[trial.soc.culture.italian] New newsgroups

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (05/01/91)

We recently were able to get a feed for this group here at Iowa State.
How long has the trial period been running?  I haven't seen much traffic
here, but if other sites have to work to get a feed as we did, the
group is not reaching a lot of places.

The soc.culture.canada group was proposed here at Iowa State, voted on,
passed overwhelmingly, and has been very popular.  Soc.culture.europe
has now passed overwhelmingly.  How long is it going to be before
Italy is formally recognized along with all of the other European
nations in the soc.culture group?
--
Hank van Cleef
vancleef@iastate.edu	Iowa State University, Ames. Ia.

marchi@gold.cchem.berkeley.edu (Massimo Marchi) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.140826.15561@news.iastate.edu> vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes:
>We recently were able to get a feed for this group here at Iowa State.
>How long has the trial period been running?  I haven't seen much traffic
>here,

We Italians are a very hard working and quiet people. Where we do not
agree on some issue we agree to disagree. After few flares few months
ago, everybody went back to work as hard as ever on his/her small/big
project for life, pushing buttons on our wondrous keyboards and sipping
watery American coffee with renewed "gusto".

>but if other sites have to work to get a feed as we did, the
>group is not reaching a lot of places.

That I conceed might very well be an additional factor.

Bye

Massimo
Massimo Marchi Lewis-112                         marchi@gold.cchem.berkeley.edu
University of California at Berkeley             marchi@UCBCMSA.bitnet
Berkeley, CA 94720

esrmm@warwick.ac.uk (Denis Anthony) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.174328.5976@agate.berkeley.edu> marchi@gold.cchem.berkeley.edu (Massimo Marchi) writes:
>In article <1991May1.140826.15561@news.iastate.edu> vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes:
>>We recently were able to get a feed for this group here at Iowa State.
>>How long has the trial period been running?  I haven't seen much traffic
>>here,
>
>We Italians are a very hard working and quiet people. Where we do not
>agree on some issue we agree to disagree. After few flares few months
>ago, everybody went back to work as hard as ever on his/her small/big
>project for life, pushing buttons on our wondrous keyboards and sipping
>watery American coffee with renewed "gusto".

As usual an irrelevant reply from M, the group has been running
 since just before Christmas.

>>but if other sites have to work to get a feed as we did, the
>>group is not reaching a lot of places.

The trial period is for 5 months, and so will be up shortly,
the usage of the group will be used as a criterion for acceptance as a
"proper" group. The fact that not all sites gets a feed is, I am assured,
taken into account.

I do not imagine there will be a problem, as the group gets a
fair bit of traffic, despite the problems of being "trial" status,
which not all sites subscribe to.

Hope this helps.

Denis

montra@ghost.unimi.it (Paolo Montrasio) (05/02/91)

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes:

>The soc.culture.canada group was proposed here at Iowa State, voted on,
>passed overwhelmingly, and has been very popular.  Soc.culture.europe
>has now passed overwhelmingly.  How long is it going to be before
>Italy is formally recognized along with all of the other European
>nations in the soc.culture group?

Maybe when there will be more computers, computer users and computer-network
users, here in Italy. If we have not > 100 voters we cannot have > 100 votes
to create a newsgroup.

                             _____
                            /     \
.--------------------------|\ P M /|---------------------------------------.
|                          |_\   /.|   |        Paolo Montrasio            |
| Don't study, don't work, |--\_/--|   |        montra@ghost.unimi.it      |
|      play the Core War!   \ \_/ /    |        montra@[131.175.10.64]     |
|                          __|---|__   |        MILANO - ITALY             |
`------------------------/           \-------------------------------------'

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (05/03/91)

In article <L0F_&X~@warwick.ac.uk> esrmm@warwick.ac.uk (Denis Anthony) writes:
>The trial period is for 5 months, and so will be up shortly,
>the usage of the group will be used as a criterion for acceptance as a
>"proper" group. The fact that not all sites gets a feed is, I am assured,
>taken into account.
>
>I do not imagine there will be a problem, as the group gets a
>fair bit of traffic, despite the problems of being "trial" status,
>which not all sites subscribe to.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Denis

Thanks for the input, Denis.  I have been reading the posts
written in Italian, feel embarrased that I cannot respond in the
language.  I did not comment on the young gentleman's comments
about his people, but did notice that they came from Berkeley,
California, USA.  I can only comment that I have not given my
age, attempted to tell anyone what I know of Italians, Tuscan,
Roman, Sicilian, etc., nor of Italian history.  Nor have I asked
anyone if they had read such works as Malaparte, "La Pelle," or
Lampedusa "Il Lipardo."  An Italian national from Tuscany
suggested I look at both---around 1957.  They were worth reading
and considering.

