[comp.unix.amiga] MINIX

breemen@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl (E. van Breemen) (05/29/91)

I have found some MINIX archives on ab20. Is there a PD version of MINIX?

greetings

Erwin van Breemen

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) (05/30/91)

breemen@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl (E. van Breemen) writes:

>I have found some MINIX archives on ab20. Is there a PD version of MINIX?

No, that file is an update, a rather old one. The most recent amiga
minix updates can always be found on ftp.cs.vu.nl, in directories /pub/raymond
and/or /pub/sreiz/minix.  There is no, and probably never will be, PD
version of minix.

Regards,

	Steven Reiz

jburnes@swbatl.sbc.com (Jim Burnes - 235-7444) (05/31/91)

breemen@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl (E. van Breemen) writes:

> I have found some MINIX archives on ab20. Is there a PD version of MINIX?
>
> greetings
>
> Erwin van Breemen

Well if your consider Berkely Unix 4.4 a really maxed out version of
MINIX...the answer is YES sort of.  In around 3-4 months Berkeley is
releasing the full 4.4 dist into the public domain.  There is no AT&T
code in it.  It will be running the mach kernel.  Matt Dillon has
personally sworn to convert it over to the Amiga once the sources are
released.  If it can be done, Matt can do it.

Jim

-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Jim Burnes, UNIX SysAdmin          ! "The Nineties
SWBell Advanced Technology Labs    !    are gonna make the Sixties
(314) 235-7444                     !       look like the Fifties..."
jburnes@swbatl.sbc.com             !   author unknown...
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------

chet@odin.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.211409.307@swbatl.sbc.com> jburnes@swbatl.sbc.com (Jim Burnes - 235-7444) writes:

>Well if your consider Berkely Unix 4.4 a really maxed out version of
>MINIX...the answer is YES sort of.  In around 3-4 months Berkeley is
>releasing the full 4.4 dist into the public domain.  There is no AT&T
>code in it.  It will be running the mach kernel.

This is wrong.  It will not be running the Mach kernel, though certain
parts of Mach, such as the VM system, have been adopted.  There will
still be AT&T code in the distribution.  CSRG is working as hard as they
can to remove it, but they are not miracle workers.
--
                    ``You shoot John Sununu.  Twice.''

Chet Ramey			  Internet: chet@po.CWRU.Edu
Case Western Reserve University	  NeXT Mail: chet@macbeth.INS.CWRU.Edu

hunter@bacchus.esa.oz.au (James Gardiner [Hunter]) (06/11/91)

In <1991May30.211409.307@swbatl.sbc.com> jburnes@swbatl.sbc.com (Jim Burnes - 235-7444) writes:

>code in it.  It will be running the mach kernel.  Matt Dillon has
>personally sworn to convert it over to the Amiga once the sources are
>released.  If it can be done, Matt can do it.

Gee.  When and where is the statue of MATT going to be shown to the public.
I imagin it will be a life sized statue of Matt.  An amiga A4000 in one arm
and the World in the other.  Would probably be places in the reception
or the head office of Commodore.....

>Jim

>-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
>Jim Burnes, UNIX SysAdmin          ! "The Nineties
>SWBell Advanced Technology Labs    !    are gonna make the Sixties
>(314) 235-7444                     !       look like the Fifties..."
>jburnes@swbatl.sbc.com             !   author unknown...
>-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------

James.
James Gardiner [Hunter][hunter@bacchus.esa.oz.au]    Expert Solutions Australia
                 UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!hunter@bacchus.esa.oz.au
                   ARPA: hunter%bacchus.esa.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (06/14/91)

From article <hunter.676606896@thomas>, by hunter@bacchus.esa.oz.au (James Gardiner [Hunter]):
> In <1991May30.211409.307@swbatl.sbc.com> jburnes@swbatl.sbc.com (Jim Burnes - 235-7444) writes:
>>released.  If it can be done, Matt can do it.
>
> Gee.  When and where is the statue of MATT going to be shown to the public.
> I imagin it will be a life sized statue of Matt.  An amiga A4000 in one arm
> and the World in the other.  Would probably be places in the reception
> or the head office of Commodore.....

Plans have been held up. The sculptor has been unable to find anybody who
remembers what Matt looks like. One pundit suggests simply carving the back
of a head staring at a computer screen. There is also the question of
the keyboard to be depicted in the sculpture. Matt's turbocharger-enhanced
keyboard presents problematic artistic questions, in that it makes the
computer more resemble the underhood of a '67 Mustang than a computing
device, and it would be problematic to have the figure actually HOLD the
keyboard.

As I hear it, they are actively soliciting slogans to be emblazoned upon
the base of the statue. As I don't know Matt, I haven't entered any of
my own choices into the contest. Slogans currently under consideration are
typical statue sloganry type things, such as "Matt Dillon, World's Best
Programmer" and the such. Others suggest that such slogans don't adequately
represent the level of Matt's ability and are bland besides, but they have
had trouble finding more laudatory adjectives. However, they are currently
searching through the latest unabridged Webster's, so we may get reports
from that quarter some time in the next century.

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg