[comp.unix.amiga] Wanted: rdump/rrestore solution

alanlb@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (06/18/91)

Hi everyone!  I have a couple of Amiga 3000s running Unix networked with
many other Unix machines, one of which has a nine-track tape drive.  Our
setup uses rdump/rrestore to/from this device for all our backup.  My
problem: rdump/rrestore don't exist on Amiga SVR4.  As far as I can
see, there's no way of doing remote backups/restores with the current
release (1.1).  Doing a local dump and piping the output to the remote
machine isn't a desirable option.  My questions are:

1) Does the source for some kind of rdump/rrestore exist in the
   public domain?

2) If not, does anybody know any specifics about the rdump/rrestore
   daemon that runs on the remote machine?

If anyone can give me any info regarding (2), I suppose I can write
a wrapper for rdump/rrestore.  I'll post any such source code I
write.

Thanks!

-alan l. batongbacal
-struggling graduate student

kaba@wintermute.north.de (Kai Bartels) (06/22/91)

alanlb@csgrad.cs.vt.edu writes:
>Hi everyone!  I have a couple of Amiga 3000s running Unix networked with
>many other Unix machines, one of which has a nine-track tape drive.  Our
>setup uses rdump/rrestore to/from this device for all our backup.  My
>problem: rdump/rrestore don't exist on Amiga SVR4.  As far as I can
>see, there's no way of doing remote backups/restores with the current
What about mounting the A3000's filesystems on the box with the tape and
backing them up locally on that machine?

>Thanks!
cu, Kai
--
"I like to sound big, You like to sound big, Bigger than I do"     <Fisher-Z>
BITNET: g14b@dhbrrz41             +            UUCP: kaba@wintermute.north.de