[vmsnet.sysmgt] NEWS READER: which should I use?

zwbm07@hou.amoco.com (Walter Moore) (06/13/91)

Hi,

  I am looking for software to let me read news remotely on a VMS machine,
where the server software will be Cnews running on Unix (Sun machines).  It
would be ideal if this software had the same user interface as "rn".

Any suggestions or ideas on software or where to look?

Thanks,

--
TTYL & TANSTAAFL ---------------- Walter Moore
      Internet: zwbm07@hou.amoco.com

civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu (FURRY R) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.202204.11255@hou.amoco.com>, zwbm07@hou.amoco.com (Walter Moore) writes...
>Hi,
>
>  I am looking for software to let me read news remotely on a VMS machine,
>where the server software will be Cnews running on Unix (Sun machines).  It
>would be ideal if this software had the same user interface as "rn".
>
>Any suggestions or ideas on software or where to look?
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>TTYL & TANSTAAFL ---------------- Walter Moore
>      Internet: zwbm07@hou.amoco.com

I currently use VNews v 1.3-4 available at amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov via
anonymous ftp.  Seems to work pretty good, and the commands are fairly
similar to rn (although RN is still MUCH better).  It does have all the
normal commands just like rn, they just use different keys for some of them.

/ |CIVIR1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu| Q: Is there a UNIX FORTRAN optomizer? \
\ |    Scott Ellis          | A: Yeah, "rm *.f"    _                /
/ |_________________________|                   _ // Amiga          \
\_______________________________________________\X/_________________/

mrl@nerus.pfc.mit.edu (06/14/91)

In a previous article, zwbm07@hou.amoco.com (Walter Moore) wrote:
!Hi,
!
!  I am looking for software to let me read news remotely on a VMS machine,
!where the server software will be Cnews running on Unix (Sun machines).  It
!would be ideal if this software had the same user interface as "rn".
!
!Any suggestions or ideas on software or where to look?
!
!Thanks,
!
!--
!TTYL & TANSTAAFL ---------------- Walter Moore
!      Internet: zwbm07@hou.amoco.com

                                                                         Mark

mrl@alcvax.pfc.mit.edu (06/14/91)

In a previous article, zwbm07@hou.amoco.com (Walter Moore) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>  I am looking for software to let me read news remotely on a VMS machine,
>where the server software will be Cnews running on Unix (Sun machines).  It
>would be ideal if this software had the same user interface as "rn".
>
>Any suggestions or ideas on software or where to look?
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>TTYL & TANSTAAFL ---------------- Walter Moore
>      Internet: zwbm07@hou.amoco.com