[comp.unix.amiga] Why OpenWindows instead of Motif ?

halvard@solan.unit.no (Halvard Halvorsen) (02/15/91)

Does anyone know the reason why C= went for OpenWindows ?
I mean - this is the Sun supported GUI - while Motif
are supported by IBM,DEC,HP etc.
Why did C= settle for OpenWindows - or maybe they didn't ??

Does anybody know ??

Halvard =8-)

jac@gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) (02/15/91)

halvard@solan.unit.no (Halvard Halvorsen) writes:

> Does anyone know the reason why C= went for OpenWindows ?
> I mean - this is the Sun supported GUI - while Motif

  You are correct that OpenWindows IS a Sun product, but that is not,
I believe, what the A3000UX comes with. I believe it comes with AT&T's
implementation of the OPEN LOOK GUI, which was jointly developed by
AT&T and Sun, and is a part of SVR4. I don't know what all this
includes, and I would very much like to see a posting describing it in
more detail; e.g., is there a filemgr, which is specified as part of
the OPEN LOOK GUI standard? Sun's OpenWindows product supplies this as
well as many other "deskset tools". Also, are there any plans to port
Sun's xnews? XView? All of the screen shots I've see show the "2D"
version of OPEN LOOK, not the 3D version which most people with color
(at least most Sun users around here) prefer. Hasn't AT&T gotten 3D
support into OLIT yet?

> are supported by IBM,DEC,HP etc.
> Why did C= settle for OpenWindows - or maybe they didn't ??
             ^^^^^^
                Is there an implication here that Motif would, in some
way, be better? I'll guarantee you'll get a lot of of disagreement on
that one. (Serious religious war material here, kind of like the Mac
vs. Amiga Intuition vs. Windows debate.) As for IBM, ...., using
Motif, we might as all switch back to MS-DOS as it is the clear winner
in number of installed sites. (Ack!). Just because it is most popular
don't mean it's best (as all Amigans know!).

> Does anybody know ??

  No, but I'm glad they did. I hope they'll port xnews and XView too.

> Halvard =8-)

  Jim

James A. Crotinger   Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab // The above views
jac@gandalf.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808;  L-630     \\ // are mine and are not
(415) 422-0259       Livermore CA  94550       \\/ necessarily those of LLNL.

cpetterb@es.com (Cary Petterborg) (02/16/91)

In article <jac.666602287@sundance> jac@gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) writes:

>   halvard@solan.unit.no (Halvard Halvorsen) writes:
>
>   > Does anyone know the reason why C= went for OpenWindows ?
>   > I mean - this is the Sun supported GUI - while Motif
>
>     You are correct that OpenWindows IS a Sun product, but that is not,
>   I believe, what the A3000UX comes with. I believe it comes with AT&T's
>   implementation of the OPEN LOOK GUI, which was jointly developed by
>   AT&T and Sun, and is a part of SVR4. I don't know what all this
>   includes, and I would very much like to see a posting describing it in
>   more detail; e.g., is there a filemgr, which is specified as part of
>   the OPEN LOOK GUI standard? Sun's OpenWindows product supplies this as
>   well as many other "deskset tools". Also, are there any plans to port
>   Sun's xnews? XView? All of the screen shots I've see show the "2D"
>   version of OPEN LOOK, not the 3D version which most people with color
>   (at least most Sun users around here) prefer. Hasn't AT&T gotten 3D
>   support into OLIT yet?
>
>   > are supported by IBM,DEC,HP etc.
>   > Why did C= settle for OpenWindows - or maybe they didn't ??
>		^^^^^^
>		   Is there an implication here that Motif would, in some
>   way, be better? I'll guarantee you'll get a lot of of disagreement on
>   that one. (Serious religious war material here, kind of like the Mac
>   vs. Amiga Intuition vs. Windows debate.) As for IBM, ...., using
>   Motif, we might as all switch back to MS-DOS as it is the clear winner
>   in number of installed sites. (Ack!). Just because it is most popular
>   don't mean it's best (as all Amigans know!).

	DITTO!  I prefer OpenLook to Motif (and I use Motif all day
	everyday on my workstation at work, so I do know what I am
	talking about).  I just wish people understood that Motif
	being supported by vendors doesn't mean it's better.  On the
	contrary, being supported by most vendors just means that
	somebody big (like IBM, OSF, etc) settled for something (often
	for political reasons) and all the sheep lined up behind them
	because they worship the dung littered ground they walk on.
	Oops, I forgot to :-|.  Note no :-).

>   > Does anybody know ??
>
>     No, but I'm glad they did. I hope they'll port xnews and XView too.

	Ditto, again.  MANY applications are being ported from
	Sunview to the XView toolkit.  It's then a short hop to
	porting it to Amiga UNIX (68000 based ABI for SVR4 anyway).
	I'd like to have access to all the Sunview applications!

