[comp.unix.amiga] Graphics on Amiga Unix???

warren@atmos.washington.edu (David Warren) (02/05/91)

How do you do graphics under Amiga Unix? Do you have to do everything
in X or is there (now or future) a GKS and/or PHIGS out for it? Also,
is there any way to take advantage of the blitter from UNIX?
--
David Warren 		INTERNET: warren@atmos.washington.edu
(206) 543-0945		UUCP:	  uw-beaver!atmos.washington.edu!warren

ag@cbmvax.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (02/06/91)

In article <WARREN.91Feb4125422@rainbow.atmos.washington.edu>
warren@atmos.washington.edu (David Warren) writes:
>How do you do graphics under Amiga Unix?

You can open a graphics screen and write to the bitplanes.  This is
how /usr/amiga/bin/fractal was written.

>Do you have to do everything in X or is there (now or future) a GKS
>and/or PHIGS out for it?

You do not need to write graphics applications under X but for now that
is the easiest way.  We may supply a graphics library in the future.

>Also, is there any way to take advantage of the blitter from UNIX?

In a hackish sort of way you could open /dev/amiga and write to the
graphics chips.  A windowing system was written to take advantage of
this.

Pax, Keith

ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (02/06/91)

In article <WARREN.91Feb4125422@rainbow.atmos.washington.edu> warren@atmos.washington.edu (David Warren) writes:
>How do you do graphics under Amiga Unix? Do you have to do everything
>in X or is there (now or future) a GKS and/or PHIGS out for it? Also,
>is there any way to take advantage of the blitter from UNIX?

There is the ability to create a graphics screen in most of the Amiga
graphics modes, and directly access the bitplane memory.  This is the
method used by the X server to create its display.  This interface
does not provide access to the blitter yet.

For now, X is the "portable" way to do graphics; there may be GKS or
some similar library later.
					-=] Ford [=-

"Look over there!... A dry ice		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 factory -- a good place to get		ford@amix.commodore.com
 some thinking done."			uunet!cbmvax!ditto
 - Talking Heads, "Cities"		ford@kenobi.commodore.com

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (02/06/91)

     I loved the cute picture of Mike Ditto in Tech Notes.. Its has
been digitized and is now on my Sun. Glad to see that another "real
programmer" that has taught himself and keeps his own hours....

     Long Live The Sixties!!!! All you need love.... er.. Born To Run SVR4
Yeah thats the ticket...
--
 adam hill --  hill@evax.uta.edu
     I programmed for three days          Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

scherb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Jeff Scherb - CATS) (02/07/91)

In article <WARREN.91Feb4125422@rainbow.atmos.washington.edu> warren@atmos.washington.edu (David Warren) writes:
>How do you do graphics under Amiga Unix? Do you have to do everything
>in X or is there (now or future) a GKS and/or PHIGS out for it? Also,
>is there any way to take advantage of the blitter from UNIX?
>--
>David Warren 		INTERNET: warren@atmos.washington.edu
>(206) 543-0945		UUCP:	  uw-beaver!atmos.washington.edu!warren
>Dept of Atmospheric Sciences, AK-40
>University of Washington

GTS-GRAL, of Darmstadt, Germany is working on both GKS and PHIGS
ports for Amiga UNIX.  They are very near completion.  They
can be contacted at (0 61 51) 73 09-0 (voice) or (0 61 51) 7 77 18 (FAX)
if you'd like more information.
Jeff Scherb
Vice President, Applications & Technical Support (CATS)
(215) 431-9184 - Commodore Business Machines
FAX (215) 431-9156
uucp: ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!scherb

dcr3567@isc.rit.edu (D.C. Richardson ) (02/08/91)

>     I loved the cute picture of Mike Ditto in Tech Notes.. Its has
>been digitized and is now on my Sun. Glad to see that another "real
>programmer" that has taught himself and keeps his own hours....

  Is he really 25 and did programming the Amiga Age him so quick, or was
that just a untra-caffeinated 4-am type?

-Dan
um... typo... the 3pm kind. :)
--
Daniel C. Richardson
Rochester Institute Of Technology     /    Mechanical Engineering Dept.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb11.031630.15334@stb.info.com> michael@stb.info.com (Michael Gersten) writes:

> Wait a sec...you mean that there is no access to layers.library or
> intuition.library?

It has been posted time and time again.  AmigaDOS and Amiga UNIX don't
run concurrently.  What good would layers or intuition be?  Besides, X
is one huge layers library (over generalization there) with a lot of
intuition-like things built in.  For just intuition.library and
layers.library to run successfully without AmigaDOS you'd have to get
parts of AmigaDOS running, and that'd be as difficult as getting
AmigaDOS to run concurrently.

> Also, what do you mean, "MOST of the Amiga graphics modes"?
> What's not supported, and why?

