[comp.unix.amiga] GNU Development Possible?

burley@geech.ai.mit.edu (Craig Burley) (01/09/91)

Is Amiga UNIX going to be sufficiently solid to enable me to get
GNU EMACS, GNU CC, and other GNU software up and running, and to
continue development of GNU Fortran (gf77) on it?  If it was and I
decided to do that, the gf77 would be available for the Amiga
sooner than most other machines (especially those not 680x0-based).

I'm currently using the 680x0-based HP workstations here at the
Free Software Foundation, and they're great -- fast and solid and
all that.  But I'd like to save the 2.5 hours per day commute
(not to mention the commuting costs), and I've gotten mail on this
issue from people recommending the Amiga.

Although I don't have much $$ to spend, I do have both a Mac SE/30
with 8MB/80MB and a Mac SE with 2.5MB/20MB, and could sell either
one or, if absolutely necessary and Mac emulation were available
on the Amiga, both.  Although I do like the Macs, for various
reasons primarily having to do with the Apple boycott, I'd like
to get away from doing free software development on the Mac.  (That
is why I don't simply get A/UX and use it on my SE/30.)

I'm interested only in 68030-based machines, as powerful as
possible -- though my 16MHz 68030 Mac is plenty fast for work under
the Mac OS, I realize that an equivalent Amiga might be a bit
sluggish running UNIX, so I'd like to get a 25MHz or above,
perhaps with cache or a zero-wait-state (whatever that means)
memory subsystem.  What are the available high-end models?  Although
I've been told that the "fastest" Amiga is a model that is not the
high-end but enhanced with an accelerator, I don't know how well
this would work with Unix and such.

I also know nothing about the availability of monitors on Amiga;
is the architecture open enough to allow a variety of choices?
Although color and gray-scale monitors can be lots of fun, I'd
lean towards a solid monochrome display over anything fancy even
if I were offered a choice without having to pay.  If I saw a
color monitor that did B&W as well as a given monochrome, however,
I might be persuaded.  What's the status of this kind of stuff
on the Amiga?

If I end up getting an Amiga, I might start writing some good,
useful personal software on it for use under UNIX & X or perhaps
even the Amiga OS, and releasing it as free software.  That's
why I'd like to find a "personable" machine (i.e. like a Mac in
terms of accessibility and affordability) not sold by Apple --
so any efforts I expend making free software for it can
benefit more users than if I get a Next, Sun, or whatever, since
they're workstations with little need for personal software.
I might end up doing primarily development software for a while,
like Fortran and C compilers, however, so I'm not sure what is next,
which is why I want it to run UNIX (aside from getting me through
the remainder of gf77 development, if I get it in time for that).

Anyone with good, definitive information on these topics, please
email me or, if it's general enough, post a response.  I don't
know if it's wise for me to say I'll post a summary later -- my
needs are probably rather unique, since I'm essentially self-
employed, doing the gf77 work as a volunteer, and hence plan
to work on my Amiga full-time (except for when I'm doing
contracts, when I'd like to be able to bring my Amiga along as
a front-end development machine with my home-grown environment on
it -- as I've been successful doing with my SE/30 in the past).
I.e. I'm not looking for an evening/weekend-hack machine only.

(Although I enjoy playing games on computers, I no longer spend
any significant time doing so, so I'm not really interested in
the availability of game software.  MIDI software, however, is
critical -- I do have synths and use Pro 4 on my SE/30, and have
some ideas for unique MIDI-related software to write for
end-users that I'd like to pursue.  I believe the Amiga is an
excellent MIDI machine with lots of good software.  If this
belief is wrong, please correct me!)
--

James Craig Burley, Software Craftsperson    burley@ai.mit.edu

news@tcr.UUCP (John B. Sobernheim) (01/10/91)

In article <BURLEY.91Jan9081734@geech.ai.mit.edu>, burley@geech.ai.mit.edu (Craig Burley) writes:
> Is Amiga UNIX going to be sufficiently solid to enable me to get
> GNU EMACS, GNU CC, and other GNU software up and running, and to
> continue development of GNU Fortran (gf77) on it?

