[comp.unix.amiga] Amiga 2500UX ??

joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) (01/31/91)

     I don't want to sound too naive, but seeing as how I already have an
 Amiga 2500/030 equipped with a 5 MB RAM, a 40MB HD, and am using it with
a NEC 3D Multisync monitor (BTW, currently I'm running SKSh, the closest
thing I can find to a unix shell) APPROXIMATELY, how much $$$ would it
cost me to turn this system into the full equivalent of a 3000UX ?  This
would include another HD, more RAM, (Tape Drive ?), the OS itself, and any
chips found in a stock 2500/030 not found in a 3000.

Post all replies here, and please try not to laugh too hard.

-Jm

P.S.   I have heard that Commodore will be touting a 1.44 MB High
    Density drive with future 3000UX's.  Can AE's drive be used as a substitute
    (seeing as how I already have one) ?

In article <224@nos850.UUCP> joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:

>     I don't want to sound too naive, but seeing as how I already have an
> Amiga 2500/030 equipped with a 5 MB RAM, a 40MB HD, and am using it with
>a NEC 3D Multisync monitor (BTW, currently I'm running SKSh, the closest
>thing I can find to a unix shell) APPROXIMATELY, how much $$$ would it
>cost me to turn this system into the full equivalent of a 3000UX ?  This
>would include another HD, more RAM, (Tape Drive ?), the OS itself, and any
>chips found in a stock 2500/030 not found in a 3000.

	Joe, minimally you'll need 5MB RAM, which you already
have, and a 100MB HD (almost all dedicated to Unix, depending on
whether you want X/OpenLook, Networking, Man pages, ...). The
only other thing you'll need is a tape drive cause that appears
to be how Commodore will be distributing Unix. You SHOULD be fine
otherwise, but I haven't heard any official word.

>-Jm
>
>P.S.   I have heard that Commodore will be touting a 1.44 MB High
>    Density drive with future 3000UX's.  Can AE's drive be used as a substitute
	I haven't heard anything about this.

	-- Ethan

	"It seemed like he appeared on every television show
except Wheel of Fortune. You see, he was afraid that Vanna might
turn over the 'L' word."
	-- George Bush attacking Michael Dukakis for going on TV

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (01/31/91)

In article <224@nos850.UUCP> joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:

>     I don't want to sound too naive, but seeing as how I already have an
> Amiga 2500/030 equipped with a 5 MB RAM, a 40MB HD, and am using it with
>a NEC 3D Multisync monitor (BTW, currently I'm running SKSh, the closest
>thing I can find to a unix shell) APPROXIMATELY, how much $$$ would it
>cost me to turn this system into the full equivalent of a 3000UX ?  This
>would include another HD, more RAM, (Tape Drive ?), the OS itself, and any
>chips found in a stock 2500/030 not found in a 3000.
>
>Post all replies here, and please try not to laugh too hard.
>
>-Jm
>
>P.S.   I have heard that Commodore will be touting a 1.44 MB High
>    Density drive with future 3000UX's.  Can AE's drive be used as a substitute
>    (seeing as how I already have one) ?

Well, lessee...

My Amiga Unix machine is a 2500/030 with 200 Megs of Hard Drive space,
5 megs of RAM, one floppy drive, and a SCSI Tape Drive.  Works fine.

				-- Kevin --

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

	``Be excellent to each other.''
		- Bill and Ted's most excellent adventure

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.

In article <18337@cbmvax.commodore.com> kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) writes:
>In article <224@nos850.UUCP> joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:
>>P.S.   I have heard that Commodore will be touting a 1.44 MB High
>>    Density drive with future 3000UX's.  Can AE's drive be used as a substitute
>>    (seeing as how I already have one) ?

	You'd need to write a custom driver for the hardware (or get AE to).
The current ROMs and Unix do not include direct support for the AE drive, it's
their own custom thing.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (03/05/91)

In article <18337@cbmvax.commodore.com> kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) writes:
>My Amiga Unix machine is a 2500/030 with 200 Megs of Hard Drive space,
>5 megs of RAM, one floppy drive, and a SCSI Tape Drive.  Works fine.
>
>Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
>Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Hmmm.  We have used several A3000's running UNIX.  It seems that 8 meg FAST
RAM and 1 meg CHIP is JUST BARELY ENOUGH...  With 4 meg FAST, and 2 CHIP it
is swapping several meg of virtual memory (once Openlook is brought up).