Ever run a HAM workbench?
--
One thousand, one hundred, seventy five people died of AIDS
last week.  Did someone mention a war in Iraq?

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (02/11/91)

)
)Wait a sec...you mean that there is no access to layers.library or
)intuition.library?

They're in a whole different world, Michael.  Integrating unix and
amigaOS is a big project.  Intuition isn't going to be doing much
without Exec, input.device, and so on.

I think Apple has a real advantage running Mac apps under their
unix--not that I know much about the details--because this brings
down the price of applications (higher volume than would be generated
on unix for a good while), and I hope C= does the research for
the Amiga equivalent.

But clearly the job of a unix box is to focus first on the standards.
The Amiga difference is gravy.  Persons writing amiga-unix-specific
applications at this time would have to be ... very far-sighted at best.

I hope that if somebody has a special application, probably something
"device level", they can get a more effective way to get to
the blitter and copper.  And copper and vblank interrupts.

But that's a far cry from trying to carry along layers and Intuition.

)Is there any good reason why a unix process can't link against
)a library that has the same calling interface as these two creatures
)and supports the same features? Granted, it may be as simple as a
)library that does IPC to a program that has the ROMS as part of its
)program space (which would actually be useful as it would then take
)up MUCH less space than X, and be usable in a 2 meg configuration).

There's more to the libraries than the calling interface, right?
Intuition uses semaphores, for example, which use and rely on
Exec's task model, which you might be able to get up and running
as a task under unix, but it's certainly not going to be arbitrating
access between multiple unix threads.  At least I wouldn't want to
wait until then for my unix box.

)Also, what do you mean, "MOST of the Amiga graphics modes"?
)What's not supported, and why?

Again speaking from experience, there are some very odd Amiga graphics
modes around these days, and anybody with a long prioritized todo
list would be most wise to hedge on committing to support all of
them.

I think they've been wise to support the standard "portable" stuff
on the ulowell card, rather than spending much time on A2024 mode,
or even "productivity mode", bang-for-buck-wise.

)		Michael

)"Space is an illusion; disk space doubly so"

And ROM space?  Nature abhors no vacuum greater than she abhors
headroom in a ROM.

	jimm

--
--- opinions expressed herein are my own. ---
"... Because they can."

In article <1991Feb11.031630.15334@stb.info.com> michael@stb.info.com (Michael Gersten) writes:
>In article <992@amix.commodore.com> ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>>For now, X is the "portable" way to do graphics; there may be GKS or
>>some similar library later.
>
>Wait a sec...you mean that there is no access to layers.library or
>intuition.library?
>
>Is there any good reason why a unix process can't link against
>a library that has the same calling interface as these two creatures
>and supports the same features? Granted, it may be as simple as a
>library that does IPC to a program that has the ROMS as part of its
>program space (which would actually be useful as it would then take
>up MUCH less space than X, and be usable in a 2 meg configuration).

	Getting any of the AmigaDos ROM code to run under Unix would
require MAJOR rewrites of at least the lower-level code such as exec.
(The higher-level you go, the less that needs rewriting, but the more
modules below it that need to be).

	I don't think the current Unix kernel has any equivalent to
(for example) WaitBlit.  Most Unix resource locking I've seen in the
past was done as files, a rather high-overhead operation for low-level
interleaved access - fine for high-level exclusive long-term access.

	I could be wrong, if so the Unix guys will correct me.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) (02/16/91)

In <18787@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

>	Getting any of the AmigaDos ROM code to run under Unix would
>require MAJOR rewrites of at least the lower-level code such as exec.

This could well be the case. I honestly have no idea of _how_ low
level the exec handling would need to be. However, as C= has full
control of AmigaDOS, it is certainly not an insurmountable problem.

>(The higher-level you go, the less that needs rewriting, but the more
>modules below it that need to be).

If they are higher level, then they need not know about such things as
hardware, memory locations, etc.

>	I don't think the current Unix kernel has any equivalent to
>(for example) WaitBlit.  Most Unix resource locking I've seen in the
>past was done as files, a rather high-overhead operation for low-level
>interleaved access - fine for high-level exclusive long-term access.

This sort of thing, which is really hardware synchronisation, is best
handled in a device driver. (IMHO)

>	I could be wrong, if so the Unix guys will correct me.

It's not a trivial project. However, there is no reason why it can't
be done, if you have the time and money :-)

A virtual AmigaDOS could exist under UNIX. There are certainly some
things that you will lose, such as real-time capabilities, because the
AmigaDOS would be running as a process under UNIX. This situation may
changes in future, when UNIX grows some real-time extension.

Files could be shared quite easily, with AmigaDOS devices mounted as
UNIX filesystems and UNIX filesystems visible to AmigaDOS as devices.
--
 _--_|\  Bernd Felsche         #include <std/disclaimer.h>
/      \ Metapro Systems, 328 Albany Highway, Victoria Park,  Western Australia