[comp.unix.amiga] UNIX

Mario_Capellari@turtle.stgt.sub.org (Mario Capellari) (05/17/91)

Ist there any Shareware or Public Domain Version of UNIX avaible for the
Amiga?

I know that some people would laugh, and also I`ve never heard about it, but
who kows it, if nobodys asks???

so long,

-- Via DLG Pro v.96 Beta

mario capellari                    |  BBS`s for Amiga  greetings....
7000 Stuttgart 1                   |  ++49 711 6407689     the
FRG                                |  ++49 711 6498429 TurtleSystems
UseNet:!aragon!tyrell!turtle!mario |  24H a day

s8922967@ipc02.tmc.edu (Murray John GILBERT) (05/20/91)

In article <Mario_Capellari.3450@turtle.stgt.sub.org> Mario_Capellari@turtle.stgt.sub.org (Mario Capellari) writes:
>Ist there any Shareware or Public Domain Version of UNIX avaible for the
>Amiga?

You could try minix (by Andy Tanenbaum) availiable from Prentice Hall for
$169 I think. No official support for Hard drives (Amiga MINIX) though there are some
PD ones ? I haven't used Amiga Minix, but I have used IBM minix on 286s
and 386s, its ok I suppose for the UNIX experience and learning OS stuff
and runs quite nicely, but you really need a harddrive to use it well
if not then you need lots of memory so you can put you most commonly
used commands in ram. Changing bits of the Minix Kernel for our comp327
assignment was a real pain if you could only get hold of a 2MB machine
in the lab, It was great when you could get one of the 33MHz 8MB 386
clones.
Another thing IBMminix is all text unless you get the MINI-X graphics thingo
from someone in Canberra, Australia (forget his name and email). MINI-X
requires a 386 though, I don't have a clue about its compatability with/
transformability to Amiga Minix.

Have a look on comp.os.minix for more inf

ormation

adios,
	Murray

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (05/21/91)

In article <Mario_Capellari.3450@turtle.stgt.sub.org> Mario_Capellari@turtle.stgt.sub.org (Mario Capellari) writes:
>Ist there any Shareware or Public Domain Version of UNIX avaible for the
>Amiga?
>
>I know that some people would laugh, and also I`ve never heard about it, but
>who kows it, if nobodys asks???
>
>so long,
>
>-- Via DLG Pro v.96 Beta
>
>mario capellari		    |  BBS`s for Amiga  greetings....
>7000 Stuttgart 1		    |  ++49 711 6407689     the
>FRG				    |  ++49 711 6498429 TurtleSystems
>UseNet:!aragon!tyrell!turtle!mario |  24H a day

    Not really, yet.  However, there are three major moves towards a 100%
    freeware UNIX.

    (1) MACH, from Carnegie Mellon (forgive me if I got the spelling wrong).

	Currently the kernel core is freely available.	No complete
	device drivers or UNIX command utilities that I know of yet,
	though.

    (2) GNU

	GNU is, I believe, working on a UNIX based on Mach.  GNU already
	has many freely available UNIX utilities online including their C
	compiler, GCC.

    (3) BSD

	Berkeley is making a move to remove all AT&T code from BSD UNIX,
	perhaps for 4.4 (?) I don't know.  They have already released
	several berkeley utilities as freeware.  They may be basing either
	4.4 or the one after on a Mach III core but I am not sure of that.

    I believe the best bet will be BSD.  Current rumor puts it at about a
    year away.	You can *bet* that the moment they release it I will begin
    to port it to the Amiga.  BSD has always been a much cleaner
    implementation of UNIX than Sys VR4.  The current limitations, those
    relating to VM management (no shared memory or file mapping) should be
    removed by 4.4, I have heard they are redoing the entire VM subsystem.

					    -Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon

In article <906@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> s8922967@ipc02.tmc.edu (Murray John GILBERT) writes:
>You could try minix (by Andy Tanenbaum) availiable from Prentice Hall for
>$169 I think. No official support for Hard drives (Amiga MINIX) though there
> are some
>PD ones ?

