[comp.unix.amiga] saving Amiga-format disks

rglaeser@sunc4.cs.uiuc.edu (Russell D Glaeser) (03/12/91)

     The microcomputer resource center here on campus has a 3000UX hooked
into our local network.  I was there recently wanting do download some
large files quickly onto 3.5's for use on my non-unix machine.  The person
there seemed to indicate that the unix box doesn't/can't write Amiga-format
floppys.  Is this true?  If it isn't, how do you do it?  Do you have to be
in workbench?  Please help, the prospect of downloading 2M at 1200 baud
is frightening.

Russ Glaeser
rglaeser@cs.uiuc.edu

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (03/12/91)

In article <27DC6091.3AA4@ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu> rglaeser@sunc4.cs.uiuc.edu (Russell D Glaeser) writes:

>     The microcomputer resource center here on campus has a 3000UX hooked
>into our local network.  I was there recently wanting do download some
>large files quickly onto 3.5's for use on my non-unix machine.  The person
>there seemed to indicate that the unix box doesn't/can't write Amiga-format
>floppys.  Is this true?  If it isn't, how do you do it?  Do you have to be
>in workbench?  Please help, the prospect of downloading 2M at 1200 baud
>is frightening.
>
>Russ Glaeser
>rglaeser@cs.uiuc.edu

This question was asked in another group and the response seems to be to
use a program on the UNIX side called bru (or BRU? or Bru? or bRu? or ...).
On my 3000UX this 'bru' fellow is invisible! The manual mentions  cpio  and
the man pages mention  backup.
I mention the above confusion because I am also confused by it and would
appreciate clarification from anyone.

Would some kind soul clearly write instructions to accomplish this?

Many thanks,
                                Herb

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (03/13/91)

->
-
-This question was asked in another group and the response seems to be to
-use a program on the UNIX side called bru (or BRU? or Bru? or bRu? or ...).
-On my 3000UX this 'bru' fellow is invisible! The manual mentions  cpio  and
-the man pages mention  backup.
-I mention the above confusion because I am also confused by it and would
-appreciate clarification from anyone.
-
-Would some kind soul clearly write instructions to accomplish this?
-
-Many thanks,
-                                Herb

The Amiga Unix Tech Notes states that BRU (sp?:-) exists in a Unix and
an Amiga-DOS variant. They use the same BRU-specific disk format (Tech
Notes doesn't say that), and it can be used to transfer files between
the two worlds.

They also say something to the effect:
"If you don't already have BRU, ask Commodore for it"

It doesn't say if you will get it :-)

Tommy Petersson
tope@enea.se