[comp.unix.amiga] Recall previous commands at a single keystroke

perretg@cernvax.cern.ch (denis perret-gallix) (06/04/91)

I Miss A Very Useful Feature Found On Many Unix-Like Shell (Amiga)
That Is The Mapping Of The Arrow Up And Arrow Down Key To The History
File. You can browse in the history file and re-execute any commands.
With Some Simple Line Editing Command I Used To Save A Lot Of
Typing Time.
I am currently using KSH on A3000UX, Csh on Ultrix.
Any Help.

                                   D. Perret-Gallix

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (06/04/91)

In article <5546@cernvax.cern.ch> perretg@cernvax.cern.ch (denis perret-gallix) writes:
>I Miss A Very Useful Feature Found On Many Unix-Like Shell (Amiga)
>That Is The Mapping Of The Arrow Up And Arrow Down Key To The History
                 [...]
>I am currently using KSH on A3000UX, Csh on Ultrix.

Under the ksh shell you should be able to do command history and command
line editing using the 'vi' editor commands.  I don't use vi, so I can't
give you directions on how to use this feature.  If you prefer the emacs
editor then you can type 'set -o emacs' to enable the emacs editing functions
instead of the vi key sequences (at least that is how ksh works here).

Take your pick and read your favorite editor man page for further directions.
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (06/05/91)

I would also like this feature....I miss it dearly in unix!

--
ACK!!!!
	-Bill the Cat

Amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu	            .....Paul......

eeh@public.BTR.COM (Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun04.143418.18495@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <5546@cernvax.cern.ch> perretg@cernvax.cern.ch (denis perret-gallix) writes:
>>I Miss A Very Useful Feature Found On Many Unix-Like Shell (Amiga)
>>That Is The Mapping Of The Arrow Up And Arrow Down Key To The History
                 [...]
>>I am currently using KSH on A3000UX, Csh on Ultrix.

>Under the ksh shell you should be able to ....

	I have been using Ultrix for a while and can tell you that it is
absolutely not the same.  The Ultrix Csh flips into vi- or emacs-mode when
you type the up arrow key (or hit escape.)  This works on Xterm windows,
rlogins, dumb terminals, etc.  The Ksh Ultrix provides is a completely
different story.  (I have not tried Ksh under Amiga UNIX yet...)  While
it does accept editing commands, just like vi or emacs, the cursor only
respods to the appropiate cursor movement commands (i.e. 'h', 'j', 'k',
and 'l' for vi, ^P, ^N, ^B, ^F for emacs. )   This makes editing extremely
painful for those who don't have a brain-dead editor implementation.

	The other thing I really love about the Ultrix C-shell, is that it
also accepts standard C-shell history, so you can use which ever version has
fewer keystrokes.  You can recall the appropriate command with a bang-whatever,
or cursor-up until you find the appropriate command.  Well C=, if you want to
do a little bit of value-adding, this is certainly a great place to start!

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid