[comp.unix.amiga] A3000UX: 16 vs 25 MHz version, Power-Up questions.

jac@gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) (06/10/91)

  I have some questions concerning A3000's and the future '040
accelerator boards for them. If I buy a 16 MHz A3000 and add an '040
board to it, will the resulting machine be as fast as a 25 MHz A3000
with the same board in it? (Aside from the obvious difference if you
use the '030 as a coprocessor.) The bus runs at the same speed in both
machines, right? Any other differences?

  Also, it has been mentioned that the Power-Up program applies to the
A3000UX machines. What is the Power-Up price for the various UX
machines?  Is it still a flat $1500 off? Is this as good as the
Educational deal? Thanks for the info.

  Jim

James A. Crotinger     Lawrence Livermore Natl Lab // The above views
jac@moonshine.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808;  L-630    \\ // are mine and are not
(415) 422-0259         Livermore CA  94550      \\/ necessarily those of LLNL

tegen@isy.liu.se (Claes Tegenf{lt) (06/12/91)

jac@gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) writes:

>  I have some questions concerning A3000's and the future '040
>accelerator boards for them. If I buy a 16 MHz A3000 and add an '040
>board to it, will the resulting machine be as fast as a 25 MHz A3000
>with the same board in it? (Aside from the obvious difference if you
>use the '030 as a coprocessor.) The bus runs at the same speed in both
>machines, right? Any other differences?

Yes, according to Dave Haynie at CBM a A3000/16 should with a good design of
the '040 board be equivallent with a A3000/25. This is due to the fact that
both the 16MHz and the 25MHz versions have the same motherboard design. So
it seems that it's only the processor and the clock in the A3000 that makes
it a 16 or 25 MHz machine... Please read the thread about '040 compatibility
warning, (I think it was there I read about this discussion).

  /Clas
tegen@isy.liu.se

|  Clas Tegenfeldt  |  tegen@isy.liu.se  |  "Magic cooking software".   |

In article <jac.676572039@sundance> jac@gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) writes:

>  I have some questions concerning A3000's and the future '040
>accelerator boards for them. If I buy a 16 MHz A3000 and add an '040
>board to it, will the resulting machine be as fast as a 25 MHz A3000
>with the same board in it? (Aside from the obvious difference if you
>use the '030 as a coprocessor.) The bus runs at the same speed in both
>machines, right? Any other differences?

It can be.  If the '040 coprocessor card is designed to do so, it can source
the clocks for the A3000's motherboard and expansion bus.  Which, aside from
'030 coprocessor issues, will result in the same system you would get with
an A3000 that comes with 25MHz motherboard clocks.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.