GNU GCC vs. 1.37 and GNU Emacs both come with the Amiga Sys5R4 distribution.

> Although color and gray-scale monitors can be lots of fun, I'd
> lean towards a solid monochrome display over anything fancy even
> if I were offered a choice without having to pay.  If I saw a

The A2024 Monitor will do 1,008x800 at 14" diagonal with a Paper White,
4 Grey Scale display for $749.95 retail.

> James Craig Burley, Software Craftsperson    burley@ai.mit.edu
--
John Sobernheim   ...boulder!tcr!news || news@tcr.UUCP
The Computer Room ...CIS 76625,1210

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (01/10/91)

>Is Amiga UNIX going to be sufficiently solid to enable me to get
>GNU EMACS, GNU CC, and other GNU software up and running, and to
>continue development of GNU Fortran (gf77) on it?  If it was and I
>decided to do that, the gf77 would be available for the Amiga
>sooner than most other machines (especially those not 680x0-based).

GNU Emacs, and GNU CC has already been ported to the Amiga Unix system,
as has ELM.  Probably others too, but those are the three that I know
for sure since I'm using them...

>I'm interested only in 68030-based machines, as powerful as
>possible -- though my 16MHz 68030 Mac is plenty fast for work under
>the Mac OS, I realize that an equivalent Amiga might be a bit
>sluggish running UNIX, so I'd like to get a 25MHz or above,
>perhaps with cache or a zero-wait-state (whatever that means)
>memory subsystem.  What are the available high-end models?  Although
>I've been told that the "fastest" Amiga is a model that is not the
>high-end but enhanced with an accelerator, I don't know how well
>this would work with Unix and such.

At the moment, I'm running Unix on an Amiga 2500/030, which is the accelerated
model that you're talking about, so the answer is, it works fine.

>I also know nothing about the availability of monitors on Amiga;
>is the architecture open enough to allow a variety of choices?
>Although color and gray-scale monitors can be lots of fun, I'd
>lean towards a solid monochrome display over anything fancy even
>if I were offered a choice without having to pay.  If I saw a
>color monitor that did B&W as well as a given monochrome, however,
>I might be persuaded.  What's the status of this kind of stuff
>on the Amiga?

At the moment, you have your choice of many models, including virtually all
Multi-Synch monitors, several high end color monitors (I'm partial to the
Zenith Flat Tension Monitors), and a 19" monochrome monitor from Moniterm
that is the equivalent of the monochrome SUN monitors.

Note that for some of these monitors you will need to buy a display card.
The Zenith requires a Flicker Fixer or Commodore display enhancer, and the
moniterm has its own display card.

>If I end up getting an Amiga, I might start writing some good,
>useful personal software on it for use under UNIX & X or perhaps
>even the Amiga OS, and releasing it as free software.  That's
>why I'd like to find a "personable" machine (i.e. like a Mac in
>terms of accessibility and affordability) not sold by Apple --
>so any efforts I expend making free software for it can
>benefit more users than if I get a Next, Sun, or whatever, since
>they're workstations with little need for personal software.
>I might end up doing primarily development software for a while,
>like Fortran and C compilers, however, so I'm not sure what is next,
>which is why I want it to run UNIX (aside from getting me through
>the remainder of gf77 development, if I get it in time for that).
>
>Anyone with good, definitive information on these topics, please
>email me or, if it's general enough, post a response.  I don't
>know if it's wise for me to say I'll post a summary later -- my
>needs are probably rather unique, since I'm essentially self-
>employed, doing the gf77 work as a volunteer, and hence plan
>to work on my Amiga full-time (except for when I'm doing
>contracts, when I'd like to be able to bring my Amiga along as
>a front-end development machine with my home-grown environment on
>it -- as I've been successful doing with my SE/30 in the past).
>I.e. I'm not looking for an evening/weekend-hack machine only.
>
>(Although I enjoy playing games on computers, I no longer spend

Obviously, working for Commodore, I use an Amiga every day for
most of my work.  However, before I came to work for Commodore,
the Amiga was my preferred working environment, even for writing
code for other machines.  Note, however, that the Amiga OS (not
the Unix OS, mind you) can take a while to come up to speed to
program - it's not as easy to learn Amiga OS programming as it is
to learn the basics of, say, MS-DOS programming.

>the availability of game software.  MIDI software, however, is
>critical -- I do have synths and use Pro 4 on my SE/30, and have
>some ideas for unique MIDI-related software to write for
>end-users that I'd like to pursue.  I believe the Amiga is an
>excellent MIDI machine with lots of good software.  If this
>belief is wrong, please correct me!)
>--

The Amiga makes an excellent MIDI workstation.  I've already
scored a movie using it, and it's my main composing station for
a multiple Synthesizer set up.  Essentially, I support your conclusion.

				-- Kevin --

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

	``Be excellent to each other.''
		- Bill and Ted's most excellent adventure

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (01/10/91)

In article <BURLEY.91Jan9081734@geech.ai.mit.edu> burley@geech.ai.mit.edu (Craig Burley) writes:
>Is Amiga UNIX going to be sufficiently solid to enable me to get
>GNU EMACS, GNU CC, and other GNU software up and running, and to

From what I've read about Amiga UNIX, it's a complete implementation of
UNIX System V, Release 4.  I've also read that GNU CC comes with it.

How solid will it be?  I sure HOPE it will be a solid, stable system.  It
doesn't look like they're doing a rush job on it, they've been working on
a UNIX based Amiga for a LONG time, first with SVR3.2 (I believe they sold
some of these systems in Europe, but not in the U.S.), then with SVR4.

Some of the beta testers out there could probably answer that question
much better than I can.

>Although I don't have much $$ to spend, I do have both a Mac SE/30
>with 8MB/80MB and a Mac SE with 2.5MB/20MB, and could sell either
>one or, if absolutely necessary and Mac emulation were available
>on the Amiga, both.

Mac emulation is available on the Amiga.  You'll probably get many messages
about AMax (and AMax II), which, from what I've heard, is an excellent
Mac emulator.  One problem is that Apple is getting very cautious about
their ROMS, which you need to use the emulator.

>I'm interested only in 68030-based machines, as powerful as
>possible
>                   What are the available high-end models?  Although
>I've been told that the "fastest" Amiga is a model that is not the
>high-end but enhanced with an accelerator, I don't know how well
>this would work with Unix and such.

The Amiga 3000 is available in 16 and 25 Mhz models.  The memory can be
expanded up to 18MB on the motherboard, and (if such high-capacity boards
were available) up to about 1 gigabyte by the RAM expansion slots.

I forget the exact specs on the Amiga 2500 (it's an expanded 2000), so I
won't say anything else about it.

The Amiga 2000 can be expanded by third parties to run at up to 50MHz,
although the expansion slots with still be the slower, 16-bit slots,
as opposed to the faster, 32-bit slots on the A3000.

Some companies are also working on 68040 boards.

I don't know about the availability of UNIX on the 2500 and on 2000's
with third-party accelerator boards.

>James Craig Burley, Software Craftsperson    burley@ai.mit.edu

Rodney Ricks

--
                                                                            ///
                                                                           ///

skrenta@amix.commodore.com (Rich Skrenta) (01/10/91)

burley@geech.ai.mit.edu (Craig Burley) writes:
> Is Amiga UNIX going to be sufficiently solid to enable me to get
> GNU EMACS, GNU CC, and other GNU software up and running,

Two C compilers are included with our release:  the standard cc as well
as gcc.  Emacs as well as other public domain software including news, elm,
rn, less, etc. are also included.  We felt that these utilities are useful
and "standard" enough to warrant including on our release.  Source code for
the public domain utilities is included in a separate archive on the release
tape.

> ...I'd lean towards a solid monochrome display over anything fancy even
> if I were offered a choice without having to pay.

I agree.  My preferred monitor is a Moniterm 19 inch B&W.  I usually make
most of my multiscreens 50 lines/screen.  It's also a good monitor for
running X.