I have not used Amiga UNIX for an extended period of time-- so how do you
put up with 5 meg of RAM?  Isnt compiling a bare/slow?

					- David K

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .

skrenta@amix.commodore.com (Rich Skrenta) (03/05/91)

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:

> Hmmm.  We have used several A3000's running UNIX.  It seems that 8 meg FAST
> RAM and 1 meg CHIP is JUST BARELY ENOUGH...  With 4 meg FAST, and 2 CHIP it
> is swapping several meg of virtual memory (once Openlook is brought up).
                                                  ^^^^^^^^

I think at least 8 meg of ram is a requirement to run X on any platform.

> I have not used Amiga UNIX for an extended period of time-- so how do you
> put up with 5 meg of RAM?  Isnt compiling a bare/slow?

If you don't swap, it won't be any slower than with 8 meg.  And if you
don't use X, it won't swap...  :-)

Rich
--
skrenta@amix.commodore.com

brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) (03/06/91)

In <1231@amix.commodore.com> skrenta@amix.commodore.com (Rich Skrenta) writes:

>david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:

>> Hmmm.  We have used several A3000's running UNIX.  It seems that 8 meg FAST
>> RAM and 1 meg CHIP is JUST BARELY ENOUGH...  With 4 meg FAST, and 2 CHIP it
>> is swapping several meg of virtual memory (once Openlook is brought up).

>I think at least 8 meg of ram is a requirement to run X on any platform.

Hardly a "requirement".  I've managed to get by on a 4 meg diskless
sun 2.  But, the more memory you have, the more you can run without
becoming conscious of swapping...

Just nitpicking, of course.
--
Brian
brsmith@cs.umn.edu

bcphyagi@csunb.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.033824.10225@cs.umn.edu> brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R.
Smith) writes:

>>I think at least 8 meg of ram is a requirement to run X on any platform.
>
>Hardly a "requirement".  I've managed to get by on a 4 meg diskless
>sun 2.

I wonder how...I'm told by our systems people here that with both X and
OpenLook under SunOS 4.1.1, a screen refresh after a window drag is a
30 second operation (!!!) on a 4 MB diskless Sun 3/50 (12 MHz 68020).
Of course, he may have had GNU Emacs in a window...
--
Stephen R. Walton, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Cal State Northridge
bcphyagi@csunb.csun.edu until my Suns come back up

brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) (03/07/91)

In <1991Mar6.190721.27760@csun.edu> bcphyagi@csunb.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:

>In article <1991Mar6.033824.10225@cs.umn.edu> brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R.
>Smith) writes:

>>>I think at least 8 meg of ram is a requirement to run X on any
>>>platform.

>>Hardly a "requirement".  I've managed to get by on a 4 meg diskless
>>sun 2.

>I wonder how...I'm told by our systems people here that with both X
>and OpenLook under SunOS 4.1.1, a screen refresh after a window drag
>is a 30 second operation (!!!) on a 4 MB diskless Sun 3/50 (12 MHz
>68020).

This was under SunOS 3.4 and the MIT X server, without much besides
the X server and an xterm or three running.  There were many other
(faster) machines on the net for things like xfig, idraw, window
managers, etc.  Response time was limited mostly by processor speed,
not swap speed.

OpenWindows and 4.1.1 are gluttonous on memory.  The X11/NeWS server
tends to take at least twice as much memory as a straight X server.
(Yes, it does more, but those extras are NOT X.)  I can see them
grinding a 4 meg machine into the ground - especially with swap over
the net.

>Of course, he may have had GNU Emacs in a window...

You need a dedicated machine for that, of course.  Something like a
six processor Sequent.  :-)

I suppose I shouldn't open my mouth until I see it and play with it,
BUT, I think a 4meg 3000UX with local swap should be usable with X.
With only one user.  With most of the common daemons disabled.
Without "too many" X clients.

Ok, maybe 8 meg would be a lot better...  :-)
--
Brian