>   > Halvard =8-)
>
>     Jim

Just One Man's Warped Opionion of Things!!  :-)

Cary

--
_______________
Cary Petterborg					   (801)582-5847 x6446

aspgpas@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (Peter Silva) (02/16/91)

I don't know about Commodore specifically.  But For those of you
who are unitiated in the UNIX standards wars... There are two camps

OSF -- Open Software Foundation
	Big Blue, HP, Apollo, etc... love this.
	Kernel based on Mach (from CMU), Motif GUI.
	They call their unix OSF-x (starting at 1)

Unix International
	AT&T, Sun, and other hangers on.
	Kernel is SVR4,  GUI is Open Look.
	they call they unix  UNIX System V Release x (starting at 4)

OSF-1 has only been available to developers for a couple of months, while
SVR4 has been around for a good 2 years.  It is more stable, etc...

Commodore is just following the "standards" of the Unix International
group.  It seems to be the appropriate thing to do.

--
Peter Silva			OS Support
psilva@cid.aes.doe.ca		Dorval Computing Centre

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb14.211546.21222@ugle.unit.no> halvard@solan.unit.no (Halvard Halvorsen) writes:
>Does anyone know the reason why C= went for OpenWindows ?
>I mean - this is the Sun supported GUI - while Motif
>are supported by IBM,DEC,HP etc.
>Why did C= settle for OpenWindows - or maybe they didn't ??

It's simple: because Motif sucks big time.

We have Sun-2s running OpenLook and RS/6000s running Motif.  With the
exception of one of the people who paid for an RS/6000, our entire
department likes OL *much* better.

So there, nyah.

(Follow-ups to alt.religion.computers...)
--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
Skate UNIX or bleed, boyo...

gerry@dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb15.235403.12606@cid.aes.doe.CA> aspgpas@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (Peter Silva) writes:
>I don't know about Commodore specifically.  But For those of you
>who are unitiated in the UNIX standards wars... There are two camps
>
>OSF -- Open Software Foundation
	The Motif Camp

>Unix International
	The OpenLook/Windows Camp

But unfortunately, the GUI crosses over this boundary.  For instance,
Interactive, SCO, ESIX and the other 386-box UNIX SysV3 vendors
supply the Motif widgets and toolkits for their System V Release 3
products.  I see no reason why they won't do that for their Release 4
versions (I haven't seen their Rel 4 offerings yet).

I believe OpenLook/Windows is provided by AT&T as part of the standard
Release 4 package to their licensees (ie CBM, SCO, Sun, etc), and it
up to the licensee to provide it.

As a side note, most of the commercial products I've seen at trade
shows seem to use the Motif widgets rather than the OpenLook widgets.

lars@iclswe.icl.se (Lars Tunkrans) (02/17/91)

halvard@solan.unit.no (Halvard Halvorsen) writes:

>Does anyone know the reason why C= went for OpenWindows ?
>I mean - this is the Sun supported GUI - while Motif
>are supported by IBM,DEC,HP etc.
>Why did C= settle for OpenWindows - or maybe they didn't ??

>Does anybody know ??

Open Look is the GUI in the SVR4 package. This is because of the AT&T - SUN
connections. Last I heard there were about 100 English language applications
available for Open Look, ( dont ask me for the names of these apps. ask SUN )
and only a dozenful available for Motif. This was now some months ago.

As far as I know Motif has not yet been ported to SVR4.

Lars.
--

mls@cbnewsm.att.com (mike.siemon) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb17.130425.27667@iclswe.icl.se>, lars@iclswe.icl.se
(Lars Tunkrans) writes:

> As far as I know Motif has not yet been ported to SVR4.

Well, I don't know if anyone is selling binaries for Motif on SVR4, but it
is not a big deal to "port" the source -- there are minor makefile and compile
glitches that are not hard to work out.

However, Motif is (a) bigger (b) slower and (c) less functional[*] than the
equivalent (i.e. OLIT, based on Xt) OPEN LOOK toolkit.  (I have no idea how
it would compare to XView on the same hardware.)
------
[*] this is partly a matter of definition -- Motif *does* have more convenience
functions and more ready-to-use widget pieces than OLIT; however, there is no
component corresponding to the OPEN LOOK workspace and file managers (plus a
few other utility kinds of functions that tend to come with any OPEN LOOK
implementation.
--
Michael L. Siemon		"O stand, stand at the window,
m.siemon@ATT.COM		    As the tears scald and start;

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb17.224556.26157@cbnewsm.att.com> mls@cbnewsm.att.com (mike.siemon) writes:
>However, Motif is (a) bigger (b) slower and (c) less functional[*] than the

I thought the biggest reason to spurn Motif was the "licensing fee" that
you're supposed to pay for each machine/terminal using Motif as its
UI.  OpenLook is free, of course...

(I still like Intuition more than either one, but that's another battle... :-)
--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
Skate UNIX or bleed, boyo...
(UNIX is a trademark of Bell Laboratories).

>I thought the biggest reason to spurn Motif was the "licensing fee" that
>you're supposed to pay for each machine/terminal using Motif as its
>UI.  OpenLook is free, of course...

Well, one *implementation* of OPEN LOOK, namely the XView toolkit and
the Crucible/Sun "olwm" window manager, is free.  I know of no free
implementation of the OL "file manager" functionality, and as far as I
know AT&T's window manager and OLIT tookit aren't free; somebody may,
for whatever reason, want an Xt-based toolkit, and XView isn't one.