[comp.unix.amiga] Minix on 500?

dgick@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (damian gick) (01/10/91)

Would Minix run well (if at all...) on an Amiga 500 with one meg
ram and just two 880k floppies?

If it does, would the disk swapping be unbearable?

Thanks,

Damian J. Gick   |  Please send any mail to:      | "...And keep on
IU @ South Bend  |                                |  thinking free!"
CSCI Undergrad   |  dgick@sbway.iusb.indiana.edu  |     --The Moody Blues

scottf@cai.uucp (Scott Fleming) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan9.203807.5004@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> dgick@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (damian gick) writes:

>Would Minix run well (if at all...) on an Amiga 500 with one meg
>ram and just two 880k floppies?

Yes, it runs fine on an Amiga (500 and 2000) with one meg of memory.

>If it does, would the disk swapping be unbearable?

The root file system is mounted on ram, so if there is any disk swapping,
it's not noticeable.

>Thanks,

||   Nick Smith                                                 ||
||   All American BBS: 415-827-9791  24 hours HST/v.32          ||
||                                                              ||
||           :Only a dreamer can have everything:               ||

faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey <NECR0SIS>) (01/11/91)

scottf@cai.uucp (Scott Fleming) writes:
>>Would Minix run well (if at all...) on an Amiga 500 with one meg
>>ram and just two 880k floppies?

While on the subject of Minix, where would one find this program?

|      ///| a.k.a. NECR0SIS     faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu  -or-          |
|  \\\///_|                     faheyr@rose.ucs.indiana.edu                  |
|   \XX/  |  M  I  G  A      "'Ere long done do does did..."  - The Smiths   |
|             "...life is seen through the eyes of a dog..."  - Skinny Puppy |

jhensley@isis.cs.du.edu (John Hensley) (01/13/91)

Minix should run just fine on that system; in fact it's only recently that
a driver for the A590 was announced in comp.os.minix. Someone else is working
on a driver for the GVP Series II. The point is that the official line is
"a hard drive is not required, or even supported."

Disclaimer: I don't own Minix; I just hang out in comp.os.minix a lot 'cause
I'm curious about it -- just not enough to write my own HD drivers yet! :)
You'll find lots of people ready to answer just about any question on Minix
there, including the original author (Andy Tanenbaum).

John