	Some people at cs.vu.nl have A590/A2091 drivers running and available
(beta?)  A3000 will be along, I believe they have it running now.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

sck@watson.ibm.com (Scott C. Kennedy) (05/22/91)

In article <21747@cbmvax.commodore.com>, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
|> In article <906@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> s8922967@ipc02.tmc.edu (Murray John GILBERT) writes:
|> >You could try minix (by Andy Tanenbaum) availiable from Prentice Hall for
|> >$169 I think. No official support for Hard drives (Amiga MINIX) though there
|>
|> 	Some people at cs.vu.nl have A590/A2091 drivers running and available
|> --

   Which people have these? I really want to use MINIX on my 2500 and I have
the 2091. Where is the software found? Who has it?
Scott C. Kennedy (sck@watson.ibm.com)     | "All we are saying ...
Distributed High Performance Computing    |  is give peace a chance..."
I.B.M. Thomas J. Watson Research Facility | John Lennon - Dec. 8, 1980

jmw@sdchemg (John M. Wright) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.172327.11881@watson.ibm.com> sck@biko.watson.ibm.com (Scott C. Kennedy) writes:
>In article <21747@cbmvax.commodore.com>, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>|>
>|> 	Some people at cs.vu.nl have A590/A2091 drivers running and available
>|> --
>   Which people have these? I really want to use MINIX on my 2500 and I have
>the 2091. Where is the software found? Who has it?
>--

To answer your question, I am posting the following from comp.os.minix
(I suggest you check out comp.os.minix if you are interested in minix; much
lower volume than the various ami groups, so not difficult!  For some reason,
almost no amiga minix material gets posted to comp.unix.amiga.  The amiga
minix has come a long way since it appeared;  it runs on 68020/68030 systems,
supports at least one hard drive interface (the A590/A2091), and the filesystem
on floppys is stable (none of these were true of the original release!,
at least on 2000's!)

]From: sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz)
]Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
]Subject: Re: WHAT AMIGA HARD DRIVES ARE SUPPORTED UNDER MINIX!!!???
]Date: 27 Mar 91 12:45:46 GMT

]jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:

]]Well.. I hear that there is no *OFFICIAL* HD support for
]]Minix, and the only thing keeping me from buying it
]]is a HD patch for my Trumpcard...
]]Is it supported? If not, what *ARE*??

]Eh, nope. The Commodore A590, with SCSI and/or XT disks connected, is
]supported. The Commodore A2091 hd controller and the A3000's harddisk
]may be supported as well. I'm saying it that careful because I'm not
](yet) sure how well our most recent version of minix works with those
]controllers.

]	Steven

]PS. Our most recent version can be ftp-ed from ftp.cs.vu.nl [130.37.24.6],
]directory /pub/sreiz/minix.

This is a beta version, and does not yet include diffs for the source
code, but Reiz and company are reported to be working hard to whip it
into shape for full release.  I have a trumpcard, not a 2091, so I can't
address how the hard drive support works, but it runs fine on my B2000
with A2620 board.

   John Wright	Chemistry, MS 0314, UCSD, La Jolla,  CA 92093-0314
		jmw@chem.ucsd.edu  jwright@ucsd   (619) 534-3049

etj90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Khaos) (05/23/91)

In article <dillon.7891@overload.Berkeley.CA.US>, dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>     I believe the best bet will be BSD.  Current rumor puts it at about a
>     year away.	You can *bet* that the moment they release it I will begin
>     to port it to the Amiga.  BSD has always been a much cleaner
> 					    -Matt

Go for it Matt !!

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (05/25/91)

In article <7781@ecs.soton.ac.uk> etj90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Khaos) writes:
]
]In article <dillon.7891@overload.Berkeley.CA.US>, dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
]>     I believe the best bet will be BSD.  Current rumor puts it at about a
]>     year away.	You can *bet* that the moment they release it I will begin
]>     to port it to the Amiga.  BSD has always been a much cleaner
]> 					    -Matt
]
]Go for it Matt !!

But is the world ready for Dnix?   ;^)

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__

mmm@reaper.Chi.IL.US (Michael Marvin Morrison) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.181753.21958@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <7781@ecs.soton.ac.uk> etj90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Khaos) writes:
>]
>]In article <dillon.7891@overload.Berkeley.CA.US>, dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>]>     I believe the best bet will be BSD.  Current rumor puts it at about a
>]>     year away.	You can *bet* that the moment they release it I will begin
>]>     to port it to the Amiga.  BSD has always been a much cleaner
>]> 					    -Matt
>]
>]Go for it Matt !!
>
>But is the world ready for Dnix?   ;^)
>
>            _.
>--Steve   ._||__
>  Warren   v\ *|

I don't know whether it would be Dnix, DUnix, DAmix, or DBSD.  What scares me
is if Matt keeps with his tradition, we would have 'dls' 'dgrep' 'dgcc' and
the ever popular 'dddcp' (Dunix to Dunix DCP).  And don't forget 'DX11R4',
dsockets, DCP/IP, and your DInterNet..  People will go home saying 'Turn on
the Dtv honey', and 'my Dcar isn't working'.  Maybe we can also look forward
to a DVMS..

