[comp.unix.amiga] Screen Blanker

pateros@ecse.rpi.edu (Chuck Pateros) (01/30/91)

In version Beta 3a of the SysV, you could logout of a
virtual screen, and the console screen would go blank.

In version Beta 3j, when you logout of a virtual screen,
you are informed of the fact with a big message.  If you
want your screen to be blank, however, you are out of luck.

I modified the F10 virtual screen to have both the text and
the background screens black to give me a nice screen
blanker.

The /etc/inittab line is below:

F10:23:respawn:/etc/getscr -g10 -x800 -y600 -0 000 -1 000 term/con10 con # F10

Chuck Pateros
Communication Research Laboratory
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
pateros@ecse.rpi.edu

ag@cbmvax.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (01/30/91)

In article <|#!&?-*@rpi.edu> pateros@ecse.rpi.edu (Chuck Pateros) writes:
>In version Beta 3a of the SysV, you could logout of a
>virtual screen, and the console screen would go blank.
>
>In version Beta 3j, when you logout of a virtual screen,
>you are informed of the fact with a big message.  If you
>want your screen to be blank, however, you are out of luck.
>
>I modified the F10 virtual screen to have both the text and
>the background screens black to give me a nice screen
>blanker.
>
>The /etc/inittab line is below:
>
>F10:23:respawn:/etc/getscr -g10 -x800 -y600 -0 000 -1 000 term/con10 con # F10

The message that appears when you logout of a virtual screen is
actually suppose to be a menu of some sort so you can choose another
screen to use (without using the ALT-FUNC key sequence).

The line in /etc/inittab:

	S3::sysinit:/usr/amiga/etc/menud&

is responsible for the current behavior.  Remove its entry in the inittab
or change menud to your liking.

A better screen saver would activate when no virtual screen had
received input after a certain time (say five minutes).

Said program would run from inittab and keep track of idle times for
each text screen (/dev/term/con*).  When the timeout occurs it would
create its screen and use SIOCFRONT to force it to the users view.

The program would do something weird until a key was hit then close
then screen and restart.

Look at /usr/amiga/src/cmd/samp.c and /usr/amiga/src/cmd/fractal/* for
examples on graphic screen I/O under Amiga Unix.

Pax, Keith