[comp.unix.amiga] AmigaUX Costs, etc.

holgerl@amiux.agsc.sub.org (Holger Lubitz) (06/29/91)

In article <8806@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> johnh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (John J Humpal) writes:
>       Ooh! Unix on a 68000?  Sounds slow to me.  I think you'd need
>a 68030, at least 5 MB RAM, and probably around 100 MB HD to make
>Amiga Unix fly.

Make that at least 9 MB RAM and a somewhat bigger HD (200 MB is fine,
though more might be needed depending on your applications) and you start
talking about a usable system. (I bought the UX with 5 megs RAM and the small
100 meg HD, basically because I could expand it cheaper myself - guess what
was the very first thing I did :-)

If you plan on buying an UX with only 5 MB, better forget about X-Windows.
I tried it before expanding. Having to get a coffee while waiting for
a window or even menu to open is a real pain.

BTW: comp.sys.amiga is a dead newsgroup. So I crossposted this article
to comp.unix.amiga and redirected followups there.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser