[comp.unix.amiga] Amiga 3000 UX & 2410 Graphics Adapter

danielh@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Hartman) (06/27/91)

I've been hearing quite a few things about the Amiga 3000UX and would like
some general information. Also, a few specific questions:

1. Will there (or is there) be a student discount price for the system(s), and
   what would the happen to be?

2. Are ethernet cards availible that would work with the 3000UX?

3. Would it be possible to get the software seperately, so I could use my
   current 3000? (Even if rom replacement is necessary)

4. When is the A2410 (I believe that is the number) graphics card going to be
   availible, when will it work with unix, does it require a seperate monitor,
   is it compatible with amigados and all or any other programs, and how much
   (~) will it run?

5. Are there any '040 boards avaible or coming out for the 3000?

Thanks,

Dan Hartman

metahawk@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) (06/27/91)

In article <2307@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM> danielh@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Hartman) writes:
>I've been hearing quite a few things about the Amiga 3000UX and would like
>some general information. Also, a few specific questions:
>
>1. Will there (or is there) be a student discount price for the system(s), and
>   what would the happen to be?

There is a discount price, but I haven't a clue as to what they'd be.

>2. Are ethernet cards availible that would work with the 3000UX?

The A3000UX's come with ethernet cards (well, at least the A3000UX/D does,
but I think the B version also comes with it).  In any case the ethernet
cards are available from C=.  There are also 3rd party ethernet cards, but
I don't know how well they work with UNIX.

>3. Would it be possible to get the software seperately, so I could use my
>   current 3000? (Even if rom replacement is necessary)

Commodore is suppose to be working on a UNIX kit for A3000's.  It should be
out real soon.  (I think they're waiting for version 2.0 of their UNIX OS
before they start shipping this, but this is only a guess.)  You'll need
a Q150 tape drive, like the A3070 (?), to install it though.  I hope they
will also sell it on CD.

>4. When is the A2410 (I believe that is the number) graphics card going to be
>   availible, when will it work with unix, does it require a seperate monitor,
>   is it compatible with amigados and all or any other programs, and how much
>   (~) will it run?

The rumor is real soon now.  It works with the 1950 monitor, although you can't
display the maximum resolution the card can output on a 1950 monitor.
Presently, UNIX is the only thing that works with it.  There isn't a version
of WorkBench that works with it yet.

>5. Are there any '040 boards avaible or coming out for the 3000?

The Fusion-Forty is suppose to be out (the 2000 version, at least).  Most
of the major hardware companies for the Amiga, are working on '040 boards.
There should be many more appearing between now and Christmas.

>Thanks,
>
>Dan Hartman

"Hello?  Is there anybody in there?      Wayne Rigby
"Just nod if you can hear me."           Computer and Systems Engineer
          - Pink Floyd                   (A delightful blend of EE and CS)
                                         Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
     Yes, C-128's still live!            metahawk@rpi.edu

es1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) (06/27/91)

In article <atfldbl@rpi.edu> metahawk@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) writes:
>In article <2307@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM> danielh@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Hartman) writes:
>>I've been hearing quite a few things about the Amiga 3000UX and would like
>>some general information. Also, a few specific questions:
>>
>>1. Will there (or is there) be a student discount price for the system(s), and
>>   what would the happen to be?
>
>There is a discount price, but I haven't a clue as to what they'd be.

A3000UX-B	$4,000 (appr)
A3000UX-D	$5,000 (appr)

It is like $50-$100 more than those prices.

	-- Ethan

FF buckets of bits on the bus,	FF buckets of bits.
Take one down,			Short it to ground,
FE buckets of bits on the bus.

doconnor>) (06/27/91)

]
] Commodore is suppose to be working on a UNIX kit for A3000's.  It should be
] out real soon.  (I think they're waiting for version 2.0 of their UNIX OS
] before they start shipping this, but this is only a guess.)  You'll need
] a Q150 tape drive, like the A3070 (?), to install it though.  I hope they
] will also sell it on CD.

A co-worker suggested that C-A should sell UNIX pre-installed on a 100MB+
hard-drive. Just plug it in, reset the boot priority table, and go.

My opinion is that this is a good idea ( the drive only costs $300 or so )
but that the drive should be larger. I've got a A3000/25-100, and I only
have one internal drive bay left, and I think UNIX will eat the entire
100MB of the drive, won't it ? Now 200MB, leaving 100MB free, maybe ...

The other option would be to let authorized dealers install UNIX off tape
onto customer systems. This will probably happen anyway : I buy UNIX from
my dealer, bring in my system, he hooks up his tape drive and tally ho !
The idea of making everybody buy a tape drive to get UNIX is IMHO crazy.
Dennis O'Connor,      		uunet!srg!titania!doconnor
non-representative.

dfields@radium.urbana.mcd.mot.com (David Fields) (06/29/91)

>The idea of making everybody buy a tape drive to get UNIX is IMHO crazy.

The idea of having a unix system with out a reasonable method to do
backups is crazy.  Or you plan to by a read/write optical drive?

In case it's not obvious, I don't consider backing up a >=100Meg
drive to floppies reasonable.  I also consider not backing up the
system as stupid.

