[comp.unix.amiga] What commercial end-user applications are exist NOW for the A3000UX?

chymes@uri.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (03/29/91)

Charlweed

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.150700.16316@engin.umich.edu> chymes@uri.csmil.umich.edu
(Charles Hymes) asks "What commercial end-user applications are exist NOW for
the A3000UX?"

Comeau Computing has stated that they have ported their C++ 2.1 to the A3000UX.

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

jac@gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) (03/30/91)

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:
> Comeau Computing has stated that they have ported their C++ 2.1 to the A3000UX.

  That's kind of interesting. The A3000UX will have a better C++ environment
that AmigaDOS.

> Jeff Schweiger

  Jim
James A. Crotinger     Lawrence Livermore Natl Lab // The above views
jac@moonshine.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808;  L-630    \\ // are mine and are not
(415) 422-0259         Livermore CA  94550      \\/ necessarily those of LLNL

In article <jac.670323271@sundance> jac@gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) writes:
>schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:
>> Comeau Computing has stated that they have ported their C++ 2.1 to the A3000UX.
>
>  That's kind of interesting. The A3000UX will have a better C++ environment
>that AmigaDOS.

	That would be true except for the fact that Comeau C++ is
already shipping for AmigaDOS as well. 8-)

>> Jeff Schweiger
>
>  Jim
>--
>James A. Crotinger     Lawrence Livermore Natl Lab // The above views
>jac@moonshine.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808;  L-630    \\ // are mine and are not
>(415) 422-0259         Livermore CA  94550      \\/ necessarily those of LLNL

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar30.182128.21954@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
  (Ethan Solomita) writes:
[Re: Comeau C++ providing a better C++ environment on the UX than in AmigaDOS.]
>	That would be true except for the fact that Comeau C++ is
>already shipping for AmigaDOS as well. 8-)

Really?  I have finally gotten a chance to do some work in C++ and I've fallen
head-over-heels for this language.  Fearful of the things I've heard about the
Lattice version of it, I haven't gotten a C++ compiler for my Amiga.

So, my apologies if I am the only person who hasn't seen the ads, can you
provide more details on the availability and price of Comeau C++?  I am not
familiar with their compilers, so can you give some opinions of it, too?

>	-- Ethan
>
>Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
>A: None. It's a hardware problem.

Greg
--
       Greg Harp       |"How I wish, how I wish you were here.  We're just two
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|running over the same ground.  What have we found?
  s609@cs.utexas.edu   |The same old fears.  Wish you were here." - Pink Floyd

In article <46487@ut-emx.uucp> greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:

>So, my apologies if I am the only person who hasn't seen the ads, can you
>provide more details on the availability and price of Comeau C++?  I am not
>familiar with their compilers, so can you give some opinions of it, too?

	I haven't actually used it, but Comeau is apparently an
industry standard on many platforms. It requires SAS/C (purchased
separately) and costs $250 or $275, I forget which. It uses
cfront 2.1, so it translated from c++ to c and then compiles.
However, despite this you can use cpr to debug the C++ source
code.
	It is available now, but this has just started a few
weeks ago. You probably won't find it in dealers because they
aren't giving significant discounts. Ads I would imagine will
start appearing ASAP.
	I don't know the address, but they are in Queens, NY.
	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

zebr360@ut-emx.uucp (Jerry Heyman) (04/01/91)

In article <jac.670323271@sundance> jac@gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) writes:
>schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:
>> Comeau Computing has stated that they have ported their C++ 2.1 to the
>> A3000UX.
>
>  That's kind of interesting. The A3000UX will have a better C++ environment
>  that AmigaDOS.

Not true.  I talked to Comeau on Friday (concerning availability of their
C++ for IBM RISC System/6000) and asked about the Amiga port.  They said that
it was available for BOTH AmigaDos and A3000UX.  The price they quoted me
was $250 (US), with the caveat that you need the Lattice Compiler for the
AmigaDos version.

Anyone want to speculate as to the requirement of the Lattice/SAS C compiler
requirement?

I don't represent Comeau (and have no vested interest in the company), I'm
just repeating what I was told last Friday

>> Jeff Schweiger
>
>  Jim
>--
>James A. Crotinger     Lawrence Livermore Natl Lab // The above views

jerry

--
Jerry Heyman                  by day: IBM PSP, AIX Development
zebr360@emx.utexas.edu        by nite: Adjunct Lecturer at St. Edward's Univ.

*All comments are my own and should not be construed to represent any one else