[comp.unix.amiga] Moving Directories

bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) (01/13/91)

In <5187@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

>>(Try "mv" on a directory, I'd like to see if that works - It should... under
>>SYSVR3.x it doesn't!)

This did not work correctly and would cause a PANIC on "demand",
with the BSD derived SunOS I was working with a year back.
Naturally, this was discovered during a demo.  It did not like to
move directories across mount point, when the pathname referred to
was a symbolic link to the destination.

Anybody want to try it on the 3000UX?!

>Given that S5R4 has a BSD-style "rename()" call, one would hope it
>works; that presumes that AT&T fixed "mv" not to waste its time with
>"/usr/lib/mv_dir" and just use "rename" to move stuff (including
>directories).

I only just found out about mv_dir a couple of days ago on a SVR3.2
system, when I had to umount /usr filesystem... YUCK!  And I only
wanted to rename the directory.
--
Metapro Systems, 328 Albany Highway, Victoria Park Western Australia 6100