--

ciancarini-paolo@cs.yale.edu (paolo ciancarini) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May02.162326.24499@ghost.unimi.it> montra@ghost.unimi.it (Paolo Montrasio) writes:
>vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes:
>
>>The soc.culture.canada group was proposed here at Iowa State, voted on,
>>passed overwhelmingly, and has been very popular.  Soc.culture.europe
>>has now passed overwhelmingly.  How long is it going to be before
>>Italy is formally recognized along with all of the other European
>>nations in the soc.culture group?
>
>Maybe when there will be more computers, computer users and computer-network
>users, here in Italy. If we have not > 100 voters we cannot have > 100 votes
>to create a newsgroup.

The argument that since there are not enough Italians on the Internet
the vote would fail is not supported by any evidence.
Contrariwise, I believe that such a newgroup
would be passed "overwhelmingly" even now that there are so few
sites in Italy. I trust in the open minds of internetters.
Moreover, there are many Italians on internet sites out of Italy,
and such a newsgroup would be important to connect them.

What I do not know is if it is allowed to call for votes when such a silly
trial.soc.culture.italian trial group does exists yet.
When is it scheduled to finish the trial period?
Hopefully the originator of such a group could clarify matters!

Paolo Ciancarini

distef@csri.toronto.edu (Eugenia Distefano) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May3.161449.26701@cs.yale.edu> ciancarini-paolo@cs.yale.edu (paolo ciancarini) writes:

>When is it scheduled to finish the trial period?
>Hopefully the originator of such a group could clarify matters!

The trial period should be over in a month or so. Actually, what I would
like to know from the "originator" (Denis?) is whether he is in touch with
the appointed "judges" for t.s.c.i. and whether he knows on what measure
they are going to base their decision. My understanding was that the
decision was going to be based on arbitron results. However, never in the
past four months any mention of t.s.c.i. appeared in the monthly posting
of the arbitron results (not even for April, even though I am sure that
at least five different sites carrying t.s.c.i ran arbitron in April...).
Are they monitoring the traffic on the group otherwise? If not, does
this mean that the trial period will be extended or that the group fails?
As also somebody else asked, can votes be taken for a s.c.i while a
t.s.c.i. is in existence (or after a t.s.c.i. has failed)?

The distribution of the trial hierarchy seems to have lots of problems,
so I really hope that whatever is left of the trial period be as short
as possible.

--
Eugenia Distefano
distef@eecg.toronto.edu

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.150114.5831@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> distef@csri.toronto.edu (Eugenia Distefano) writes:

>The trial period should be over in a month or so. Actually, what I would
>like to know from the "originator" (Denis?) is whether he is in touch with
>the appointed "judges" for t.s.c.i. and whether he knows on what measure
>they are going to base their decision. My understanding was that the
>decision was going to be based on arbitron results. However, never in the
>past four months any mention of t.s.c.i. appeared in the monthly posting
>of the arbitron results (not even for April, even though I am sure that
>at least five different sites carrying t.s.c.i ran arbitron in April...).
>Are they monitoring the traffic on the group otherwise? If not, does
>this mean that the trial period will be extended or that the group fails?
>As also somebody else asked, can votes be taken for a s.c.i while a
>t.s.c.i. is in existence (or after a t.s.c.i. has failed)?
>
>The distribution of the trial hierarchy seems to have lots of problems,
>so I really hope that whatever is left of the trial period be as short
>as possible.
>
>--
We had to go to some effort to get this group fed to Iowa State.  I only
found out about it because of a chance comment in some e-mail I
received.  There have been several other soc.culture.countries groups
voted on, all of which have passed their votes overwhelmingly, and all
of which seem to be boiling with traffic. The Canada group is getting
more than I can keep up with, and the new Europe group is the same way.
I can't believe that a vote for s.c.i would do anything but succeed.