[comp.unix.amiga] Applications we'd like to see

logan@netxcom.netx.com (Jim Logan) (06/13/91)

In article <JR9831w161w@nstar.rn.com> tbissett@nstar.rn.com
(Travis Bissett) writes:
# sci and support, but maybe you no some facts tangential to this. What kinds
# of APPLICATIONS are actually runable on the A3000UX? I am specifically
# interested in engineering and CAD applications. OK, I know about Maple. Any
# others?

Speaking of applications, I would love it it C= would write up a
contract with Insignia Systems so that they would port their Soft
PC product.  That would be awesome under AMIX!

Does anyone know if Informix will be ported to AMIX?  How about
Oracle?  How about Lotus 123?  I think I heard that 123 runs
under UNIX now.  I think Word Perfect runs under UNIX too.  I
would buy them if they were out there...

			-Jim
--
Jim Logan                Home: logan@gimlet.cntv.va.us
Consultant               Work: logan@netx.com

rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org (Rob Healey) (06/16/91)

Enter soap box mode:

In article <457@netxcom.netx.com> logan@netxcom.netx.com (Jim Logan) writes:
>In article <JR9831w161w@nstar.rn.com> tbissett@nstar.rn.com
>(Travis Bissett) writes:
># sci and support, but maybe you no some facts tangential to this. What kinds
># of APPLICATIONS are actually runable on the A3000UX? I am specifically
># interested in engineering and CAD applications. OK, I know about Maple. Any
># others?
>
>Speaking of applications, I would love it it C= would write up a
>contract with Insignia Systems so that they would port their Soft
>PC product.  That would be awesome under AMIX!

	PC stuff, ICKY! B^). But it would SELL units! "Does it run PC
	software?" "Yup!" "Sold!" Sad but true fact of modern life...

>Does anyone know if Informix will be ported to AMIX?  How about
>Oracle?  How about Lotus 123?  I think I heard that 123 runs
>under UNIX now.  I think Word Perfect runs under UNIX too.  I
>would buy them if they were out there...

	Surprised C= marketing hasn't thought of this... You can sell ALOT
	more UX's by having NEEDED applications running under it. I.e.
	Most business people by applications, NOT computers. If Amiga UNIX
	ran 123, Oracle/Informix/Trendy-DB and Word Pregnant(ooops, I mean
	Word Perfect), you might actually be able to sell UX's by the
	truckload to businesses that want a networked solution for these
	Killer apps. Why do you think SPARCstations sell into business so
	well? Sun's charming personality? Hell no! SPARCs run the apps
	business people NEED/WANT. And it looks like NeXT caught the
	drift with their bundled software...

	C= marketing better wake up and smell the coffee PRONTO. They
	should STOP taking lessons from the AT&T school of marketing,
	and go for high volume of units at low cost rather than low
	volume of units at high cost. You sell high volume by running
	the applications Joe/Jane business user WANTS, not by being
	techically superior. How do you think a technologically
	bankrupt system like MS-DOS on a braindead Intel architecture
	sells billions $$$/year world wide? It ain't on good looks and
	talent babe, it's by having the apps people buy computers for.

	Applications sell the computer, not the other way around.

	So, to end my scolding of C= marketdroids. Get some REAL apps that
	businesses want, drop the price into the PC range and sell LOT'S
	of units. Ya gotta THINK big to BE big kids!

Exit soapbox mode.

	By the way, has anybody started on ups, the C debugger under X? It
	runs on Sun 3's so it outta run under Amiga UNIX after "just a few"
	30 hour debugging sessions... If anyone's done any work on this,
	send me e-mail I'd love to hear from you.

	At this point, "Send me a copy when your done" type messages will be
	sent to /dev/null immediately. I'll announce if/when there's something
	ready for general use.

		-Rob

cates504@pirates.armstrong.edu (06/17/91)

You know, there's Amiga OS inside of all of those Amix boxes. ;)

If you want to run MS-DOS Apps that badly right now you can just]
get a BridgeCard to run under Amiga OS and even an AmaxII system
to run MultiFinder and all the Mac Apps you want.

There's alot of computer in that box.

There is even a decent software based MS-DOS emulator available now
with full Hard-Drive and 030 support, under native Amiga OS, of course.

Jim