[comp.unix.amiga] Unix on the A2000 w/ which accellerator?

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (03/17/91)

	I am assuming that Unix will run fine on the Commodore
Accellerators, such as my A2630.  The question is will Unix run on the GVP
accellerators (like their 33MHz and 50MHz 68030's)?  GVP doesn't seem to be
too much help in anwering this question, when I called their tech support
and asked, he first answered, "I don't know."  Then when I asked how I
could find out, he put me back on hold and came back with "yes, it will
work, fine."  However, when I made it clear that I intended to try it, the
yes turned into "well, it will probably work..."

	I am not even sure how I would install Unix on my A2500 (A2630)
much less how to do it on a GVP equipted machine.  I know when I re-boot
the A2500 w/ both mouse buttons down that it gives me a menu which includes
Unix.  I have the Unix tape, and the Commodore tape drive, the problem is I
don't know how I would install the Unix software (from AmigaDos) do that
the Unix menu would recognize it.  GVP claims (or used to claim) to have
ROM sockets on their boards to support unix but I don't know if these
really exist.

-Jason-

Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason
Del Mar, CA

ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (03/19/91)

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) writes:
> 	I am assuming that Unix will run fine on the Commodore
> Accellerators, such as my A2630.  The question is will Unix run on the GVP
> accellerators (like their 33MHz and 50MHz 68030's)?

Amiga Unix used to depend on the boot ROMs on the A2630, but starting
with version 2.0, this depedency will be gone.  The new version should
work on any Amiga with an MMU and math chip and AmigaDOS 2.0 ROMs.

However, this is ignoring the issue of using disk controllers other
than A2091 or A3000 SCSI interfaces.

> 	I am not even sure how I would install Unix on my A2500 (A2630)
> much less how to do it on a GVP equipted machine.  I know when I re-boot
> the A2500 w/ both mouse buttons down that it gives me a menu which includes
> Unix.  I have the Unix tape, and the Commodore tape drive, the problem is I
> don't know how I would install the Unix software (from AmigaDos) do that
> the Unix menu would recognize it.

The tape should have come with boot floppies and instructions.  For
pre-version 2.0 installation, the basic idea is to select Unix from
the menu with the "A2500 Boot" floppy in the drive, and follow the
instructions that appear.  This procedure only applies to those beta
versions, though, and will be different in the future.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Look over there!... A dry ice		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 factory -- a good place to get		ford@amix.commodore.com
 some thinking done."			uunet!cbmvax!ditto
 - Talking Heads, "Cities"		ford@kenobi.commodore.com

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (03/19/91)

In article <1427@amix.commodore.com> ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) writes:
>> 	I am assuming that Unix will run fine on the Commodore
>> Accellerators, such as my A2630.  The question is will Unix run on the GVP
>> accellerators (like their 33MHz and 50MHz 68030's)?
>
>Amiga Unix used to depend on the boot ROMs on the A2630, but starting
>with version 2.0, this depedency will be gone.  The new version should
>work on any Amiga with an MMU and math chip and AmigaDOS 2.0 ROMs.
>
>However, this is ignoring the issue of using disk controllers other
>than A2091 or A3000 SCSI interfaces.

I sure hope C= (or at least the marketing section) doesn't
make it so Amiga UNIX won't work on 3rd party hard drives controllers
and accelerators.  I have a GVP series II and GVP '030
board.  I will not buy an A2091 to run Amiga UNIX, I would
go without.  It seems to me, that there are many A2000 systems
out there with non-C= '030 boards and non-C= hard drive controllers.
If some of the more common configurations aren't supported,
then I don't see much of a future for Amiga UNIX on soupped up
A2000's, which is too bad, 'cause I don't want to put more
money in computer hardware right now (I've already spent ~8K
on my dream Amiga system :-).

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at

himacdon@maytag.uwaterloo.ca (Hamish Macdonald) (03/19/91)

Loren> I sure hope C= (or at least the marketing section) doesn't make
Loren> it so Amiga UNIX won't work on 3rd party hard drives
Loren> controllers and accelerators.

I think it would be up to the controller manufacturer to provide a
link-ready device-driver object module for Amiga Unix.

I would highly (*extremely* highly) doubt that there would be anything
in Amiga Unix to *prevent* adding one of these drivers.

I don't think it is Commodore's responsibility to provide the driver,
however.  Just to make it possible to use one supplied by the
controller vendor.