Dave Fields // Motorola Computer Group // dfields@urbana.mcd.mot.com

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (06/30/91)

In article <2621@urbana.mcd.mot.com> dfields@urbana.mcd.mot.com writes:
>>The idea of making everybody buy a tape drive to get UNIX is IMHO crazy.
>
>The idea of having a unix system with out a reasonable method to do
>backups is crazy.  Or you plan to by a read/write optical drive?

Did I miss something?  Has UNIX been unbundled?

As to the tape drive, it's a small expense.  SunOS 4.1.1 comes on
*two* 150 Mb carts.  The SunOS CD claims that the entire SunOS
distribution takes up:

Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sr3              284914  284916       0   100%    /cd_rom/sunos

Yep, those two tapes are almost full.

If SunOS 4.1.1 came on Amiga floppies, it would take:
284916/880 = ~323 floppies.

Two 3M tapes cost me $50.  323 Sony floppies cost me ~$300.

Ick.  Now compare that to a $600-700 peripheral.  I dunno what
CBM charges, but you shouldn't have to use their tape drive.  (Unless
UNIX is bundled with the tape drive!)

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Systems Wrangler, University of Houston Department of Mathematics

hammond@cs.albany.edu (William F Hammond) (06/30/91)

In article <DOCONNOR.91Jun27085655@titania.srg.UUCP> uunet!srg!titania!doconnor writes:
>The other option would be to let authorized dealers install UNIX off tape
>onto customer systems. This will probably happen anyway : I buy UNIX from
>my dealer, bring in my system, he hooks up his tape drive and tally ho !
>The idea of making everybody buy a tape drive to get UNIX is IMHO crazy.
>--
>Dennis O'Connor,      		uunet!srg!titania!doconnor

It would be good if there were a practical way for those who do not want
to have tape drives to be able to have UNIX on 3000's.

It is reasonable to expect that there will be periodic updates of the
UNIX software, however.

Moreover, for most systems tape will probably offer the most practical way
of backing up user and local files.  Thus, the investment in a tape drive
does not need to be viewed as solely for the purpose of enabling the
installation and updating of UNIX.

William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
hammond@leah.albany.edu              wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (06/30/91)

In article <2621@urbana.mcd.mot.com> dfields@radium.urbana.mcd.mot.com (David Fields) writes:
>>The idea of making everybody buy a tape drive to get UNIX is IMHO crazy.
>
>The idea of having a unix system with out a reasonable method to do
>backups is crazy.  Or you plan to by a read/write optical drive?
>
>In case it's not obvious, I don't consider backing up a >=100Meg
>drive to floppies reasonable.	I also consider not backing up the
>system as stupid.
>
>Dave Fields // Motorola Computer Group // dfields@urbana.mcd.mot.com

    What I think Dave means is that unlike AmigaDOS, it's a major mess to
    re-install UNIX completely from scratch if something dies.... a REAL
    mess, lost data aside.  There are so many programs interacting and so
    much work required to install various things (example:  you port a new
    version of GCC and have to modify a lot of files all over the place),
    that it would take days to get it all back on line.

    So I would also strongly suggest getting a tape drive.  Backing up to
    floppies is not reasonable.

					    -Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon

masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Masaru Sugai) (07/01/91)

In article <373@karp.albany.edu> hammond@karp.albany.edu.UUCP (William F Hammond) writes:
>In article <DOCONNOR.91Jun27085655@titania.srg.UUCP> uunet!srg!titania!doconnor writes:
>>The other option would be to let authorized dealers install UNIX off tape
>>onto customer systems. This will probably happen anyway : I buy UNIX from
>>my dealer, bring in my system, he hooks up his tape drive and tally ho !
>>The idea of making everybody buy a tape drive to get UNIX is IMHO crazy.
>>Dennis O'Connor,      		uunet!srg!titania!doconnor

>It would be good if there were a practical way for those who do not want
>to have tape drives to be able to have UNIX on 3000's.

>It is reasonable to expect that there will be periodic updates of the
>UNIX software, however.

>Moreover, for most systems tape will probably offer the most practical way
>of backing up user and local files.  Thus, the investment in a tape drive
>does not need to be viewed as solely for the purpose of enabling the
>installation and updating of UNIX.

 I bought A3070 expecting for AMIX as a software product, but I have to
agree some users don't see 150MB QIC so attractive, as there are various
alternatives for backup these days ranging from removables to DAT. Isn't it
pushy to get A3070 only for AMIX ?

 I guess most people opt for AMIX because AmigaDOS makes a good compensation
for multimedia works which are next to impossible on the present UNIX platform.
I rather would like to see CD-ROM as an optional distribution medium, as it
gives several advantages for both parties.

 - CD-ROM is an indispensable source of multimedia data in 90s.
   (BTW, does AMIX support CDROM filesystem ? )
 - Costs of CD-ROM(media cost, drive) are dropping rapidly these days.
 - CBM could appeal their commitment to MM products i.e. Amiga and CDTV.
 - We can expect XCDTV running on AMIX sometime in near future (kidding :)

 Any comment ?
--
-- Masaru Sugai:Use disclaimer. CIS 72050,2141:NeXT + A3000 = money-eater
NEC Corporation:sugai@ccs.mt.nec.co.jp DORMANT:hardwired logic,machine language