[comp.unix.amiga] Serial port, hardware handshaking not availible ?!?

rcstack@rw9.urc.tue.nl (Studenten Vereniging Stack) (03/20/91)

We have an A3000 UX connected to a serial printer (QMS lasergrafix 1200). To
print graphics we have to options:

  - slow mode; 4 bit binary data encoded as 0123456789ABCDEF

  - fast mode; 8 bit raw binary data

Currently we are using XON/XOFF handshaking, so we can only use slow mode;
if the printer receives an XOFF in software handshake mode, it stops receiving
data until it receives an XON. While sending a bitmap in fast mode, everytime
a ctrl-s is in the data (once every 256 bytes average) the data is lost until
the next XON character.

This is not nice! :-(

Sending a bitmip in fast mode already takes long enough at 38400 baud so we
tryed to put our pizza boxes (sorry) in CTS/RTS handshake mode. We typed

stty ctsxon </dev/term/ser  while logged in as root.

But no, no hardware handshaking. After reading the manual we found... Nothing.
I know the amiga can do hardware handshaking (at least my old 500 can).

BUT HOW DO I DO IT ON AMIGA UNIX!

(Sorry for shouting but after three days hacking I'm a little frustrated.)

Please send replies to us; we're desperate!

Email: Internet: rcstack@urc.tue.nl              Bitnet: rcstack1@heitue5
Computer Association STACK, Computing Centre RC 1.82,
Eindhoven University of Technology, POBox 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, Holland.

ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (03/21/91)

rcstack@rw9.urc.tue.nl (Studenten Vereniging Stack) writes:
> if the printer receives an XOFF in software handshake mode, it stops receiving
> data until it receives an XON. While sending a bitmap in fast mode, everytime
> a ctrl-s is in the data (once every 256 bytes average) the data is lost until
> the next XON character.

This sounds like you have a totally braindamaged printer.  Obviously,
you can not send binary data to any device which works as you
describe, no matter how the sending device is configured.

> I know the amiga can do hardware handshaking (at least my old 500 can).
>
> BUT HOW DO I DO IT ON AMIGA UNIX!

CTS/RTS handshaking is always enabled for the builtin serial port.  If
you have XON/XOFF enabled, it will use that in addition, but the CTS
line is always treated as hardware flow control.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Like a pizza in the rain,		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 no one wants to take you home."	ford@amix.commodore.com
 - David Byrne, "Loco de Amor"		uunet!cbmvax!ditto
					ford@kenobi.commodore.com