[comp.unix.amiga] XView, OLIT, or ...?

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (01/17/91)

I have been wondering about the version of the OPEN LOOK window
manager and especially the OPEN LOOK toolkits available for the Amiga
3000/UX.

- Is the window manager supplied the one developed by AT&T, or is it
  the OPEN LOOK window manager developed by Sun and used in Open
  Windows as well as in the X distribution available from MIT and the
  X Consortium?

- A number of OPEN LOOK toolkits for X has been implemented. One,
  under various names at various times (sigh) from AT&T, one called
  OLIT from Sun, and one called XView, also from Sun. The AT&T toolkit
  and OLIT are based on the X Toolkit Intrinsics, while XView has an
  API resembling SunView. Which of these are supplied with AMIX (or
  whatever it's called)?

The toolkit part is especially important. Lots of software has been or
is in the process of being written with XView. The fact that XView is
available free means that lots of people have adopted it. This is
especially so for University projects.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk    |  Life is hard, and then you die.
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK.  |             - The Immaterial

jac@gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) (01/20/91)

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:
>   one called
>   OLIT from Sun, and one called XView, also from Sun. The AT&T toolkit
>   and OLIT are based on the X Toolkit Intrinsics, while XView has an
>   API resembling SunView. Which of these are supplied with AMIX (or
>   whatever it's called)?

OLIT is AT&T's toolkit, not Sun's. Sun does ship a version of it with
Openwindows 2.0. The version Sun ships looks to be considerably less
mature than XView (and I have yet to see any software that uses it).

> /Lars

  Jim
James A. Crotinger   Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab // The above views
jac@gandalf.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808;  L-630     \\ // are mine and are not
(415) 422-0259       Livermore CA  94550       \\/ necessarily those of LLNL.

jcb@frisbee.Eng.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) (01/23/91)

amanda@iesd.auc.dk (Per Abrahamsen) writes:

> [...]

    jac> OLIT is AT&T's toolkit, not Sun's.

    OLIT is Sun's name for the toolkit AT&T used to call Xt+, but now
    call OPEN LOOK.

There is cooperation on OLIT development between the two companies. It
is a joint effort.

    Confused?

OPEN LOOK is the user interface design, not the  implementation.  OLIT
(formerly XT+) and XView are implementations of OL.

-Jim Becker

	 Jim Becker / jcb%frisbee@sun.com  / Sun Microsystems

amanda@iesd.auc.dk (Per Abrahamsen) (01/23/91)

Followups directed to comp.windows.open-look.

Jim> OPEN LOOK is the user interface design, not the  implementation.  OLIT
Jim> (formerly XT+) and XView are implementations of OL.

Yes, that is the answer one gets from Sun, and it makes the
distinction between the UI and the toolkit clear.  However, AT&T
insist on calling both the UI and the toolkit for OPEN LOOK in their
press releases, and does not mention OLIT.

While the "formerly XT+" toolkit may be a joint effort between Sun and
AT&T, they seem unable to agree on the name.