[comp.unix.amiga] A3000UX applications

mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew Pierce) (04/04/91)

I hear that the A3000UX is ABI compatible.  I heard that this gives
it binary compatibility with certain applications which also
conform to this standard, is this correct?  If so, is autocad ABI
compatible, and if so does that mean it will run on the A3000UX?
Could someone post a list of ABI applications that the A3000UX can
run, and anything else that it can run?

Matt Pierce

In article <1522@ewu.UUCP> mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew Pierce) writes:
>I hear that the A3000UX is ABI compatible.  I heard that this gives
>it binary compatibility with certain applications which also
>conform to this standard, is this correct?

	I believe 680x0 ABI programs should run on it, though I'm an AmigaDos
guy and don't know for sure.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

khh@root.co.uk (Keith Holder) (04/08/91)

In <1522@ewu.UUCP> mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew Pierce) writes:

>I hear that the A3000UX is ABI compatible.  I heard that this gives
>it binary compatibility with certain applications which also
>conform to this standard, is this correct?  If so, is autocad ABI

We have an Amiga in the office running Commodore's 1.1 version of System VR4
and I would say that it is not ABI compliant. We also have various other
68030 machines running V.4 from Motorola and binaries taken from these machines
and run on the Amiga box result in core dumps. Looking at various header files
on the Amiga and comparing them against the Motorola 68k ABI, I think that they
have quite a way to go before they are ABI compatible.

	keith holder.

Obviously, these are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of my
employers who just so happen to produce a version of V.4 for the Motorola 68k.
Keith Holder, Systems Software Consultant, UniSoft Ltd.
<khh@root.co.uk>	G1ITH	Fax:	(071) 729 3273
Phone:	+44 71 729 3773

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (04/09/91)

In article <1522@ewu.UUCP> mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew Pierce) writes:
>I hear that the A3000UX is ABI compatible.  I heard that this gives
>it binary compatibility with certain applications which also
>conform to this standard, is this correct?  If so, is autocad ABI
>compatible, and if so does that mean it will run on the A3000UX?

ABI can only specify compability among Unix on processors of
a certain family.  In this case only among 680x0 based Unix boxen.

I don't know of many in that family which are ABI, but there probably
are a few.  You will not (obviously?) be able to take 80386 ABI
binaries over to an Amiga Unix system and do anything useful
with them...

A possible reason for the rumor floating about last fall of
discussions 'tween Sun & C= is C= wanting Amiga Unix to be
able to run SunOS binaries.  *THAT* would be *useful* ...

ABI specifies the `numbers' for the system calls & what system
calls are there & what arguments they take & such.  I suppose it
also specifies things about shared libraries and who knows what else.

	David
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

In article <8823@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

>I don't know of many in that family which are ABI, but there probably
>are a few.  You will not (obviously?) be able to take 80386 ABI
>binaries over to an Amiga Unix system and do anything useful
>with them...

	BUT, under SVR4 all that is necessary to port the
program, from Sun for example, is a mere recompilation. Unless
the program does something very unusual, X makes for a useful
standard.

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (04/09/91)

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

> In article <1522@ewu.UUCP> mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew Pierce) writes:
> >I hear that the A3000UX is ABI compatible.  I heard that this gives
> >it binary compatibility with certain applications which also
> >conform to this standard, is this correct?  If so, is autocad ABI
> >compatible, and if so does that mean it will run on the A3000UX?
>
> ABI can only specify compability among Unix on processors of
> a certain family.  In this case only among 680x0 based Unix boxen.

To chip in with my $.02 worth . . . I asked the Autodesk rep at the National
Design Show in Chicago today if AutoCAD will support Unix SVr4 with the
MC68K ABI -- I specifically mentioned the HP/Apollo line, older Suns, and
(of course) the Amiga 300UX. His response was no -- Autodesk has no plans to
support unix workstations other than 386 Unix and SPARC unix, with both 386
and Sun IPC platforms being so "affordable."  Well, too bad for them!

