[comp.lang.modula3] Modula-3 implementations

system@syzzle.UUCP (SYSTEM 0PERATOR) (01/01/91)

	I have been programming in modula-2 under DOS for a while now, and after
reading the article in BYTE magazine, was looking forward to checking out
modula-3. I then read the message saying that Modula-3 required 35M of disk
space to implement? I understand that there is another implementation
available, is this also as LARGE? Are there any plans to port modula-3 to
MSDOS? Thanks for any answers you may have!
                              Al

muller@src.dec.com (Eric Muller) (01/03/91)

In article <6k02u1w163w@syzzle.UUCP>, system@syzzle.UUCP (SYSTEM 0PERATOR) writes:

> I have been programming in modula-2 under DOS for a while now, and after
> reading the article in BYTE magazine, was looking forward to checking out
> modula-3. I then read the message saying that Modula-3 required 35M of disk
> space to implement?

On a DECstation 5000:
	- 35 Mb to build the system
	-  8 Mb of permanent storage, including the libraries with the
	        bindings to X, Xt, Xaw which you may not need.

> I understand that there is another implementation
> available, is this also as LARGE?

The other implementation has been developped by the Olivetti Research
Center. Unfortunately, this lab is now closed, and I am not sure about
the current avaibility of their system.

Eric Muller.
System Research Center - 130 Lytton Av. - Palo Alto, CA 94301 - (415) 853 2193

mjordan@src.dec.com (Mick Jordan) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan2.162622.8920@src.dec.com>, muller@src.dec.com (Eric Muller) writes:

> The other implementation has been developped by the Olivetti Research
> Center. Unfortunately, this lab is now closed, and I am not sure about
> the current avaibility of their system.

The Olivetti system is no longer available. Since it requires more
machine resources than the SRC compiler, it would not satisfy the original
poster's requirements.

However, much of the Olivetti system, in particular the AST-based toolkit
will find its way into the SRC distribution soon. As of yesterday the
1.6 SRC system successfully built one of my tools for the first time
(the tool builds a proforma MODULE from an INTERFACE by AST transformation
and subsequent pretty printing).

Mick Jordan