[comp.lang.modula3] Modula-3 for MSDOS, etc.

harbison@bert.pinecreek.com (03/05/91)

	From: Shaun Wetzstein <NU158739%NDSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
	Subject: wanted Modula-3 for (MSDOS)?

	Is it too early or does any one know of a M3 compiler for
	the PC running MS/PC-DOS?

	Shaun

I've been concerned about the lack of a Modula-3 implementation for MSDOS
for some time, and I've investigated some approaches to getting one. I'll use
the opportunity of Shaun Wetzstein's question to report what I know.

The short answer is: No, there aren't any yet.

I do know of one or two people who have expressed an intent to port
SRC Modula-3 to the PC. I don't know if they have started or how much
progress they have made. I don't know if they want their identities
released, so I won't name them.

A port of SRC Modula-3 to the PC is not straightforward, due to the
dependencies on long file names, BSD-style symbolic links, and the
generally large size of the implementation.  I think the approach
would be to first create a UNIX-to-PC cross compiler out of SRC
Modula-3, use it to generate a C version of the system, and then try
to build it on the PC with a C compiler that can handle large
applications. I'm sure there are some eager hackers out there who
would like to give it a try. Good for you! If you get it done, I'll
certainly publicize it for you.

Unfortunately, this will not get you a Modula-3 implementation that is
competitive with the very good Pascal, C++, and Modula-2
environments for the PC. That's what I really want to have.

I have approached some of the companies that have existing PC
environments for other languages, and have discussed licensing and
marketing proposals that would turn an existing integrated environment
for language X (say, Modula-2 or Pascal with objects) into an
integrated Modula-3 environment. (The work could be done either by the
company or by a third party.) Preliminary responses were generally
positive, with licensing/development fees in the $100K-500K range.
This may be a real opportunity for an entrepreneur, but so far I don't
believe anyone is pursuing it.  [Contact me if you're interested...]

I have heard rumors that a company is proceding on this path for a
Macintosh implementation of Modula-3. I don't have any more information.

An easier and still valuable project would be a port of SRC Modula-3 to
one of the PC UNIX environments--SCO, Interactive, Xenix. If you're
equipped to do that, go for it!  [Send me a note and I'll publicize it...]

Sam Harbison; harbison@bert.pinecreek.com
Pine Creek Software, Pgh, PA.
+1 412 681 9811