
| ftp>get <filename> |more
|
| Or use less if your system has it, that way you can back up if you
| need to.  This also works for directories:
|
| ftp>dir * |less
|
| Hope this helped.
| --
| Matt Ranney
| mjr@uther.calvin.edu

Try:
ftp>get <filename> -

-Quang Ngo (csufres.CSUFresno.EDU)

parker@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Jeff Parker) (06/22/91)

The orignal question was -

And a few replies from Matt Ranney.
>ftp>!more readme
>ftp>get <filename> |more
>ftp>dir * |less

It is possible to tell ftp to save the file with a different name.

For example,

ftp>get readme readme.local

would save the readme as readme.local in ftp's current directory.  By
telling ftp to save the file as - (a dash) you are actually telling it
to print it to stdout.

For example,

ftp>get readme -

would transfer the file and print it to your screen.  Remember, if you
end up wanting a copy of it, you will have to transfer it again.

Jeff P.

--
Jeffrey D. Parker                  | Men always want to be a woman's first love,
INET: parker@vela.acs.oakland.edu  |      women like to be a man's last romance.

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (06/22/91)

I need to find a program called 'sz' so I can download with ZModem
from the Unix system .  As I understand it I have to find it and put it
on my account on the Unix and compile it to get it to run... (I hope not)
but, if anyone in net land would be so kind as to e-mail me the program
I would be most grateful (I might even not name one of my children after
you... ) ;)

Thnaks in Advance...

Raoul "My 500 Has a Detachable Keyboard" Rodriguez
n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu
Standard Disclaimers Apply (Within)

cazabon@hercules (Charles Cazabon (186-003-526)) (06/22/91)

:
:1) I can't seem to download some files.  I get an error message something like
:"not a plain file".  How do I get these?

You have to tell it that you want to transfer a non-ascii file.  You do this
by issuing the command "type binary" or on some systems, "type I".

:2) In ab20, there's a file called "FILES.Z" which according to the readme is
:supposed to be an index to what files are at that site.  But it seems to be
:compressed in some way I'm not familiar with.  I've tried arc, zoo, lharc, warp
:, etc. but nothing works.

It's called Unix Compress.  While you have it in your Unix/VMS/whatever
account, type uncompress FILES.Z, it should extract it.
Or, you could read it without decompressing it.  Do this by typing
"zcat FILES.Z | more".  Cat prints a file to the screen; zcat does this with
a compressed file, but decompresses it 'on the fly'.  The " | more" means to
'pipe' the output to the program 'more', which gives you the "<more>" every
24 lines and lets you read it before it scrolls away.

:3) Is there any way to look at the contents of a readme file without exiting
:ftp?

Yes; again, you can pipe it.  Do a "get file.readme |more" (no space between the
pipe symbol (shift-backslash on some keyboards) and the 'more'.  This works on
about half the systems.  Otherwise you will end up with it in your account.
If this happens, type "!" and <RETURN>.  You will get your shell prompt, where
you can now "more file.readme".  When you are finished reading it, type
ctrl-D to exit the subshell and get back to the ftp.

:4) I downloaded Oberon from ab20, but it's crippleware.  Anyone know if the
:full version is done yet, and how much it costs?
:
:Please reply via E-mail, and I'll summarize.
: Brian Slesinsky
: II9Y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

Couldn't email you; sorry.

--Chuck Cazabon, cazabon@hercules.uregina.ca
* My Opinions Are Not My Own...Feel Free To Plagiarize

wemmpd@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) (06/24/91)

civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu (FURRY R) writes:

>>3) Is there any way to look at the contents of a readme file without exiting
>>ftp?

>Don't think so.  If there is LET ME KNOW!!!

>> Brian Slesinsky
>> II9Y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

How about "get filename /dev/tty" on a unix machine...
--
Peter Wemm
peter@cs.curtin.edu.au  (Home) +61-9-450-5243

st13y@menudo.uh.edu (Chris B. Viles) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun24.041800.7222@ucselx.sdsu.edu> civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu writes:

>>>Don't think so.  If there is LET ME KNOW!!!

>>How about "get filename /dev/tty" on a unix machine...
>>--
>
>   All that good info is great.  Thanks guys.  Only problem is, I use a
>VAX (waiting for collective "ah, poor Scott" from everybody) about 90%
>of the time.  And that includes most of my FTPing. Hmm. Oh well.

  What you can do, however, is get the file you want, and SPAWN out to
another process, and read the file there.  After you read the file, log out
of that process, and you will be returned to ftp.  It's a long way to do it,
but it works.

Chris Viles
st13y@menudo.uh.edu

"How do you stop this crazy thing?!?!"

fineberg@wuarchive.wustl.edu (Charlie Fineberg) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.041800.7222@ucselx.sdsu.edu> civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu writes:

>>How about "get filename /dev/tty" on a unix machine...
>>--
Sigh, same thing works in vms.  At least using UCX so I assume it works
using the more mature products.  In ascii mode just issue the command:

FTP> get "readme.first" sys$output

Now you will need to use the hold key depending upon the speed of your
connection.
	Charlie