Travis
P.S. read A3000UX -- dumb keys! ;-)

--
Travis Bissett                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

In article <2671@root44.co.uk> khh@root.co.uk (Keith Holder) writes:
>In <1522@ewu.UUCP> mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew Pierce) writes:
>
>>I hear that the A3000UX is ABI compatible.  I heard that this gives
>>it binary compatibility with certain applications which also
>>conform to this standard, is this correct?  If so, is autocad ABI

>We have an Amiga in the office running Commodore's 1.1 version of
>System VR4 and I would say that it is not ABI compliant. We also
>have various other 68030 machines running V.4 from Motorola and
>binaries taken from these machines and run on the Amiga box
>result in core dumps. Looking at various header files on the
>Amiga and comparing them against the Motorola 68k ABI, I think
>that they have quite a way to go before they are ABI compatible.

	There is some other problem because AMIX is ABI
compliant. Also, I don't seem to remember hearing about a version
1.1, just 1.0, although I could be wrong about that.

>	keith holder.
>
>Obviously, these are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of my
>employers who just so happen to produce a version of V.4 for the Motorola 68k.
>--
>--
>Keith Holder, Systems Software Consultant, UniSoft Ltd.
><khh@root.co.uk>	G1ITH	Fax:	(071) 729 3273
>Phone:	+44 71 729 3773

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) (04/10/91)

In <2671@root44.co.uk> khh@root.co.uk (Keith Holder) writes:

>We have an Amiga in the office running Commodore's 1.1 version of System VR4
>and I would say that it is not ABI compliant. We also have various other
>68030 machines running V.4 from Motorola and binaries taken from these machines
And EXACTLY which System V.4 ABI CERTIFIED operating systems are you
running, and on which platforms?  Since I have been unable to get information
on ANY OTHER such systems available commercially in the U.S. (and I have been
to more trade shows, and in more reps offices than I care to count), I
wonder where you got them, and when they were CERTIFIED.

>employers who just so happen to produce a version of V.4 for the Motorola 68k.

And YOURS is CERTIFIED ABI?  Your companies products are consistantly
incompatible, even within an AT&T release version.  Thank (fill in blank)
that C= had more sense than to use YOU.  More often than not, I've cursed
Unisoft for putting out what I consider ABSOLUTE JUNK releases of V.3.

>Keith Holder, Systems Software Consultant, UniSoft Ltd.

It is possible that C= slipped up, and that the Amiga distribution of UNIX
is not ABI compliant, or that 2.0 will be cleaned up as a planned product.
However, unless you can document your statement, SHUT the #$#^%$# UP!

Dan Taylor
/* My opinions, not NCR's. */

ajc@root.co.uk (Tony Cleverley) (04/10/91)

In <1991Apr9.063955.12000@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>In article <2671@root44.co.uk> khh@root.co.uk (Keith Holder) writes:

>>We have an Amiga in the office running Commodore's 1.1 version of
>>System VR4 and I would say that it is not ABI compliant. We also
>>have various other 68030 machines running V.4 from Motorola and
>>binaries taken from these machines and run on the Amiga box
>>result in core dumps. Looking at various header files on the
>>Amiga and comparing them against the Motorola 68k ABI, I think
>>that they have quite a way to go before they are ABI compatible.

>	There is some other problem because AMIX is ABI
>compliant.

I think you are wrong as far as I can see the AMIGA 3000 UX is not compliant,
for example:

The current ABI defines the structure sigaction (see sys/signal.h)
to be:

	struct sigaction {
		void (*sa_handler)();
		sigset_t sa_mask;
		int sa_flags;
	}

yet the AMIGA defines it as:

	struct sigaction {
		int sa_flags;
		void (*sa_handler)();
		sigset_t sa_mask;
		int sa_resv[2];
	}

Also the online manual page for sigaction on the AMIGA states:

	The sigaction structure includes the following members:

		void		(*sa_handler)();
		sigset_t	sa_mask;
		int		sa_flags;

There is no mention of int sa_resv[2];

>Also, I don't seem to remember hearing about a version
>1.1, just 1.0, although I could be wrong about that.

On the AMIGA we have here, uname -a gives

	UNIX_Sytem_V localhost 4.0 1.1 Amiga m68020

This could be wrong though as the sytem here has a m68030 running at 25MHz.

Tony Cleverley

Obviously, these are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of my
employers who just so happen to produce a version of V.4 for the Motorola 68k.
Tony Cleverley, Systems Engineer, UniSoft Ltd.
<ajc@root.co.uk>	G1ITH	Fax:	(071) 729 3273
Phone:	+44 71 729 3773

dfields@radium.urbana.mcd.mot.com (David Fields) (04/11/91)

In article <8823@gollum.twg.com>, david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
|>ABI specifies the `numbers' for the system calls & what system
|>calls are there & what arguments they take & such.  I suppose it
|>also specifies things about shared libraries and who knows what else.

Well not really.  The ABI is split into a generic section and an
architecture specific section.  It specifies among other things,
application packaging and installation, call return sequences,
the memory map for a process and header file information neccessary
for compatability between different vendors shared libraries.

An ABI application must be dynamically linked with a subset of
libc reffered to as libsys.  Libsys contains all of the system
calls available to ABI compliant program.  In other words,
an ABI compliant program cannot contain a direct system call
which means neither system call numbers nor even mechanisms
need be the same on ABI compliant systems.

The ABI's are a great idea but do require alot of work by
the respective companies to find and fix compatability problems.
This can be seen by the amount of work being but into the
88k ABI effort via 88open and it's members.

Dave Fields // Motorola Computer Group // dfields@urbana.mcd.mot.com

khh@root.co.uk (Keith Holder) (04/11/91)

In <889@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM> dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) writes:

>And EXACTLY which System V.4 ABI CERTIFIED operating systems are you
>running, and on which platforms?  Since I have been unable to get information
>on ANY OTHER such systems available commercially in the U.S. (and I have been
>to more trade shows, and in more reps offices than I care to count), I
>wonder where you got them, and when they were CERTIFIED.

      UniSoft not only wrote the AT&T System VR4 68k/88k product, they also
developed the gABI test suite for AT&T, so maybe we have much more of an idea
of what is ABI compliant and what is not.
	Also you don't need to be a genius to compare the header files on the
Amiga box and what is specified in the Motorola 68k ABI and  spot
inconsistencies in data structures.
	Plus, I am not aware of an ABI certification procedure that is in place
for any VR4 release on any processor architecture.

>>employers who just so happen to produce a version of V.4 for the Motorola 68k.

>And YOURS is CERTIFIED ABI?  Your companies products are consistantly
>incompatible, even within an AT&T release version.  Thank (fill in blank)

	I don't remember saying that our product was certified as ABI compliant,
however, I do remember saying that the Amiga UNIX , IMHO, was not ABI compliant.
I could also prove it by indicating which header files on the Amiga system that
we have are incompatible with the ABI specification.
	I also know that we have followed the  68k ABI as much as humanly
possible, even when the goal-posts have been moved.

>that C= had more sense than to use YOU.  More often than not, I've cursed
>Unisoft for putting out what I consider ABSOLUTE JUNK releases of V.3.

    Oh yeah, have you certified evidence that they were junk? And by the way
since we are getting personal here, I have never considered NCR's release of
UNIX that wonderful either.

>It is possible that C= slipped up, and that the Amiga distribution of UNIX
>is not ABI compliant, or that 2.0 will be cleaned up as a planned product.

	Really? No shit, Sherlock!

>However, unless you can document your statement, SHUT the #$#^%$# UP!

	Why should I? I was only offering my humble opinion to a question on
whether Amiga Unix was ABI compatible. All you have done is air your grievances
about past UniSoft products. Just because you have an axe to grind with UniSoft,
( did they turn down a job application? ) you seem to think that their employees
have no right to express an opinion on the net. So, until you can provide
documentary evidence that Amiga Unix is ABI compatible maybe you should shut
the f**k up! B-).

swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) (04/13/91)

khh> In <889@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM> dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan
khh> Taylor) writes:

>And EXACTLY which System V.4 ABI CERTIFIED operating systems are you
>running, and on which platforms?  Since I have been unable to get
>information on ANY OTHER such systems available commercially in the
>U.S. (and I have been to more trade shows, and in more reps offices
>than I care to count), I wonder where you got them, and when they
>were CERTIFIED.

khh>       UniSoft not only wrote the AT&T System VR4 68k/88k product,
khh> they also developed the gABI test suite for AT&T, so maybe we
khh> have much more of an idea of what is ABI compliant and what is
khh> not.  	Also you don't need to be a genius to compare the
khh> header files on the Amiga box and what is specified in the
khh> Motorola 68k ABI and spot inconsistencies in data structures.
khh> Plus, I am not aware of an ABI certification procedure that is in
khh> place for any VR4 release on any processor architecture.

[deleted drivel]

khh> 	Really? No shit, Sherlock!

