[comp.unix.amiga] XLOGIN

s000623@kowande.bu.oz.au (Jason Patterson) (06/20/91)

> Is there a way to start up Openlook with a Xterm (with login prompt) as a
> default. This could not have an owner as you would have to login in a shell
> then change the monitor cable over for open look to use the Lowell board.

WHAT WE REALLY NEED IS AN 'XLOGIN'

Anyone know of anything suitable, or ported (even better)?

AND NOW ITS TIME FOR ANOTHER CRACK AT G++...

Jason Patterson

Internet: s000623@kowande.bu.oz.au

Information & Computing Sciences
Bond University, AUSTRALIA, 4229

"These views are not necessarily those of Bond University"

rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org (Rob Healey) (06/24/91)

In article <1624@surf.sics.bu.oz.au> s000623@kowande.bu.oz.au (Jason Patterson) writes:
>> Is there a way to start up Openlook with a Xterm (with login prompt) as a
>> default. This could not have an owner as you would have to login in a shell
>> then change the monitor cable over for open look to use the Lowell board.
>WHAT WE REALLY NEED IS AN 'XLOGIN'
>Anyone know of anything suitable, or ported (even better)?

	As Scotty would say, "The right tool for the right job!"...

	Check out xdm, that's how Sun, Dec, HP and most other vendors
	set up X as the main display and have users log in under
	the server.

	Usually, you run xdm from the rc script on multiuser boot, it
	prints a cutesy login box and users log in. When they exit, it
	resets the server and prints out the cutesy banner again.

		I believe xdm is part of X on Amiga UNIX or it will be
		now that we've brought it up...

			-Rob