[comp.unix.amiga] Mathematica

Michael.Witbrock@cs.cmu.edu (03/31/91)

I went to a talk about mathematica 2.0 by Wolfram a week or so ago, and
I asked the (probably inevitable) ``when can I run Mathemeatica on my
amiga'' and he said ``most people with amigas don't want programs like
mathematica, and anyway, it's be too hard to port it to amigaos''.
Leaving aside our inevitable indignation at these claims, there is
something else that he said that might be useful. He said that it is
very easy for them to port mathematica to Un*x machines, and that if it
was to run on an amiga at all, the ``one that runs unix'' would be it.

So, someone from commodore might like to contact Wolfram research and
talk to them about porting mathematica to the 3000 UX.

michael

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Anarchy for Peace) (03/31/91)

In article <kbxBPRW00XNI0HhWxB@cs.cmu.edu> Michael.Witbrock@cs.cmu.edu writes:
>I went to a talk about mathematica 2.0 by Wolfram a week or so ago, and
>I asked the (probably inevitable) ``when can I run Mathemeatica on my
>amiga'' and he said ``most people with amigas don't want programs like
>mathematica, and anyway, it's be too hard to port it to amigaos''.

I'm curious what they would have said if you had told them Maple is available
on the Amiga...

--
Colin DeWolfe
dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (03/31/91)

In article <kbxBPRW00XNI0HhWxB@cs.cmu.edu> Michael.Witbrock@cs.cmu.edu writes:
>I went to a talk about mathematica 2.0 by Wolfram a week or so ago, and
>I asked the (probably inevitable) ``when can I run Mathemeatica on my
>amiga'' and he said ``most people with amigas don't want programs like
>mathematica, and anyway, it's be too hard to port it to amigaos''.
>Leaving aside our inevitable indignation at these claims, there is
>something else that he said that might be useful. He said that it is
>very easy for them to port mathematica to Un*x machines, and that if it
>was to run on an amiga at all, the ``one that runs unix'' would be it.
>
>So, someone from commodore might like to contact Wolfram research and
>talk to them about porting mathematica to the 3000 UX.
>
>michael

Maple has been ported to the Amiga. The current version is 4.2. The newest
version will be Maple V. It is currently in beta testing for the Amiga and
will be ported to Amiga UNIX. It is an excellent pgm. We use it as our
primary software in our Amiga Classroom to teach a full range of mathematics
courses.
                                        Herb

Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  Albany, NY 12222  (518) 442-4640
hibrown@leah.albany.edu or hibrown@cssun.albany.edu or hibrown@bst.albany.edu

rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) (04/01/91)

 Where can I get maple? Is it available on FTP?

In article <1991Mar31.132726.8189@sarah.albany.edu> hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:

>Maple has been ported to the Amiga. The current version is 4.2. The newest
>version will be Maple V. It is currently in beta testing for the Amiga and
>will be ported to Amiga UNIX. It is an excellent pgm. We use it as our
>primary software in our Amiga Classroom to teach a full range of mathematics
>courses.
>                                        Herb

	I got a newsletter from Waterloo-Maple software saying
the version V IS shipping now.

>--
>Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  Albany, NY 12222  (518) 442-4640
>hibrown@leah.albany.edu or hibrown@cssun.albany.edu or hibrown@bst.albany.edu

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar31.220750.6790@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991Mar31.132726.8189@sarah.albany.edu> hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
>>
>>Maple has been ported to the Amiga. The current version is 4.2. The newest
>>version will be Maple V. It is currently in beta testing for the Amiga and
>>will be ported to Amiga UNIX. It is an excellent pgm. We use it as our
>>primary software in our Amiga Classroom to teach a full range of mathematics
>>courses.
>>                                        Herb
>
>	I got a newsletter from Waterloo-Maple software saying
>the version V IS shipping now.

>>Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  Albany, NY 12222  (518) 442-4640
>>hibrown@leah.albany.edu or hibrown@cssun.albany.edu or hibrown@bst.albany.edu
>
>	-- Ethan
>
>Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
>A: None. It's a hardware problem.

The Amiga version is not shipping. It only runs on certain 'later'
versions of the operating system. It will not run using WB 1.3, for
example. This must be corrected. WB 2 has not been released and Maple
is currently installed on many Amigas running WB 1.3.

In article <1991Apr1.123804.18710@sarah.albany.edu> hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
>In article <1991Mar31.220750.6790@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>>	I got a newsletter from Waterloo-Maple software saying
>>the version V IS shipping now.
>>

>The Amiga version is not shipping. It only runs on certain 'later'
>versions of the operating system. It will not run using WB 1.3, for
>example. This must be corrected. WB 2 has not been released and Maple
>is currently installed on many Amigas running WB 1.3.

	So you mean that it IS shipping, but only if you have
2.0? Well, that isn't so bad considering that 2.0 will likely be
released RSN. Things at Commodore have been REAL quiet lately.
Besides, I have 2.0. 8-)

>                                Herb
>

>--
>Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  Albany, NY 12222  (518) 442-4640
>hibrown@leah.albany.edu or hibrown@cssun.albany.edu or hibrown@bst.albany.edu

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <1991Apr1.123804.18710@sarah.albany.edu> hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:

[ re: Maple V ]

>The Amiga version is not shipping. It only runs on certain 'later'
>versions of the operating system. It will not run using WB 1.3, for
>example. This must be corrected. WB 2 has not been released and Maple
>is currently installed on many Amigas running WB 1.3.

	Minor correction: AmigaOs 2.0 has only been released for the A3000
so far (others RSN).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.125445.20758@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	I got a newsletter from Waterloo-Maple software saying
> the version V IS shipping now.
>
>>is currently installed on many Amigas running WB 1.3.
>>
>	So you mean that it IS shipping, but only if you have
>2.0? Well, that isn't so bad considering that 2.0 will likely be
>released RSN. Things at Commodore have been REAL quiet lately.
>
>	-- Ethan

No Ethan, version Maple V is NOT being shipped yet. It is still being
beta tested. It currently will not run correctly under WB 1.3.2 and has
trouble with many of its newer features under WB 2.xx. For example, it
locks up when asked to do a plot3d or a tubeplot on the Amiga. The UNIX
version, however, works very well.