[comp.lang.modula3] Welcome to comp.lang.modula3

muller@src.dec.com (Eric Muller) (12/19/90)

Here is a reminder about the charter of this newsgroup.

NAME:

  comp.lang.modula3

STATUS:

  unmoderated

CHARTER:

  Modula-3 is a new programming language (see below for a
  short description). This newsgroup would serve to discuss all
  aspects of the language, such as use of language, good style,
  availability of implementations, implementation techniques.

SHORT DESCRIPTION OF MODULA-3:

  Modula-3 is a new programming language.  The goals of its design are
  best encapsulated in the preface to the "The Modula-3 Report (Revised)",
  (L. Cardelli, J. Dohnaue, L. Glassman, M. Jordan, B. Kalsow, G. Nelson,
  DEC Systems Research Center, Palo Alto, CA and Olivetti Research
  Center, Menlo Park, CA, Nov 89.):

    The goal of Modula-3 is to be as simple and safe as it can be while
    meeting the needs of modern systems programmers.  Instead of exploring
    new features, we studied the features of the Modula family of languages
    that have proven themselves in practice and tried to simplify them
    into a harmonious language.  We found that most of the successful
    features were aimed at one of two main goals: greater robustness,
    and a simpler, more systematic type system.

    Modula-3 descends from Mesa, Modula-2, Cedar, and Modula-2+.  It also
    resembles its cousins Object Pascal, Oberon, and Euclid.

    Modula-3 retains one of Modula-2's most successful features, the
    provision for explicit interfaces between modules.  It adds objects
    and classes, exception handling, garbage collection, lightweight
    processes (or threads), and the isolation of unsafe features.

Eric Muller.
System Research Center - 130 Lytton Av. - Palo Alto, CA 94301 - (415) 853 2193

danforth@riacs.edu (Douglas G. Danforth) (12/21/90)

In <1990Dec18.234527.15456@src.dec.com> muller@src.dec.com (Eric Muller) writes:

>Here is a reminder about the charter of this newsgroup.

>NAME:

>  comp.lang.modula3

>STATUS:

>  unmoderated

>    Modula-3 retains one of Modula-2's most successful features, the
>    provision for explicit interfaces between modules.  It adds objects
>    and classes, exception handling, garbage collection, lightweight
>    processes (or threads), and the isolation of unsafe features.

>Eric Muller.
>System Research Center - 130 Lytton Av. - Palo Alto, CA 94301 - (415) 853 2193

Hey,
    Come on you guys.  I'm continually appalled at the number of languages
that keep appearing. Hasn't anyone heard of MAINSAIL? All these features have
been available commercially in MAINSAIL for 10 years.  MAINSAIL stands for
Machine Independent SAIL. Where SAIL stands for Stanford Artificial
Intelligence Language (actually the L stands for memo L from the AI lab).

History: Stanford AI Lab => Feigenbaum's Heuristic programming project =>
XIDAK (formed to market MAINSAIL).

For more information, contact:

XIDAK, Inc.
3475 Deer Creek road
Building C
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(415) 855-9271

(I'm just a user. Since 1972).
--
Douglas G. Danforth   		    (danforth@riacs.edu)
Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science (RIACS)