[comp.unix.amiga] Developing AmigaOS on AmigaUnix

We've seen posting in c.s.a.* recently that a substantial part of AmigaOS
development is still being done with cross compilers on Suns.  The question
crossed my mind: now that AmigaUnix is fairly robust, how would it work to
do cross development of AmigaOS (not applications, the OS itself) on the
AmigaUnix instead?  Sure would cut down on network traffic!  Seems like the
ideal development platform.  Is there something I don't know here?

Kent, the man from xanth.

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.040226.9832@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>We've seen posting in c.s.a.* recently that a substantial part of AmigaOS
>development is still being done with cross compilers on Suns.  The question
>crossed my mind: now that AmigaUnix is fairly robust, how would it work to
>do cross development of AmigaOS (not applications, the OS itself) on the
>AmigaUnix instead?  Sure would cut down on network traffic!  Seems like the
>ideal development platform.  Is there something I don't know here?

We've been moving away from the Suns onto native Amiga development;
this has been a goal of mine for the last two years.  Almost
everything is native now, with the exceptions of graphics,
intuition, and layers.

We could switch over to the Amiga Unix system, but we'd have to port
our cross compiler (Greenhills, with a custom back end that does
Amiga object format), but I'd prefer to take those last couple
of modules native, if we're going to have to do porting work anyway.

			andy

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"God was able to create the world in only seven days because there
 was no installed base to consider."