:-) :-)

--
Michael M Morrison              /|                             |\
mmm@reaper.chi.il.us <or>      | |     Cold DSteel on DIce     | |

rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) (05/27/91)

In article <7781@ecs.soton.ac.uk> etj90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Khaos) writes:
>In article <dillon.7891@overload.Berkeley.CA.US>, dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>>     I believe the best bet will be BSD.  Current rumor puts it at about a
>>     year away. You can *bet* that the moment they release it I will begin
>>     to port it to the Amiga.  BSD has always been a much cleaner
>> 					    -Matt

	Ummm, I don't know about BSD being CLEANER, just first... I
	think non-english speaking UNIX people might have a problem
	with BSD as well. And it would take a REAL good argument to
	convince me that BSD sockets and Co. is cleaner than STREAMS
	and TLI or as flexible when it comes to code using multiple
	network types dynamically without recompilation.

	I grant youthat MOST network code is written to the BSD socket
	model and has a bent toward BSD OS model because BSD had
	good OS extentions before SV. I think it's QUITE a bit of a stretch
	to call BSD cleaner than R4 tho.

	Flames and religeous wars to e-mail, c.u.a doesn't need
	religous wars filling it's bandwidth...

		-Rob
--

Rob Healey                                          rhealey@digibd.com
Digi International (DigiBoard)

bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) (05/27/91)

In <1991May24.181753.21958@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>But is the world ready for Dnix?   ;^)

After 15 years, it should be :-)
--
Bernd Felsche,                 _--_|\   #include <std/disclaimer.h>
Metapro Systems,              / sale \  Fax:   +61 9 472 3337

1013734@hydra.maths.unsw.OZ.AU (05/28/91)

In article <1991May24.181753.21958@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <7781@ecs.soton.ac.uk> etj90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Khaos) writes:
>]
>]In article <dillon.7891@overload.Berkeley.CA.US>, dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>]>     I believe the best bet will be BSD.  Current rumor puts it at about a
>]>     year away.	You can *bet* that the moment they release it I will begin
>]>     to port it to the Amiga.  BSD has always been a much cleaner
>]> 					    -Matt
>]
>]Go for it Matt !!
>
>But is the world ready for Dnix?   ;^)

Yes!! I am pretty sure that, we, the world are ready for Dnix. After all it
is better than NoNIX :-)

Sheehs, you don't know how long I've been waiting for UNIX that wouldn't
cost me an arm and a leg and still work with goodies like the 68030 and a
hard drive.

				Go Matt, go,    Peter Urbanec

				 1013734@hydra.maths.unsw.oz.au
				s1013734@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au

		---- The only sin is stupidity. ----

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May24.181753.21958@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <7781@ecs.soton.ac.uk> etj90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Khaos) writes:
>]
>]In article <dillon.7891@overload.Berkeley.CA.US>, dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>]>	I believe the best bet will be BSD.  Current rumor puts it at about a
>]>	year away.	You can *bet* that the moment they release it I will begin
>]>	to port it to the Amiga.  BSD has always been a much cleaner
>]>					    -Matt
>]
>]Go for it Matt !!
>
>But is the world ready for Dnix?   ;^)
>
>--
>	     _.
>--Steve   ._||__
>  Warren   v\ *|

    I was thinking 'dux'       :-)

				-Matt
--

In article <1991May26.212136.20643@digibd.com> rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
>In article <7781@ecs.soton.ac.uk> etj90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Khaos) writes:
>>In article <dillon.7891@overload.Berkeley.CA.US>, dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>>>	I believe the best bet will be BSD.  Current rumor puts it at about a
>>>	year away. You can *bet* that the moment they release it I will begin
>>>	to port it to the Amiga.  BSD has always been a much cleaner
>>>					    -Matt
>
>	Ummm, I don't know about BSD being CLEANER, just first... I
>	think non-english speaking UNIX people might have a problem
>	with BSD as well. And it would take a REAL good argument to
>	convince me that BSD sockets and Co. is cleaner than STREAMS
>	and TLI or as flexible when it comes to code using multiple
>	network types dynamically without recompilation.
>
>	I grant youthat MOST network code is written to the BSD socket
>	model and has a bent toward BSD OS model because BSD had
>	good OS extentions before SV. I think it's QUITE a bit of a stretch
>	to call BSD cleaner than R4 tho.
>
>	Flames and religeous wars to e-mail, c.u.a doesn't need
>	religous wars filling it's bandwidth...
>
>		-Rob

    Hm.. well, note that I never said BSD was better, just cleaner.  From
    what I hear on this group, AT&T *really* rushed R4.  I am *not* a Sys
    VR4 user myself, my impressions are gained from conversations. However,
    I did hack at the BSD kernel while at Berkeley (as well as write tons
    of user level stuff).

