[comp.sys.amiga.introduction] Amiga FTP Summary

ii9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (06/24/91)

Well, it looks like people already posted answers to my questions,
but for what it's worth:

   Here is the summary I promised.  Thanks, everyone who contributed to
the pile of mail I received.  I'll give sources for answers I got from
only one person.

I asked:
1) I can't seem to download some files.  I get an error message
something like "not a plain file".  How do I get these?

   Most people suggested that I was trying to ftp a binary file in text
mode.  Various commands such as "type I", "type image", "bin", and
"binary" were suggested, depending, I suppose, on the version of FTP
you're using.
   The other possibility mentioned was that I was trying to ftp a
directory instead of a file.

I asked:
2) In ab20, there's a file called "FILES.Z" which according to the
readme is supposed to be an index to what files are at that site.  But
it seems to be compressed in some way I'm not familiar with.  I've tried
arc, zoo, lharc, warp, etc. but nothing works.

   Files with the .z extension are Unix compress files.  The command is
"compress -d <filename>.z", "decompress <filename>.z", "uncompress
<filename>.z", or "uncompress <filename>" under Unix.  (Some people say
that you should leave in the ".z", others say no.  On my local machine,
you have to rename "<filename>.z" to "<filename>_z".  I suppose it
depends on which system you're using.)
   Many people also said that there is a compress program available for
the Amiga on one of the Fred Fish disks.

I asked:
3) Is there any way to look at the contents of a readme file without
exiting FTP?

   The usual procedure seems to be that you get the file to the local
system, then use shell commands to look at it, such as "! more
<filename>".  The "!" lets you execute a shell command from inside ftp,
   Alternatives: Others said to use <ctrl-Z> to suspend the task, then
read it, then "fg" to continue.  (This is about what I had been doing,
but it's not as convenient under VMS.)  mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu suggests
"get <filename> -".  A command that works on ab20 is "quote xcat
<filename>".

I asked:
4) I downloaded Oberon from ab20, but it's crippleware.  Anyone know if
the full version is done yet, and how much it costs?

According to <htgoebel@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, AmigaOberon
2.0 has been available for a month, in Europe at least, for "SFr. 290
(DM300 + MWSt)" (I'm not sure I can decipher that.)  You can also get it
directly from the author at the address given on the demo disk.  There
is also a source-level, runtime debugger available for "DM 200 (+MWSt)".

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

P.S. Is it proper to directly quote people's E-mail messages if I said
that I would be summarizing them?  I wasn't sure, so I tried not to in
this message.

Brian Slesinsky
ii9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

ptavoly@cs.ruu.nl (Peter Tavoly) (06/25/91)

In <1991Jun24.160111.5688@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> ii9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>I asked:
>4) I downloaded Oberon from ab20, but it's crippleware.  Anyone know if
>the full version is done yet, and how much it costs?
>
>According to <htgoebel@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, AmigaOberon
>2.0 has been available for a month, in Europe at least, for "SFr. 290
>(DM300 + MWSt)" (I'm not sure I can decipher that.)  You can also get it

DM means Deutsch Mark or German Mark (I guess you knew that :), SFr. means
Swiss Frank. One US Dollar is approximately 1.8 DM right now.

MWSt means MehrWertSteuer or Value Added Tax or sales tax in German. I don't
know how much that is in Germany (it's 18.5 % in Holland, I have seen lower
percentages quoted for the US, anywhere from 4 to 8%), but if you are a company,
you can get that back from taxes. (If you export to other countries, you
must pay the local VAT instead, which in turn you might get back (tax refund))

>Brian Slesinsky
>ii9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

 -Thomas.

This account expires on 01-Sep-91. No more VR, it's RL now! :)
---------------------------------------------------------------          ____
Thomas Tavoly, Commercial Computer Science, HEAO Utrecht, NL.           / / /
ptavoly@praxis.cs.ruu.nl - Thomas speaking!  .sig v3.3               AMIGA /
--------------------------------------------------------------- ____  / / /
 ICE - brain-blasting zombie-making voodoo electronics.         \ \ \/ / /
---------------------------------------------------------------  \_\_\/_/

lance@mpd.tandem.com (Lance Hartmann) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.160111.5688@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> ii9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>[STUFF DELETED]
>I asked:
>2) In ab20, there's a file called "FILES.Z" which according to the
>readme is supposed to be an index to what files are at that site.  But
>it seems to be compressed in some way I'm not familiar with.  I've tried
>arc, zoo, lharc, warp, etc. but nothing works.
>
>   Files with the .z extension are Unix compress files.  The command is
>"compress -d <filename>.z", "decompress <filename>.z", "uncompress
>[REMAINDER DELETED]

Could someone confirm this please?  In my experience in UNIX, "*.Z" files
(please note the CAPITAL 'Z') are compressed using "compress" and
"*.z" files (please note the lower case 'z') are compressed using
"pack" which use different compaction algorithms....  Also, with "pack"
and its counterpart "unpack", you do NOT specify the ".z" extension.
--
Lance G. Hartmann - cs.utexas.edu!devnull!lance (Internet)
DISCLAIMER:  All opinions/actions expressed herein reflect those of my VERY OWN

civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu (FURRY R) (06/26/91)

In article <325@devnull.mpd.tandem.com>, lance@mpd.tandem.com (Lance Hartmann) writes...
>In article <1991Jun24.160111.5688@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> ii9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>>[STUFF DELETED]
>>I asked:
>>2) In ab20, there's a file called "FILES.Z" which according to the
>>readme is supposed to be an index to what files are at that site.  But
>>it seems to be compressed in some way I'm not familiar with.  I've tried
>>arc, zoo, lharc, warp, etc. but nothing works.
>>
>>   Files with the .z extension are Unix compress files.  The command is
>>"compress -d <filename>.z", "decompress <filename>.z", "uncompress
>>[REMAINDER DELETED]
>
>Could someone confirm this please?  In my experience in UNIX, "*.Z" files
>(please note the CAPITAL 'Z') are compressed using "compress" and
>"*.z" files (please note the lower case 'z') are compressed using
>"pack" which use different compaction algorithms....  Also, with "pack"
>and its counterpart "unpack", you do NOT specify the ".z" extension.

   Comfirmed.  I've never used pack or unpack, and have been able to
decompress ALL the .Z/.z files I've tried.  The file may need renaming
to .Z, but it still works properly.

/ |CIVIR1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu| Q: Is there a UNIX FORTRAN optomizer? \
\ |    Scott Ellis          | A: Yeah, "rm *.f"    _                /