Hamish.
himacdon@maytag.uwaterloo.ca                 watmath!maytag!himacdon

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.124047.27083@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> l-rittle@uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:
>In article <1427@amix.commodore.com> ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>>Amiga Unix used to depend on the boot ROMs on the A2630, but starting
>>with version 2.0, this depedency will be gone.  The new version should
>>work on any Amiga with an MMU and math chip and AmigaDOS 2.0 ROMs.
>>
>>However, this is ignoring the issue of using disk controllers other
>>than A2091 or A3000 SCSI interfaces.
>
>I sure hope C= (or at least the marketing section) doesn't
>make it so Amiga UNIX won't work on 3rd party hard drives controllers
>and accelerators.  I have a GVP series II and GVP '030
>board.  I will not buy an A2091 to run Amiga UNIX, I would
>go without. It seems to me, that there are many A2000 systems
>out there with non-C= '030 boards and non-C= hard drive controllers.
>If some of the more common configurations aren't supported,
>then I don't see much of a future for Amiga UNIX on soupped up
>A2000's, which is too bad, 'cause I don't want to put more
>money in computer hardware right now (I've already spent ~8K
>on my dream Amiga system :-).

What company wrote the software drivers to make your GVP Series II work
in the A2000 for AmigaDOS? That's right, GVP.

So now, what company must write the software drivers to make your GVP
Series II work in the A2000 for Unix?  Aha, it's GVP.

There's nothing technically preventing Amiga Unix from supporting all
third party hard drives.  But it'll have to be the third parties that
make this happen.  Therefore you'r job is to convince GVP that they will
earn real dollars if they spend the effort to write Unix drivers for the
Series II.  And I wish you all the luck in the world...
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                ckp@grebyn.com      \\ / /

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.181854.18408@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>In article <1991Mar19.124047.27083@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> l-rittle@uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:
>>In article <1427@amix.commodore.com> ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>>>Amiga Unix used to depend on the boot ROMs on the A2630, but starting
>>>with version 2.0, this depedency will be gone.  The new version should
>>>work on any Amiga with an MMU and math chip and AmigaDOS 2.0 ROMs.
>>>
>>>However, this is ignoring the issue of using disk controllers other
>>>than A2091 or A3000 SCSI interfaces.
>>
>>I sure hope C= (or at least the marketing section) doesn't
>>make it so Amiga UNIX won't work on 3rd party hard drives controllers
>>and accelerators.  I have a GVP series II and GVP '030
>>board.  I will not buy an A2091 to run Amiga UNIX, I would
>>go without. It seems to me, that there are many A2000 systems
>>out there with non-C= '030 boards and non-C= hard drive controllers.
>>If some of the more common configurations aren't supported,
>>then I don't see much of a future for Amiga UNIX on soupped up
>>A2000's, which is too bad, 'cause I don't want to put more
>>money in computer hardware right now (I've already spent ~8K
>>on my dream Amiga system :-).
>
>What company wrote the software drivers to make your GVP Series II work
>in the A2000 for AmigaDOS? That's right, GVP.
>
>So now, what company must write the software drivers to make your GVP
>Series II work in the A2000 for Unix?  Aha, it's GVP.

Note: I'm not disagreeing with you and if you read my post you
will see that I have not said C= must write the driver.  I have said,
"I sure hope C= doesn't make it so Amiga UNIX won't work on 3rd
party hard drives [sic] controllers and accelerators."
There is a difference and you put words in my mouth (hey get those
out of there, please... :-)

I could care less who writes the needed driver (although I'd
bet that there are more GVP SCSI controllers in '030 A2000 than
A2091, but that is another story...)  And then there is the fact
that one currently can't relink the kernal, so yes I stand by
my original statement that I hope C= marketing does not throw a
furbar in the way... :-)

>There's nothing technically preventing Amiga Unix from supporting all
>third party hard drives.  But it'll have to be the third parties that
>make this happen.  Therefore you'r job is to convince GVP that they will
>earn real dollars if they spend the effort to write Unix drivers for the
>Series II.  And I wish you all the luck in the world...

As stated above, there damn well is a problem:  you can't relink the
kernal!  Actually, all I would need to do is convince GVP to
give me data on their hardware and I could write my own driver
provided that this mythical Amiga UNIX 2.0 with user relinking
comes about in the near future.  Today, all A2000 owners san C=
A2091 are out of luck.  I hope that changes soon, or I won't
be using Amiga UNIX.