[comp.unix.amiga] More FAQ about 3000UX & Power-up program

solensky@animal.clearpoint.com (Frank T. Solensky) (06/06/91)

  I'm sure that these have appeared frequently on the list, so please bear with
me..

  I've got a 1000 at home and am thinking real seriously about "moving up".
I already know (or think that I know) that I could boot the machine as AmigaDos
1.3 or 2.0 through the mouse buttons.

1) Do I need to split the hard disk into an Amiga-DOS partition and a Unix
   partition?

   a)  If so, can I at least access the "other" partition?  I'd expect this
       to be text-file accesses rather than executable programs.

   b)  If not, is there some sort of emulation mode that allows executables
       on one OS be run on the other (that is, something like Interactive's
       VPIX MS-DOS emulation)?  Most people I've talked to have indicated that
       they didn't think there was, but nobody's been certain about it.

	i) If not, could I get a bridgeboard and get MS-DOS emulation from
	Unix that way?

2) Can Unix understand the Amiga-Dos floppy format (so that I can moves files
   from the 1000 to the 3000 via sneakernet)?

3) How does the Power-up program apply to the 3000 UX machines?  Can I get
   the box alone and another monitor, or does it come as a package deal?
   And is the ethernet card optional?   Any more details available yet?
   I've seen a few recent postings indicating that the program has been
   expanded, but no other details.

--
			-- Frank Solensky / Clearpoint Research Corp.
Red Sox magic number: 113

ahh@moji.uucp (Andy Heffernan) (06/08/91)

In article <SOLENSKY.91Jun6171901@animal.clearpoint.com> solensky@animal.clearpoint.com (Frank T. Solensky) writes:
[...]
>1) Do I need to split the hard disk into an Amiga-DOS partition and a Unix
>   partition?

The disk has to be split up into partitions.  Since the system comes to you
all set up, however, you (specifically) don't have to do this.

>   a)  If so, can I at least access the "other" partition?  I'd expect this
>       to be text-file accesses rather than executable programs.

No.

>   b)  If not, is there some sort of emulation mode that allows executables
>       on one OS be run on the other (that is, something like Interactive's
>       VPIX MS-DOS emulation)?  Most people I've talked to have indicated that
>       they didn't think there was, but nobody's been certain about it.

No.

>	i) If not, could I get a bridgeboard and get MS-DOS emulation from
>	Unix that way?

No.

>2) Can Unix understand the Amiga-Dos floppy format (so that I can moves files
>   from the 1000 to the 3000 via sneakernet)?

No.  They both understand the BRU format, though.
Knowing next to nothing about this, however, I can't explain much more.

>3) How does the Power-up program apply to the 3000 UX machines?  Can I get
>   the box alone and another monitor, or does it come as a package deal?
>   And is the ethernet card optional?   Any more details available yet?
>   I've seen a few recent postings indicating that the program has been
>   expanded, but no other details.

I don't know, but I'd bet that the program applies to the box only.
All UX's come with the ethernet card.

--
$BJ8;z(J		Andy Heffernan
This is Unix ( )-	ahh@moji.uucp (uunet!glyph!moji!ahh)

In article <122@moji.uucp> ahh@moji.uucp (Andy Heffernan) writes:
>In article <SOLENSKY.91Jun6171901@animal.clearpoint.com> solensky@animal.clearpoint.com (Frank T. Solensky) writes:
>>   a)  If so, can I at least access the "other" partition?  I'd expect this
>>       to be text-file accesses rather than executable programs.
>
>No.

	Technically this is quite feasible,  AmigaDos supports easily mounted
filesystems, and all someone has to do is write an AmigaDos filesystem that
talks inodes et all on the storage end.  Perhaps Matt Dillon is interested....

--
Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) (06/10/91)

In article <22290@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>	Technically this is quite feasible,  AmigaDos supports easily mounted
>filesystems, and all someone has to do is write an AmigaDos filesystem that
>talks inodes et all on the storage end.  Perhaps Matt Dillon is interested....

You mean you don't want to do this? :-)  Seriously though, I think this
would be a definite feature.  I wouldn't mind doing it, but I only now got
an Amiga, it will take a while for me to get it going..not knowing anything
either about operating system nor the pecularities of programming under
AmigaDOS.

	Sri
	aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu