[comp.unix.amiga] A3000UX to AmigaDos Networks

hjalmar@cbmswe.UUCP (Peter Hjalmarsson) (03/02/91)

In article <18c4877c.ARN0eb3@cbmami.UUCP> jason@cbmami.UUCP writes:
>Well after recieving some very patient help from Martin Hunt and Keith
>"Cheese Whiz" Gabryelski (both from Commodore), I was finally able to get
>my A3000UX to AmigaDos network up and running.  Gee, usenet is better than
>the MAN pages :-), it turns out that I made the stupid mistake of assigning
>my A3000UX an address which ended in .0 and that was not a good idea.
>
>Now that everything is working let me just say that a network of Amigas
>running AmigaDos is really cool!  We have a store which has several
>different Amigas each dedicated to a different application (A3000 DTP,
>A2500 DTVideo, A2500 BridgeCard/Amax, etc...), we put a CBM Ethernet card
>in all of them and installed the TCP/IP software, then we connected them
>all via thin cable to out A3000UX.

All this sounds great, and if it weren't for the fact that we already have
a Novell network, I would probably do a similiar setup here myself.

>Now not only can we use the A3000UX as a file server (which is very fast,
>BTW) but we can share files between all the machines, plus instead of
>cluttering the HardDrives on every machine with the same software, we need
>only keep one copy on the A3000UX.  It makes for some great demoing
>capability.  We can scan a picture on the DTP system in 24bit color, then
>go over to the DTVideo amiga, grab the file and display it with DCTV or the
>Toaster.  Likewise, I can print on the PostScript Laser (connected to the
>DTP system) from an application running on our Amiga running AMAXII and the
>BridgeCard.  I highly recommend it!

Hey, how do you do that?! That is, how do I make the DTP Amiga running
AmigaDOS act like a printer server? I could always get the A3000UX to
be a printer server, but an AmigaDOS machine?

>I also just wanted to thank Keith and Martin for all their help...
>
>Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason

I know this might sound like dumb questions from a Commodore employee, but
not everyone of us is TCP/IP wizards yet. I have gotten so far as getting
NFS to work, except that I cannot get WB2.0 to display any icons for the
remote partition. All files are accessable otherways.

Regards / Peter Hjalmarsson, Amiga Support, Commodore Sweden
{uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmswe!hjalmar

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (03/03/91)

[...]

Del Mar, CA