[comp.unix.amiga] X11R5 for AmigaUNIX ?

sysop@insider.zer.sub.org (06/06/91)

I've just found this in a local newsgoup...

>                         X 11 Release 5 from Japan
>
> OMRON has developed "X Window Version 11 Release 5 (X11R5)," a
> next-generation "X Window" system, and will start OEM-supplying it to
> workstation makers worldwide within the year.  X11R5 features a
> multi-language processing function added to the Release 4 version that
> is supported by most workstation makers.  The new version, which has
> been approved by the X Consortium as a standard system, makes it
> unnecessary for software vendors to develop applications for each
> language.  (5/21/91: Nikkan Kogyo p.10)
>
> from: JANEWS, GMD Aussenstelle Tokio

When (if ever) will this be available for Amiga Unix ?

Amiga - What else ? |  Garry Glendown  The Insider HST/V32b +49 (0)6621-77923
           //       |  UUCP: cbmvax!cbmger!insider!garry  Fido: 2:243/43.999
          //        |        garry@fulmin.rhoen.sub.org   Garry@DGIHRZ01.BITNET
        \X/         |  Zerberus: SYSOP@INSIDER.ZER

**>>> MPoint v1.6 <<<**  (C)1991 M.Aberle

rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org (Rob Healey) (06/08/91)

In article <9106042316.32.4@SYSOP> sysop@insider.zer.sub.org writes:
>I've just found this in a local newsgoup...
>>                         X 11 Release 5 from Japan

	The Janpanese are pulling your leg slightly here. X11R5 will
	NOT be officially available from MIT till at least mid summer,
	if OMICRON releases it any sooner MIT will probably be "upset"
	to say the least...

	Amiga will probably have the clients/libs as soon as someone
	ftp's the official release code from MIT after they release it.

	The server? Maybe we should settle for a good R4 server first, much
	more likely to happen... R5 mostly adds scalable fonts and font
	servers, not much user visable difference betwixed an R4 and R5
	server from what I hear.

		-Rob

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (06/11/91)

In article <9106042316.32.4@SYSOP> sysop@insider.zer.sub.org writes:

>I've just found this in a local newsgoup...
>
>>                         X 11 Release 5 from Japan
>>
>> OMRON has developed "X Window Version 11 Release 5 (X11R5)," a
>> next-generation "X Window" system, and will start OEM-supplying it to
>> workstation makers worldwide within the year.  X11R5 features a
>> multi-language processing function added to the Release 4 version that
>> is supported by most workstation makers.  The new version, which has
>> been approved by the X Consortium as a standard system, makes it
>> unnecessary for software vendors to develop applications for each
>> language.  (5/21/91: Nikkan Kogyo p.10)
>>
>> from: JANEWS, GMD Aussenstelle Tokio
>
>When (if ever) will this be available for Amiga Unix ?

Hmm..

I suppose this is simply a premature announcement.  The timeline
which X Consortium people have announced for releasing X11R5
is "sometime after global warming has been achieved".  People have
been assuming this meant "fall '91".

One of the features in R5 will be better support for foriegn languages.
Which jives with the above announcement.

Another feature is "drag and drop" -- meaning the ability to drag
things around on the screen (selected text, icons, etc) and drop
them into windows & etc.

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<-