>However, unless you can document your statement, SHUT the #$#^%$# UP!

khh> 	Why should I? I was only offering my humble opinion to a
khh> question on whether Amiga Unix was ABI compatible. All you have
khh> done is air your grievances about past UniSoft products. Just
khh> because you have an axe to grind with UniSoft, ( did they turn
khh> down a job application? ) you seem to think that their employees
khh> have no right to express an opinion on the net. So, until you can
khh> provide documentary evidence that Amiga Unix is ABI compatible
khh> maybe you should shut the f**k up! B-).

Do we really need the low S/N of this little trade war (NCR vs.
UniSoft) here on c.u.a?

Why don't you both put your axes away and shake hands (or at least go
to seperate corners).  This should really be continued via e-mail
between you too if you feel more "discussion" etc. are necessary.

	-Chris

--
Chris Swanson, Chem/CS/Pre-med Undergrad, St. Olaf College, Northfield,MN 55057
 DDN: (CDS6)   INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu  UUCP: uunet!stolaf!swansonc

khh> Taylor) writes:

>And EXACTLY which System V.4 ABI CERTIFIED operating systems are you
>running, and on which platforms?  Since I have been unable to get
>information on ANY OTHER such systems available commercially in the
>U.S. (and I have been to more trade shows, and in more reps offices
>than I care to count), I wonder where you got them, and when they
>were CERTIFIED.

khh>       UniSoft not only wrote the AT&T System VR4 68k/88k product,
khh> they also developed the gABI test suite for AT&T, so maybe we
khh> have much more of an idea of what is ABI compliant and what is
khh> not.  	Also you don't need to be a genius to compare the
khh> header files on the Amiga box and what is specified in the
khh> Motorola 68k ABI and spot inconsistencies in data structures.
khh> Plus, I am not aware of an ABI certification procedure that is in
khh> place for any VR4 release on any processor architecture.

[deleted drivel]

khh> 	Really? No shit, Sherlock!

>However, unless you can document your statement, SHUT the #$#^%$# UP!

khh> 	Why should I? I was only offering my humble opinion to a
khh> question on whether Amiga Unix was ABI compatible. All you have
khh> done is air your grievances about past UniSoft products. Just
khh> because you have an axe to grind with UniSoft, ( did they turn
khh> down a job application? ) you seem to think that their employees
khh> have no right to express an opinion on the net. So, until you can
khh> provide documentary evidence that Amiga Unix is ABI compatible
khh> maybe you should shut the f**k up! B-).

Do we really need the low S/N of this little trade war (NCR vs.
UniSoft) here on c.u.a?

Why don't you both put your axes away and shake hands (or at least go
to seperate corners).  This should really be continued via e-mail
between you too if you feel more "discussion" etc. is necessary.

	-Chris

--
Chris Swanson, Chem/CS/Pre-med Undergrad, St. Olaf College, Northfield,MN 55057
 DDN: (CDS6)   INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu  UUCP: uunet!stolaf!swansonc
  AT&T:		Work: (507)-645-4528			Home: (507)-663-6424
	I would deny this reality, but that wouldn't pay the bills...

cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) (04/13/91)

Keith,
Maybe the two of you should calm down a little bit! Geez!  Hold on, I'll get
a spare pair of my boxing gloves and we'll make some wagers....

Anyway, the only information I can offer is that the magazine
advertisement did say that the 3000/ux was abi compliant.

Chad

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) (04/16/91)

First, an apology to Keith, and the net:

I shouldn't have reacted so strongly to Keith's original posting. I
apologize.

In <2675@root44.co.uk> khh@root.co.uk (Keith Holder) writes:

>      UniSoft not only wrote the AT&T System VR4 68k/88k product, they also
>developed the gABI test suite for AT&T, so maybe we have much more of an idea
>of what is ABI compliant and what is not.

What AT&T System VR4 68k product?

>	Also you don't need to be a genius to compare the header files on the
>Amiga box and what is specified in the Motorola 68k ABI and  spot
>inconsistencies in data structures.

Your original posting said "core dumps".  If you run a non-compliant program
from platform "A" on platform "B", and they don't use the same load addresses,
trap vector to the system, or system call interface, it will probably core
dump.  So, unless you run a compliant program, and it core dumps, you have
no complaint.  You didn't say you did that.  You COULD have even posted
that it dumped because it "used the wrong vector", or whatever.

The ABI was purposely kept loose, to permit non-compliant software to
continue to run on its original platform, on as many platforms as possible.
So "running programs from different systems" is meaningless, unless each
of those programs is known to be compliant.

