[comp.unix.amiga] UnixWorld tidbit

lindwall@mbongo.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) (02/27/91)

Spotted this in the Feb 91 UnixWorld, "Industry News" section:

DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN

"Commodore promises to make its annual new product announcement at UniForum for
the Amiga workstation running AT&T System V Release 4.  Product Managager Jesse
Bornfreund, recently brought on board from Rabbit Software, admits, "We figured
it was time to put up or shut up".  The machines were in beta release last
summer. One site was Virginia Polytechnic, where computer science students were
allowed to run roughshod over it.  Westinghouse was another site.

Anxious developers who wanted to upgrade from Amiga's DOS applications paid
$5000 for machines.  Bornfreund reports "pilot sales" -- placement in
companies for testing with potential for future volume sales - to Martin
Marietta, NASA, and Rockwell.  The machine will cost between $5000 and
$10,000, says BornFreund.  The 68030-based workstation (with a 68040-based
version to come) will run SVR4 and the Motif graphical user
interface."

-----

"68040 version to come", OK we've assumed that...  "Motif" !?!?!  Is this
a mistake?  I assume so!
--
John Lindwall			lindwall@cs.ucsd.edu
"Oh look at me! I'm all flooby! I'll be a son of a gun!" -- Flaming Carrot

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith "Cheese Whiz" Gabryelski) (02/27/91)

In article <17021@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> lindwall@mbongo.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall)
writes:
>[...Quote from UnixWorld...]:
>]The 68030-based workstation (with a 68040-based version to come)
>]will run SVR4 and the Motif graphical user interface."
>
>"68040 version to come", OK we've assumed that...  "Motif" !?!?!  Is this
>a mistake?  I assume so!

System V Release 4.0 from Commodore comes with AT&T's OLIT (AT&T's
implementation of The Open Look GUI).

We are looking into offering Motif as well.

Pax, Keith
--
"[...] a POSIX implementation that |         Keith Gabryelski
returns errors for practially every|  Amiga Unix Software Development

cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) (02/28/91)

As far as the Motif part--since we decided that the UX was going to run
a different GUI--I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to
run a Motif environment on the 3000UX.  I have seen an IBM RT simply xhost
and allow a different machine (with the Motif window manager) to alter its
home display and essentially have Motif running on his machine(although
a little
slower obviously)

Chad

giger@cbmehq.UUCP (Thomas Giger ESCO TSG) (03/08/91)

In article <1206@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith "Cheese Whiz" Gabryelski) writes:
>In article <17021@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> lindwall@mbongo.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall)
>writes:
>>[...Quote from UnixWorld...]:
>>]The 68030-based workstation (with a 68040-based version to come)
>>]will run SVR4 and the Motif graphical user interface."
>>
>>"68040 version to come", OK we've assumed that...  "Motif" !?!?!  Is this
>>a mistake?  I assume so!
>
>System V Release 4.0 from Commodore comes with AT&T's OLIT (AT&T's
>implementation of The Open Look GUI).
>
>We are looking into offering Motif as well.
>
>Pax, Keith
>--
>"[...] a POSIX implementation that |         Keith Gabryelski

A preliminary Motif 1.1 port done by a german developer will be shown
at Hanover CeBIT show '91 (March 13-20). This is meant to demonstrate
that a quick&dirty port is quite easy to do but does not indicate that
we are actually going to buy or ship this particular port.

-- Thomas.
--
Thomas Giger, Technical Support Manager
Commodore European Support & Coordination Office (ESCO)