    The only two major items that BSD lacks are intelligent device control
    (i.e. filesystem-mapped in a meaningful way) and shared memory.  Other
    items such as semaphores & signalling are also lacking but not quite as
    important.

    The socket stuff is not so difficult as all that, just a bit
    overblown... they created interface calls with an order of magnitude
    too much flexibility which tends to require a lot of work to get right.

    One assumes that 4.4 will address these issues.

    As far as language problems go, while I agree that internationalization
    is becomming a greater necessity these days, I do not believe that it
    is an kernel core issue, but more a systems level issue (e.g. shared
    library of terms, ...)

					-Matt

--

alexk@otc.otca.oz.au (Alex Kowalenko) (05/30/91)

|> I don't know whether it would be Dnix, DUnix, DAmix, or DBSD.  What scares me
|> is if Matt keeps with his tradition, we would have 'dls' 'dgrep' 'dgcc' and
|> the ever popular 'dddcp' (Dunix to Dunix DCP).  And don't forget 'DX11R4',
|> dsockets, DCP/IP, and your DInterNet..  People will go home saying 'Turn on
|> the Dtv honey', and 'my Dcar isn't working'.  Maybe we can also look forward
|> to a DVMS..

|>Michael M Morrison              /|                             |\
|>mmm@reaper.chi.il.us <or>      | |     Cold DSteel on DIce     | |
|>reaper!mmm@miroc.chi.il.us

It's here now! Look at FSF - GNU - gcc and GCC++, gdbm, gtroff, ghostscript. gas, gawk, gdb,
and real soon now GUnix.  Then all the other items g68040, gsparc, gcolour-gmonitor, gworkstation, gporcshe, ghouse. gAnd gof gcourse gall gwill gbe gprovided gfor gfree gand gftp-able gfrom glocal gsite gnear gyou.

--

    Alex Kowalenko                 ACSnet: alexk@otc.otca.oz
    R&D Contractor                   UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!otc.otca.oz!alexk
                                    Phone: +6 2 287 3131
                                    Snail: GPO Box 7000, Sydney 2001, Australia

greg@pfloyd.lonestar.org (Greg Harp) (05/31/91)

In article <dillon.8073@overload.Berkeley.CA.US> dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>In article <1991May24.181753.21958@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>>
>>But is the world ready for Dnix?   ;^)
>
>    I was thinking 'dux'       :-)

Ask Dan Wallach for an idea, Matt.  ;-)

Or how about D/UX?  :)  (putting on asbestos underwear...)
--
greg@pfloyd.lonestar.org----greg@pfloyd.UUCP----convex!egsner!pfloyd!greg
copy protection: n. A class of clever methods for preventing incompetent

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (06/01/91)

In article <greg.0483@pfloyd.lonestar.org> greg@pfloyd.lonestar.org (Greg Harp) writes:
>In article <dillon.8073@overload.Berkeley.CA.US> dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>>In article <1991May24.181753.21958@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>>>
>>>But is the world ready for Dnix?   ;^)
>>
>>    I was thinking 'dux'       :-)
>
>Ask Dan Wallach for an idea, Matt.  ;-)
>
>Or how about D/UX?  :)  (putting on asbestos underwear...)

    Don't like D/UX, it sounds too much like A/UX (the yucky apple unix).
    DUX is good not only because it starts with a D and ends in UX, but
    also because it starts with a D and sounds like DUCK (as in a plural
    Dale).

    :-) 		    -Matt

--

dwallach@soda.berkeley.edu (Dan Wallach) (06/05/91)

>>>But is the world ready for Dnix?   ;^)
>>
>>    I was thinking 'dux'       :-)
>
>Ask Dan Wallach for an idea, Matt.  ;-)

(well, as long as you asked :-)

How about Sys Dr4?

Or, AMDUL - A Matt Dillon Unix Look-alike? (suppose Amdahl would mind?)

Well, we really need something that matches /[A-Z]e[A-Z][A-Z]/
(after all, NeWS and NeXT look just SO trendy :-)
This leads to:

DeAU - Dillon's (most) Excellent Amiga Unix
DeAD - Dillon's Extremely Awesome Dos
	(added bonus: users are DeAD Heads!)

but, probably the one that would stick:

DuDE - Dillon's Unix Does Everything

Dan Wallach
dwallach@soda.berkeley.edu

"Hey, man, what are you running on that computer?"

"Dude, man.  DuDE."

"Coolness."