>I could also prove it by indicating which header files on the Amiga system that
>we have are incompatible with the ABI specification.

Then why didn't you?

>	Why should I? I was only offering my humble opinion to a question on
>whether Amiga Unix was ABI compatible.

No, you offered an "authoritative statement", no qualifiers, no documentation.
That is not constructive, for anyone, but sounds like "advertising", especially
when you talk about Unisoft "providing a System V".  I HATE advertising on
the net.  However, I was too strong.

>( did they turn down a job application? )

It would never have entered my mind to apply.  I have worked in UNIX (kernel
and apps) for a decade, at least.  But I've not worked in Europe in that
capacity.  If Unisoft has/had a Left Coast, USofA, office, I've not
bothered to look for it.

>So, until you can provide
>documentary evidence that Amiga Unix is ABI compatible maybe you should shut
>the f**k up! B-).

>Keith Holder, Systems Software Consultant, UniSoft Ltd.

I provided as much evidence that it was as you did against, in your original
posting.  You made an unsupported, at the time, statement that C='s UNIX
was not ABI-compliant.  Had you provided ANY documentation, then I would
not have complained.  One of the purposes of these groups is education.  If
you're going to complain about something, document the complaint.  If a
header is bad, list the offense.  If a binary crashes, get out your favorite
debugger, and say where.  My real complaint with your posting was that you
just "flamed" C=.  That's why I "demanded" some backup documentation, or
silence.

Also, it may be that you have out-of-date code.  Have you reported the
problem to C=?  If they have already fixed this, then there IS no problem.

I would have to get back to several-year-old history files to find my
exact complaints against Unisoft ports.  I should not have brought up
my prior dissatisfactions without documentation, any more than you should
have posted without it.  It may be that since I last used one, new, or
more experienced people, are doing the job, and those problems no longer
exist.

I had nothing to do with NCR's UNIX in the past, and am a consultant here.
That's why the disclaimer exists.

Dan Taylor
* My opinions, not NCR's. *

ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (05/14/91)

Now that the flame fest has died down for a while, I'll try to explain
the issue of ABI compatibility and Amiga Unix.

Amiga Unix is advertised as being ABI compatible.  That is, we
"guarantee" that you can take an ABI compatible binary program and run
it on an Amiga Unix system.  We also provide software development
tools that are intended to create ABI compatible binary programs, and
we actively persue and resolve any complaints or claims of ABI
incompatibility regarding any part of our system.  We have not and
will not intentionally cause Amiga Unix to be incompatible with the
m68k ABI.

At the present time, however, it is somewhat difficult to determine
exactly what is the "official" ABI.  For example, several changes have
been made by Motorola since the "blue book" m68k ABI manual was
published by AT&T/Unix Press.  There are other issues and proposed
changes still being resolved that will almost certainly change the ABI
further.  Because of this fact, we have not yet conducted an
exhaustive study verifying compatibility between Amiga Unix and any
particular revision of the m68k ABI.

We intend to persue the ABI issue with Motorola, USL, and other
parties interested in the m68k ABI.  When the "final" m68k ABI exists,
Amiga Unix will be compatible with it.  Hopefully this will be in time
for our version 2.0.

ajc@root.co.uk (Tony Cleverley) writes:
> I think you are wrong as far as I can see the AMIGA 3000 UX is not compliant,
> for example:
>
> The current ABI defines the structure sigaction (see sys/signal.h)
> to be:
>
> 	struct sigaction {
> 		void (*sa_handler)();
> 		sigset_t sa_mask;
> 		int sa_flags;
> 	}
>
> yet the AMIGA defines it as:
>
> 	struct sigaction {
> 		int sa_flags;
> 		void (*sa_handler)();
> 		sigset_t sa_mask;
> 		int sa_resv[2];
> 	}

This particular header file in Amiga Unix comes directly from the
group in Motorola which maintains the official ABI specification.  It
turns out that there was a mistake and that this structure is in fact
incorrect.  This is a significant incompatilibity and essentially
means that Amiga Unix version 1.1 is not able to run most ABI
programs.  It, along with any other known ABI incompatibilities, will
be fixed in a future version of Amiga Unix.

					-=] Ford [=-

"The heart and the mind on		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 a parallel course, never		ford@amix.commodore.com
 the two shall meet."			uunet!cbmvax!ditto
 -- Indigo Girls			ford@kenobi.commodore.com