From news-server.ecf!news-server.csri.toronto.edu!dgp.toronto.edu!mantei Tue May 21 16:43:45 EDT 1991
Article: 107 of ont.jobs
Newsgroups: ont.jobs
From: mantei@dgp.toronto.edu (Marilyn Mantei)
Subject: EuroPARC Programming/Research Position
Date: 20 May 91 17:23:43 GMT

Opportunities for a Senior Computer Scientist
at Rank Xerox EuroPARC

EuroPARC is the systems research laboratory of Rank Xerox, based in
Cambridge, England.   It is the European satellite of the Xerox Palo
Alto Research Center (PARC).

We are hoping to recruit a senior computer scientist with a broad range of
interests, a commitment to working within a multi-disciplinary team and
an ability to develop his or her own research activities in synergy with
those going on elsewhere in the laboratory.   The kind of person we have in
mind will be European and have an international reputation.  He or she will
have experience of successful project and team leadership and should be
able to contribute to involvement in European research initiatives and
activities.  Ideally, he or she will have a proven ability to design
and implement solutions to significant problems in the form of novel
end-user applications which have been brought successfully into use.

EuroPARC has a multi-disciplinary research staff numbering 20, which is
evenly distributed between computer science on the one hand and
cognitive and social science on the other.  Although we are relatively
small, we collaborate extensively with colleagues in UK, Europe and US.
This includes joint research with PARC and involvement with ESPRIT.
Our charter is to carry out advanced research in Human Computer
Interaction.  We interpret this mandate broadly to include a variety of
issues in the design and use of advanced technologies.  Our goal is to
enhance the efficiency, effectiveness and quality of working
relationships between people as these are mediated both through the workstation
and a variety of other ways. To this end, we are exploring the possibilities
for creating multi-media and other interfaces to the flow of information within
organisations.  The processes of design are a major focus of our work.  We
are committed to finding ways of extending the involvement of end-users
within the design process.   More generally, we are also seeking
representations and tools to improve communication and collaboration
among designers, seeking to understand the organisational environment
for design and the ways in which this might predispose or inhibit the
utilisation of particular technologies within the design process.

To support our research, we have made a major investment in a
comprehensive infrastructure which incorporates an advanced computer
network and an analogue audio/video network.  These facilities  have
offered us novel ways of interconnecting people and allowing them access
to the information world in which they live and work.   We are
now looking to expand and further
explore the possibilities we are currently developing.

Enquiries and requests for further information should be sent to:

Bob Anderson (Acting Director)
Rank Xerox EuroPARC
61 Regent Street
Cambridge  CB2 1AB