[comp.unix.amiga] VMS TALKING again....

aq078@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Glenn Waldron) (04/10/91)

Thanks for all the replies to my letter...
I'll be more specific.

I am on MIT's UNIX system
I wish to "talk" with someone on a remote VMS system.

I've heard that PHONE and TALK are not compatable directly, but can be
connected via "decnet".  What exactly is decnet, and how can it be
accessed, from UNIX and VMS?

Thanks again, Glenn.

Glenn A. Waldron   Virginia Tech   E-Mail: gwaldron@gnu.ai.mit.edu

kenw@skyler.arc.ab.ca (Ken Wallewein) (04/10/91)

  DECnet-based Phone and and TCP/IP-based Talk are comparable but
different.  DECnet and TCP/IP likewise.  I know of no way to have Phone
directly interconnect with Talk.

  What you need is for both machines involved to use the same protocol
suite. That means that they must both have DECnet and Phone or both have
TCP/IP and Task, and that there must be an unbroken path for the common
protocol between both machines.

  Note: DECnet on a Unix node may may not include Phone, and TCP/IP on a
VMS node may not include Talk.  They would be non-native to the
architecture (i.e. "third party"); it's worth checking.

  If you don't have all of these things, you're outa luck; you're going to
have to Telnet, rlogin, or SET HOST to a node that does.

--
/kenw

Ken Wallewein                                                     A L B E R T A
kenw@noah.arc.ab.ca  <-- replies (if mailed) here, please       R E S E A R C H
(403)297-2660                                                     C O U N C I L

dlb5404@tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) (04/10/91)

In article <9104100428.AA13489@cwns10.INS.CWRU.Edu> aq078@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:
>I am on MIT's UNIX system
>I wish to "talk" with someone on a remote VMS system.
>
>I've heard that PHONE and TALK are not compatable directly, but can be
>connected via "decnet".  What exactly is decnet, and how can it be
>accessed, from UNIX and VMS?

PHONE and Talk are not compatible, period.

I haven't seen any sort of DECnet product for anything but Ultrix (DEC's
UNIX), but that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist (not by any means!).
DECnet is DEC's proprietary network protocol.  I've seen it mostly running
on VAX/VMS systems.

Your best bet for getting some kind of interactive talk going between
the VMS and UNIX machine is to get some TCP/IP software for the VMS box.
Multinet seems to work fine.

Out of curiosity, how do you send mail from the VMS machine to the
UNIX machine?  If you're using an address like user@machine.school.edu,
then you probably already have the TCP/IP software on the VMS machine.
Does it have talk?

For more details on DECnet, its availability on UNIX machines, and
TCP/IP for VMS machines, you're probably better off checking one of the
VMS or Ultrix groups.

--Daryl Biberdorf,  dlb5404@tamuts.tamu.edu
  Texas A&M University

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (04/11/91)

In article <14461@helios.TAMU.EDU> dlb5404@tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl
Biberdorf) writes:
> PHONE and Talk are not compatible, period.

   Right !

  Furthermore I would say just forget it. If you want to use talk with
your friend, I can guess that he's not close to you (geographically, of
course (-:). That means you'll have to go thru WANs for that. Your machine
is a UNIX machine, and I bet it's on the Internet. He's machine is a VAX
running VMS he's very likely to be on a separate DECnet WAN, and that
means no connection at all .. just mail.

  If your friend's VAX is running Multinet (i.e. when he types 'ftp' he
doesn't get an error message), he may be on the internet, and you might be
able to use talk. If not, I don't think installing Multinet would help
(especially asking the sys manager for that, he's very likely to smile and
ask: what for ?)

    As for implementations of DECnet, you can have DECnet on Ultrix of
course, but also on PCs, on Macs, and on ..... (tsss tsss tsss (-:)

            JNM

PS: and don't ask, there's no talk in DECnet phase V either ! (-:

---
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

JNM: jnmoyne@lbl.gov

horner@turbo.bio.net (Dave Horner) (04/13/91)

Could you please drag this subject to proper news group.
What does UNIX to VMS talk and phone protocol have to do with the unix amiga.

Dave