[comp.unix.amiga] X-Windows

avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed) (05/23/91)

Is there some way to easily replace the olwn/olswm window manager
on the standard 3000UX with some other window management scheme ?

After using the Motif one (mwm) and twm on other platforms, the
olwm looked rather third rank and a quick hack type program.

A question to the commodore hierachy, how long does it take for
a 3000UX to be delivered once ordered ?  A friend of mine was
told it would be in sevral weeks ago.  He has now canceled his
order since he gave up waiting.  Is this just the fault of
commodore Australia (Melbourne Branch in particular) or are
shipments just generally back logged for some reason ? (high
demand perhaps ? :)

-darren

c8927218@wombat.newcastle.edu.au (05/24/91)

In article <avalon.675008012@coombs>, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed) writes:
> Is there some way to easily replace the olwn/olswm window manager
> on the standard 3000UX with some other window management scheme ?
>
> After using the Motif one (mwm) and twm on other platforms, the
> olwm looked rather third rank and a quick hack type program.
>
> A question to the commodore hierachy, how long does it take for
> a 3000UX to be delivered once ordered ?  A friend of mine was
> told it would be in sevral weeks ago.  He has now canceled his
> order since he gave up waiting.  Is this just the fault of
> commodore Australia (Melbourne Branch in particular) or are
> shipments just generally back logged for some reason ? (high
> demand perhaps ? :)
>
> -darren

I can tell you that I got mine 7 days after I ordered it (as promised)
from Commodore Sydney....and was most impressed.

Robert Lang.

ahh@moji.uucp (Andy Heffernan) (05/26/91)

In article <avalon.675008012@coombs> avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed) writes:
>Is there some way to easily replace the olwn/olswm window manager
>on the standard 3000UX with some other window management scheme ?
>
>After using the Motif one (mwm) and twm on other platforms, the
>olwm looked rather third rank and a quick hack type program.

It's actually very easy -- right now I'm running twm (Tom's window manager)
from volume 1 of comp.sources.x.  For awhile there I wasn't running any
window manager at all, but I missed the ability to shuffle windows around.
twm let's me do that with a minimum amount of window doo-dads to chew up
what limited screen real estate I've got.

At the end of my ~/.profile I have:
	xinit -geometry +10+10 +sb -title ahh-xterm -n ahh-xterm -display unix:0

In the file ~/.xinitrc I have:
	twm &
	xbiff -geometry -10+110 &
	xlogo -geometry -10-10 &
	xphoon -t 60 &

The most difficult part is getting sources to whatever window manager
you want to use.

--
$BJ8;z(J		Andy Heffernan
This is Unix ( )-	ahh@moji.uucp (uunet!glyph!moji!ahh)

rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) (05/27/91)

In article <avalon.675008012@coombs> avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed) writes:
>Is there some way to easily replace the olwn/olswm window manager
>on the standard 3000UX with some other window management scheme ?

	I managed to dredge up a R3 twm, wasn't easy finding it either,
	everyones gone on to R4... xterm has been mutated into an OL
	bastardization of xterm so it's a little anti-social with twm but
	the combo does work. Compiled right up too. I chucked olwm about
	5 minutes after twm got compiled... One trick tho:
	xinit /usr/bin/X/twm -- nologo v
	Is the line I use to start it up rather than the R4
	xinit .xinitrc --
	I use at work.

	If you can find R3 twm it will compile and run on 1.1 UNIX.

		-Rob
--

Rob Healey                                          rhealey@digibd.com
Digi International (DigiBoard)

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May26.205441.20304@digibd.com> rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
>In article <avalon.675008012@coombs> avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed) writes:
>>Is there some way to easily replace the olwn/olswm window manager
>>on the standard 3000UX with some other window management scheme ?
>>

>	If you can find R3 twm it will compile and run on 1.1 UNIX.

Has anybody tried to see if tvtwm works yet??  It has virtual screens on it
and it would be great if I could use it, since my monitor is only 12". :(

	Sri
	aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu