[comp.lang.modula3] language change wishes

siebren@rivm.nl (Siebren van der Zee) (01/30/91)

In article <9101291633.AA07621@decpa.pa.dec.com> I403%DMAFHT1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Marc Wachowitz) writes:
>(* Get/set bahaviour of NEW on lack of memory.
>   The default behaviour should be AbortProgram, since this does not
>   require the attention by "innocent" programns *)

I don't think you should do it that way. How can I - after calling any
library function - know for sure the behaviour of new is still as it was
before the call? And should the behaviour of NEW for the other threads
change as well? I don't think state like this should be global.

Alternatively, one could pass the behaviour as a parameter to NEW.
By supplying a default for this parameter, you can make the change compatible
with old programs.

	Siebren