Rich
--
skrenta@amix.commodore.com

In article <MWM.91Jan9104359@raven.relay.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:

>The only machine shipping with Unix is the A3000/25-100, with Unix
>software. This is a 25MHz 68030 with 4 Meg of SCRAM memory giving a
>zero-wait-state memory subsystem. You probably want to add another 4
>Meg of SCRAM (about $400, last time I looked, but prices should have
>fallen since then). It's also got coprocessors for lots of things, and
>should be nice and quick after the 16Mhz Mac. Price for that system is
>about $5000 for developers.

	Not at all! That system is $4,000. The other system is
really the A3000/25-200. It has a 200MB HD and 9MB RAM (1MB
chip). That is the one that costs $5,000.
	-- Ethan

	"Don't forget the importance of the family. It begins
with the family. We're not going to redefine the family.
Everybody knows the definition of the family. ... A child. ... A
mother. ... A father. There are other arrangements of the family,
but that is a family and family values."

	-- Dan Quayle, of course. Our beloved Vice President.
	It's just too easy!

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Colin DeWolfe) (01/10/91)

In article <17298@cbmvax.commodore.com> kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) writes:
[gnu stuff nuked]
>>memory subsystem.  What are the available high-end models?  Although
>>I've been told that the "fastest" Amiga is a model that is not the
>>high-end but enhanced with an accelerator, I don't know how well
>>this would work with Unix and such.
>
>At the moment, I'm running Unix on an Amiga 2500/030, which is the accelerated
>model that you're talking about, so the answer is, it works fine.

I think what he may have meant was the GVP 50MHZ 3001.  I'm curious about
this because a friend of mine might upgrade his 2000 with one of these
if it runs UNIX, otherwise, he'll sell and buy a 3000.  So does Amiga UNIX
suport the A3001 board or what?

>>I also know nothing about the availability of monitors on Amiga;
>>is the architecture open enough to allow a variety of choices?
>>Although color and gray-scale monitors can be lots of fun, I'd
>>lean towards a solid monochrome display over anything fancy even
>>if I were offered a choice without having to pay.  If I saw a
>>color monitor that did B&W as well as a given monochrome, however,
>>I might be persuaded.  What's the status of this kind of stuff
>>on the Amiga?
>
>At the moment, you have your choice of many models, including virtually all
>Multi-Synch monitors, several high end color monitors (I'm partial to the
>Zenith Flat Tension Monitors), and a 19" monochrome monitor from Moniterm
>that is the equivalent of the monochrome SUN monitors.
>
>Note that for some of these monitors you will need to buy a display card.
>The Zenith requires a Flicker Fixer or Commodore display enhancer, and the
>moniterm has its own display card.

Let's not forget the 14" 2024 greyscale monitor (1008x800 (i think) and
the fact that the A3000 comes with a Display Enhancer...

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca

nicks@cai.uucp (Nick Smith) (01/11/91)

In article <17298@cbmvax.commodore.com> kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) writes:
>>Is Amiga UNIX going to be sufficiently solid to enable me to get
>>GNU EMACS, GNU CC, and other GNU software up and running, and to
>>continue development of GNU Fortran (gf77) on it?  If it was and I
>>decided to do that, the gf77 would be available for the Amiga
>>sooner than most other machines (especially those not 680x0-based).
>
>GNU Emacs, and GNU CC has already been ported to the Amiga Unix system,
>as has ELM.  Probably others too, but those are the three that I know
>for sure since I'm using them...
>

>>I'm interested only in 68030-based machines, as powerful as
>>possible -- though my 16MHz 68030 Mac is plenty fast for work under
>>the Mac OS, I realize that an equivalent Amiga might be a bit
>>sluggish running UNIX, so I'd like to get a 25MHz or above,
>>perhaps with cache or a zero-wait-state (whatever that means)
>>memory subsystem.  What are the available high-end models?  Although
>>I've been told that the "fastest" Amiga is a model that is not the
>>high-end but enhanced with an accelerator, I don't know how well
>>this would work with Unix and such.
>
>At the moment, I'm running Unix on an Amiga 2500/030, which is the accelerated
>model that you're talking about, so the answer is, it works fine.

Does the Amiga Unix run on an Amiga 2500/020?  If so, how can I purchase
it?  I'm very interested in getting Unix for my 2500.

