[comp.unix.amiga] Device driver development on a 3000UX

dave@pluto.dss.com (Dave Monachello) (03/07/91)

Hi,
  We are thinking about using 3000UX's for STREAMS driver development but
I can't find the kernel configuration directories (like /etc/conf and
/etc/conf/cf.d). Can anyone help?

	thanks
		dave monachello

ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (03/07/91)

dave@pluto.dss.com (Dave Monachello) writes:
> I can't find the kernel configuration directories (like /etc/conf and
> /etc/conf/cf.d).

Kernel configuration/linking is not supported until version 2.0,
coming soon...

					-=] Ford [=-

"A just machine to make big decisions	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
programmed by fellows with compassion	ford@amix.commodore.com
and vision." - Donald Fagen, "IGY"	uunet!cbmvax!ditto
					ford@kenobi.commodore.com

hunter@bacchus.esa.oz.au (James Gardiner [Hunter]) (03/11/91)

>Kernel configuration/linking is not supported until version 2.0,
>coming soon...
        ^^^^

Gee I hate the word "SOON".
Like if I said that the world was going to end soon..
Would you be worried....   Narrrr..
Still got time to have a life and die from old age!!

Wait until they change it from "soon" to "real soon now"
kinda an evolution from.
"soon" Um going well.  it seems to work but having some small problems.
"real soon now" After redesigning it in the "soon" phase, it actually IS
close to release.  But then again, we may bump into another small bug
that has to work due to specs and step us back into the "soon" phase.

How long has it been in BJ4 now???
near a year......

FLAME FLAME...
"Sorry captain, did not mean to fire my afterburners..   CRRRK"
"Be more careful and get back here now.. CRRRK"
"Yes Sir.  OVER  CRRRK"

Hunter
James Gardiner [Hunter][hunter@bacchus.esa.oz.au]    Expert Solutions Australia
                 UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!hunter@bacchus.esa.oz.au
                   ARPA: hunter%bacchus.esa.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (03/12/91)

In article <hunter.668651997@thomas> hunter@bacchus.esa.oz.au (James Gardiner [Hunter]) writes:
>>Kernel configuration/linking is not supported until version 2.0,
>>coming soon...
>        ^^^^
>
>Gee I hate the word "SOON".
>Like if I said that the world was going to end soon..
>Would you be worried....   Narrrr..
>Still got time to have a life and die from old age!!

Well, the trouble with the word "soon" is that it is completely devoid of any
objective meaning, and is also utterly dependant on context.  Not only that,
if the object of interest doesn't appear "soon", even from the producers
point of view, there is no way to "prove" them wrong.  All they have to do
is keep their mouths shut.

>Wait until they change it from "soon" to "real soon now"

Same argument.  BTW, is Workbench 2.0 supposed to be out for the Amiga < 3000
soon, or real soon now?  ;-)

"I can't wait forever -- even though you want me to:
 Time won't let me (oh, no!)"	- some '60s group...

--
Dave Schaumann | dave@cs.arizona.edu | Short .sig's rule!

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith "Cheese Whiz" Gabryelski) (03/13/91)

In article <hunter.668651997@thomas> hunter@bacchus.esa.oz.au
(James Gardiner [Hunter]) writes:
>>Kernel configuration/linking is not supported until version 2.0,
>>coming soon...
>
>Gee I hate the word "SOON".

You must remember that we are The Engineering Staff.  We do not
dictate when a version of the OS is released.  That is for
Engineering, QA, PA, Marketing, Sales, and Production to decide
together.  No one group is permitted to give specific dates on
anything until this decission is collectively made.

>How long has it been in BJ4 now???  near a year......

I guess you are talking about Beta4J.  Yo!  Release 1.1 is out.
Before that was Beta4k.  Before that was Beta4j-rdbfix.  You have old
software if you are running Beta4j.

``Kernel configuration/linking is not supported until version 2.0''

Pax, Keith
--
Too many people take too many risks.  Too many people I see get dis'd.
Keith Gabryelski                                 Advanced Products Group

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith "Cheese Whiz" Gabryelski) (03/14/91)

In article <1332@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com I wrote:
>I guess you are talking about Beta4J.  Yo!  Release 1.1 is out.
>Before that was Beta4k.  Before that was Beta4j-rdbfix.  You have old
>software if you are running Beta4j.

Beta4 should be replaced with Beta3 in the above paragraph.

Pax, Keith