[comp.unix.amiga] Can I buy UNIX after I've purchased a 3000?

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (02/17/91)

It's time for me to get a 3000 (my 2000+ scads of video hardware was
recently stolen, so I get to rebuild from scratch).    However, I'm
not sure if I can afford a 3000UXD at this point, but I can afford
a vanilla 3000/25.  Will I be able to upgrade in the future?  I'm
used to loading unix off of floppies (3b1s, MassComps, etc), so I don't
mind that too much...

Also, should I expect it to be educationally discountable?  I'd hate to
miss saving a grand or so just because I didn't buy UNIX when I bought
my 3000.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
Skate UNIX or bleed, boyo...

krauss@mansw1.enet.dec.com (Michael Krauss) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Feb17.012732.7828@lavaca.uh.edu>, jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:

>It's time for me to get a 3000 (my 2000+ scads of video hardware was
>recently stolen, so I get to rebuild from scratch).    However, I'm
>not sure if I can afford a 3000UXD at this point, but I can afford
>a vanilla 3000/25.  Will I be able to upgrade in the future?  I'm
>used to loading unix off of floppies (3b1s, MassComps, etc), so I don't
>mind that too much...

i was at the cebit fair here in germany on tuesday. there i talked to a C=
rep. he stated that there is a unix-kit available to uprade a plain a3000.
the kit includes a 200meg quantum, on which the unix is installed ready to
go.it is listed at about 4000DM (ca. $2500).
he wasn't able to say, wether C= is going to sell unix on tape or not.

>Also, should I expect it to be educationally discountable?  I'd hate to
>miss saving a grand or so just because I didn't buy UNIX when I bought
>my 3000.

no edu discount here in germany.

>--
>J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
>Skate UNIX or bleed, boyo...
>(UNIX is a trademark of Bell Laboratories).

Michael Krauss			#include <std_disclaimer.h>
DEC Mannheim, Germany		"AMIGA or VAX, nothing else please !"
"krauss@mansw1.enet.dec.com" or "...!decwrl!mansw1.enet!krauss"