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan10.235458.1317@cai.uucp> nicks@cai.UUCP (Nick Smith) writes:

>Does the Amiga Unix run on an Amiga 2500/020?  If so, how can I purchase
>it?  I'm very interested in getting Unix for my 2500.

Yep. Sure does. Try turning off your machine, then, while holding down
both mouse buttons, turning it back on again.  (I assume that you already
have a A2620 board).

jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/14/91)

>Is Amiga UNIX going to be sufficiently solid to enable me to get
>GNU EMACS, GNU CC, and other GNU software up and running, and to

I've seen all of the above already running under Amiga Unix. According
to one German developer I talked to, gcc is in fact the compiler of
choice on that machine. For various political reasons they've been
trying to get the AT&T compiler to Do The Right Thing, but he said
a frequently heard phrase heard around Commodore (Germany) was
"What do you mean your program doesn't work? What compiler did you
use? /bin/cc?? Oh, well, that's your problem. Why didn't you use gcc?"
(liberally translated from the German, of course :-).

So the short answer is: Yes, the GNU tools have by-and-large already
been ported by Commodore. I hope that they release them with the machine,
but there are obviously no guarantees.

					Jordan
--
			PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com

giger@cbmehq.UUCP (Thomas Giger ESCO) (01/15/91)

In article <JKH.91Jan14062715@bambam.pcs.com> jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:
>>Is Amiga UNIX going to be sufficiently solid to enable me to get
>>GNU EMACS, GNU CC, and other GNU software up and running, and to
>
>I've seen all of the above already running under Amiga Unix. According
>to one German developer I talked to, gcc is in fact the compiler of
>choice on that machine. [...]
>"What do you mean your program doesn't work? What compiler did you
>use? /bin/cc?? Oh, well, that's your problem. Why didn't you use gcc?"

While I would encourage use of the GNU C compiler for its better speed
optimization, let me tell you that it really isn't that bad. Actually,
I would have been the one to say that quoted phrase above. But I'm
sure I didn't. In some cases I may have asked "Did you try the gcc
too?" - but that's a simple cross check everyone would do. For two
rather large porting projects the companies used /bin/cc without any
problems - all I had to help them was to find the right libraries
to link with (SVR4 introduced some new names they weren't used to).

It will be interesting to see a speed comparision between cc and gcc
when they re-do these ports with gcc.

rgds, Thomas.
--
Thomas Giger, Technical Support Manager
Commodore European Support & Coordination Office (ESCO)

jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) (05/05/91)

In article <777@amix.commodore.com> skrenta@amix.commodore.com (Rich Skrenta) writes:
>burley@geech.ai.mit.edu (Craig Burley) writes:
>> Is Amiga UNIX going to be sufficiently solid to enable me to get
>> GNU EMACS, GNU CC, and other GNU software up and running,
>
>Two C compilers are included with our release:  the standard cc as well
>as gcc.  Emacs as well as other public domain software including news, elm,
>rn, less, etc. are also included.  We felt that these utilities are useful
>and "standard" enough to warrant including on our release.  Source code for
>the public domain utilities is included in a separate archive on the release
>tape.

What about: trn, nn, xrn, flex, bison, bash, g++, jove, etc...?

--
Joseph Hillenburg
jph@irie.ais.org

skrenta@amix.commodore.com (Rich Skrenta) (05/05/91)

jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) writes:

> What about: trn, nn, xrn, flex, bison, bash, g++, jove, etc...?

None of the above are currently included.

flex, bison:	We have these (to build gcc) but they're not on the tape as
		of now.  Our desire is to provide the most utility in the
		least disk space, and these two overlap with yacc/lex.

		The biggest complaint I usually hear about yacc and lex is
		that they have fixed table sizes, but this isn't true in SVR4.

jove:		Isn't this yet another small emacs?

g++:		This would be nice.  If you've ported this to Amiga Unix
		let me know.

bash:		We already have three shells, and ksh gives you command line
		editing.

trn, nn, xrn:	More newsreaders than you can shake a stick at.

Rich
--
skrenta@amix.commodore.com